ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

YIPPPEEEE I GOT MY SETTLEMENT VISA

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

coco
Newly Registered

YIPPPEEEE I GOT MY SETTLEMENT VISA

Post by coco » Tue Oct 10, 2006 11:53 am

Dear All,

Well I am back. Great news, got my spousal visa. As per the advice I received from this forum, I decided to bite the bullet and go home to ghana to apply.

I followed past examples of successful applicates. I made a separate file for myself, my husband and our daughter, our house that we own together and joint details for myself and my husband, ie joint bank account details, wedding pic, pics of our house etc.

I also provided testimonials from friends and family members. I included everything and left nothing to chance. I was also honest about overstaying, the reasons why and also working without a permit. I explained every point and pointed out that i was never my intention to breach the terms of my visa.

My interview is initially made for the 3rd of oct, however on the 21st of sept the BHC in ghana called me (here in the UK) and said it had to push my interview to the 11th of sept because there was no one available to conduct my interview on the 3rd of oct. I explained to the that I was starting a new job on the 9th and that i needed to be back in the UK by then, they then agree to see me the following monday the 25th of sept. if I could make my way down to ghana. I had to buy a new ticket and left on the 23rd of sept.

I arrived at the BHC at 6:55am and was finally called for the interview at 11:30am. Mine is probably the shortest interview in the history of the BHC in ghana. She was extreamly impressed with the way my application was organised and the only questioned she asked me was if there was anything else I was to add. I very briefly explained about overstaying, she was impressed with the honesty and said she is satisfied with what she had seen and to come back and pick up my settlement visa in 1 hour. The whole interview took less than 5mins. It was brillant.

The only problem I had was when I arrive in the UK this morning and had a difficult ECO to deal with. she wanted to know why I overstayed, I explained it to her, she insisted she would check out my story, had to wait around for awhile. I had always told the truth and she couldn't find anything to use against. She came back after her investigations and still insisted on why I overstayed, I explained it all to her again but she was not satified. Not having anything to use against me she said I am very lucky to have received my settlement visa and she does not know why it was issued to me and stamped my passport and let me go.

Later on when my husband picked my up, I cried soo much, that fact that the ECO treat me like I had commited the crime of the century, the hate and disgust in the eyes was just too much to bear, although, I never once made her think i was scared or intimidated by her questions.

Thank you all soo much. The advice you gave was really important and useful and the testimonals from successful applicates always encouraged me. Thank you all once again.

My advice is if need to go back home to apply for a spousal visa good preparation is key and be HONEST. If you have the relevant and necessary documentation and evidence you will be fine. Good Luck

London coool
BANNED

Post by London coool » Tue Oct 10, 2006 12:55 pm

Congrats on your Settlement visa, the person who interviewed you on your arrival in UK was an Immigration Officer not an ECO (who are based overseas). Your details of your previous Overstaying in the country is still being held in the HO database as part of your Immigration history and everytime you enter into UK you will be asked questions about it, (till you get a UK passport) so maintain the same storyline.

Chess
Diamond Member

Post by Chess » Tue Oct 10, 2006 4:44 pm

Congs - welldone

It all goes to show that this board is value for money...

Thank you all contributors

Chess
on behalf of moderators
Where there is a will there is a way.

ilm

Post by ilm » Tue Oct 10, 2006 5:29 pm

Cangratulations from me too. I bet, like us, you now wonder what all the worry was about, looking back on it it all now seemed so simple. You can also travel abroad; We have been on 5 foreign holidays since getting the visa just over a year ago, after not having one for 7 years!

I guess you can put up with the passport control as long as they let you in but I would like to know how they know you overstayed. My wife gets through passport control with no problem at all. Normally the only questions are where have you been, was it holiday etc. With no exit controls how do they know you were ever an overstayer?

coco
Newly Registered

Post by coco » Tue Oct 10, 2006 6:26 pm

My passport that I used to enter the country in 2001 was stolen (got all the police reports etc) The passport I used today had only my settlement visa in it and she wanted to know where the old one was, the last time I entered the country and the last time I left. I guess it was a good thing I didn't lie because she went and checked out my story.

She also asked if the BHC in ghana knew about me overstaying and I told her yes. She called and checked that as well. She was really angry, I guess because she didn't have any grounds to refuse entry.

