ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Passport expires in Septemeber and VISA is due in June

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

cpq.hims
BANNED

Passport expires in Septemeber and VISA is due in June

Post by cpq.hims » Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:16 am

Hi Guys,

My current tier 1 visa runs out on 2nd June 2012 and I will be filing for extension in first of week of May as per the guidance, however my passport expires in September - can you please advise if there would be any problem or shall i need to renew my passport before i file for extension or it can be renewed after VISA is filed?

Thanks to help!

Newly Registered

Post by 23367 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:38 am

IT will be better if Passport is renewed before going for visa extension.

cpq.hims
BANNED

Hi

Post by cpq.hims » Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:34 pm

Hi, buddy thanks for your reply...i hav to travvel and is having a bit of issue in getting renewal of passport, is there any guideline that how much validitiy should be there on passport???

i know its sounding stupid but i have a genuine issue:(

katwmn6

Re: Hi

Post by katwmn6 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:35 pm

cpq.hims wrote:Hi, buddy thanks for your reply...i hav to travvel and is having a bit of issue in getting renewal of passport, is there any guideline that how much validitiy should be there on passport???

i know its sounding stupid but i have a genuine issue:(
I would check with the embassy/consulate of your country of origin. Call and explain the situation and see if you are able to get an expedited passport renewal due to imminent travel (I was able to do this with the US embassy in London). It would be better to have the visa in your new passport anyway, otherwise you will need to pay to have the visa moved to your new passport, or you will need to carry around both passports until your next visa is issued (not necessarily a problem but can be annoying to carry two, and it often slows down checks at passport control, at least in my experience - they often thumb through every single visa in both of my passports!).

UKBALoveStory
Afghanistan

Re: Passport expires in Septemeber and VISA is due in June

Post by UKBALoveStory » Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:16 pm

cpq.hims wrote:Hi Guys,

My current tier 1 visa runs out on 2nd June 2012 and I will be filing for extension in first of week of May as per the guidance, however my passport expires in September - can you please advise if there would be any problem or shall i need to renew my passport before i file for extension or it can be renewed after VISA is filed?

Thanks to help!
As per my understanding, currently "VISA" is not stamped on the passport but provided as separate card (BRP). so i think you should be fine

katwmn6

Post by katwmn6 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:47 pm

Yes sorry was about to say the same - should be BRP now rather than actual visa in passport.

See here for another thread about passport validity:
http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewtopic.php?t=94509[/url]

QuickSam
BANNED

Post by QuickSam » Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:14 pm

Get passport renewed now if you have any doubts. Generally different countries allow passport renewal between 6 months - 1 year before passport expiry.

The visa however will only be issued if your passport is at least valid till the next 6 months. The BRP that is issued, is a card and is not a stamp on your passport but would still need your passport to be valid for the 6 month period.