ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Don't know what to do! EEA2 but need to switch...

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

rastica
Newly Registered
Canada

Don't know what to do! EEA2 but need to switch...

Post by rastica » Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:52 pm

I'm on EEA2 as unmarried partner of EEA resident in the UK. I've been in the UK for 6.5 years, first two on working holiday visa, then through my EU partner of 7 years.

I recently lost my passport and had the brutal realization that I need to reapply all over again in order to get my visa replaced in my new passport. am due to apply for EEA4 soon anyway but -

This sparked an argument with my partner again and I think we are going to break up, he's not going to let me apply through him because... well, long story but he's not happy to give me this 'freedom'. Very controlling etc.

Anyway I don't know what to do, I feel really stuck and held at ransom (nothing physical but still upsetting). If I leave my partner what are my options?

- I am not eligible to keep right of residence through the Directive, because we are not married but unmarried - correct?
- I have enough points for the Highly Skilled category but that one is changed a lot, I think its not open anymore for swtiching application within the UK... need to look into this some more
- I could see if I could get work sponsors but this can be hard...

Is there any other category that I might stay? Its crazy that I have been here for so long and have no rights to stay on my own... I've lived here longer than any other country in my life, and nearly 7 years is a long time!

If I break up with him, how long do I have in order to change my visa category - i.e. how long do they give you from once you've told them there is a change in your circumstances (i.e. split up), from when you have to leave? (so how long do I have to get things together for myself, if I do leave him?)

Thanks for any advice, I don't know what to do.

bobobo

Re: Don't know what to do! EEA2 but need to switch...

Post by bobobo » Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:45 pm

I reckon if you are not married then RoR is out of question. Above all if he is not willing to help you to get PR then I am afraid your options are dwindling.

The only category that I cna think of is getting a Sponsor to apply for you so you can get a Visa maybe, again some immigration changes will be announced in April 2012 so I am not too sure what this could bring upon you.

Maybe some other more senior memebers can help you, but I reckon if you are unmarried the options available are not many.

I would say try to make mends and stick around for another 6 months, when you can apply for PR after which you are free to live your life as you please.
rastica wrote:I'm on EEA2 as unmarried partner of EEA resident in the UK. I've been in the UK for 6.5 years, first two on working holiday visa, then through my EU partner of 7 years.

I recently lost my passport and had the brutal realization that I need to reapply all over again in order to get my visa replaced in my new passport. am due to apply for EEA4 soon anyway but -

This sparked an argument with my partner again and I think we are going to break up, he's not going to let me apply through him because... well, long story but he's not happy to give me this 'freedom'. Very controlling etc.

Anyway I don't know what to do, I feel really stuck and held at ransom (nothing physical but still upsetting). If I leave my partner what are my options?

- I am not eligible to keep right of residence through the Directive, because we are not married but unmarried - correct?
- I have enough points for the Highly Skilled category but that one is changed a lot, I think its not open anymore for swtiching application within the UK... need to look into this some more
- I could see if I could get work sponsors but this can be hard...

Is there any other category that I might stay? Its crazy that I have been here for so long and have no rights to stay on my own... I've lived here longer than any other country in my life, and nearly 7 years is a long time!

If I break up with him, how long do I have in order to change my visa category - i.e. how long do they give you from once you've told them there is a change in your circumstances (i.e. split up), from when you have to leave? (so how long do I have to get things together for myself, if I do leave him?)

Thanks for any advice, I don't know what to do.