I was with my daughter (who is british) She then wanted evidence to show that she was really my daughter and demanded her birth certificate. I told her I had it except it was in my main luggage that I checked in. She got snorty and said if I am travelling with a child I should know to have their birth certificate on me. I explained politely and told her sorry however I didn't know this. I am certain that if I had being angry or headstrong (which I am) she would have found some other reason to detain or refuse entry.

slim
Newly Registered

Post by slim » Wed Oct 11, 2006 3:21 am

Hi congratulations on your visa, pls my case is similar to yours but i have not applied yet, i want to know did you submit your application online from the the uk or someone did for you in ghana, which passport did you use and was it with the BHC or did you take it and your documents along for the interview.

coco
Newly Registered

Post by coco » Wed Oct 11, 2006 10:21 am

Hello Slim,

at the moment you can not submit your application online with the BHC in ghana. I prepared everything and my cousin submitted it for me. I however wrote a letter explaining why I could not be there in person (although they didn't ask for it) They will need to see your passport as well, I sent my by dhl (which as I understand is the legal way to send your passport across the waters) The passport, they will not keep, they just need to see it with your application and they give it back to whoever is submitting your application on your behalf. My cousin then sent it back to me via dhl and that is the passport I used. It was a new passport because my old was stolen.

I made photocopies of every document I submitted, they kept the photocopies and gave the originals to my cousin after she submitted my application. When I went for the interview, I took the originals with me and any new documentation that I wanted them to see.

I would say make everything clear and concise and straight to the point, if you have been working illegally like I was, don't lie about, turn that to your advantage. Tell them how much you have contributed in taxes since you have been working here and how you have contributed to the economy in your own little way. Also look professional, I wore my best power suit. Good luck.

slim
Newly Registered

Post by slim » Wed Oct 11, 2006 1:14 pm

hi coco
Although i will be applying in nigeria can you tell me
how long it took from the time you submitted and the time they gave you your interview date, how did they notify you of the interview date by phone,email or letter.
I also overstayed coz of medical issues when i found out i was pregnant and had my baby who is now bristish but i have never worked here. Did they ask about using Nhs when you had your child?

thanks

coco
Newly Registered

Post by coco » Wed Oct 11, 2006 1:51 pm

Hello Slim,

My cousin submited my application on the 28th of July 2006 and I was given an interview date for the 3rd of Oct 2006. The interview date was give to my cousin the same day she submitted my application. However they called my home phone here in the UK when they wanted to change my interview date from the 3rd to the 11th of oct.

The issue of using the NHS never came up, all I did was explain why I overstayed and provided supporting evidence to that fact. Good luck. :D

slim
Newly Registered

Post by slim » Wed Oct 11, 2006 7:47 pm

thanks alot coco, pls at what time did you tell about overstaying on the application forms or verbally at the interview.

you have been most helpful

coco
Newly Registered

Post by coco » Wed Oct 11, 2006 7:53 pm

My husband stated it in his sponsor's letter and when filling the application, I guess the dates of entry into the UK were self explanatory to the ECO that I had overstayed. I also verbally mentioned it at my interview and briefly explained why, exactly as my husband had put in the sponsorship letter.

keni
Newly Registered

DP3/96

Post by keni » Wed Oct 18, 2006 4:55 pm

Coco, Congratulations!!!
Pls could you advise on my current situation pls which I posted on this board months ago.. I applied for Further Leave to remain (FLR M) and has been waiting 2 years for a decision from the HO. My MP wrote to the Home Office Minister 6 months ago regarding the delay and he was advised that my application will be dealt with asap, but I'm still waiting.
I'm really fed up now and considering withdrawing my application and returning to my Home Country..Nigeria to process my spousal visa. How do I go about this pls?
Do I request my documents from the HO and tender the same documents at the BHC in Nigeria or what do u advise.

Pls any suggestions?

coco
Newly Registered

Re: DP3/96

Post by coco » Thu Oct 19, 2006 9:20 pm

keni wrote:Coco, Congratulations!!!
Pls could you advise on my current situation pls which I posted on this board months ago.. I applied for Further Leave to remain (FLR M) and has been waiting 2 years for a decision from the HO. My MP wrote to the Home Office Minister 6 months ago regarding the delay and he was advised that my application will be dealt with asap, but I'm still waiting.
I'm really fed up now and considering withdrawing my application and returning to my Home Country..Nigeria to process my spousal visa.

How do I go about this pls?
Keni, I am not sure what the process is if you have already applied from within the UK, I general feedback i got before applying for my visa back home, was that generally the application is denied, and your best bet is to go back to nigeria. The only who benefit are the lawyers involved. When i went to see a solictor to process my application he quote quite a ridiculous amont of money, however going back to ghana only cost my my plane fair and the visa fees.
Do I request my documents from the HO and tender the same documents at the BHC in Nigeria or what do u advise.
Why don't you call the HO and find out how to go about it. They should be able to advice you. My advice go back to nigeria and apply from there, you will be ok if you have all the relevant documentation to support your application. Good luck.
Pls any suggestions?