ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Tier-1 visa end date and new job

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

arnie365

Tier-1 visa end date and new job

Post by arnie365 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:45 am

Can my Tier1 visa-end-date work against me in getting a new contract/job?At least a contract which ends before my Tier1 end date? Why should an employer/agency doubt that I may not get an extension?

QuickSam
BANNED

Post by QuickSam » Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:53 am

Can you give a guarantee that you will get an extension?

If not, the employers/agencies generally don't want to take the risk with such candidates. That is the reason when you are applying for an extension, look at your job situation as well or be ready to be out of contract work for a month or two in case you are a contractor.

If you were an employer, what would you do if you received an application from a candidate whom you think might not even be able to live in the country if he / she doesn't get an extension?

Even though you are covered by law (3c and 3d) even then an employer won't consider getting into legal issues by hiring such a contractor.

The best thing to do is to assess your situation well. If you are in a stable contract, be ready to apply 2-3 months (even 6 months if you are ready to pay for another extension before ILR) in advance so that you don't end up in this situation.

When I applied for an extension, I was lucky to get a 3 month extension with the client where I had already worked for 1 year and no one cared to check for the visa and other related stuff.

goldfish
Member of Standing

Post by goldfish » Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:18 pm

It depends how close you are to the visa expiring when you would start the new job. I had 6 months left on my visa and was offered a 12 month contract.

I decided to take a 3 month contract at another company (I liked the work better). The company would usually extend for 6 months each time, but in my case they set the contract end date to match the visa expiry. When I applied for my visa extension a month before expiry, they asked for proof that it had been received (acknowledgement letter) and extended one month at a time until the visa was extended.

If you are close to your visa expiring, you can understand that a company wouldn't want to take the risk that you might not get an extension and would not be employable.

arnie365

Post by arnie365 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:34 pm

goldfish wrote:It depends how close you are to the visa expiring when you would start the new job. I had 6 months left on my visa and was offered a 12 month contract.

I decided to take a 3 month contract at another company (I liked the work better). The company would usually extend for 6 months each time, but in my case they set the contract end date to match the visa expiry. When I applied for my visa extension a month before expiry, they asked for proof that it had been received (acknowledgement letter) and extended one month at a time until the visa was extended.

If you are close to your visa expiring, you can understand that a company wouldn't want to take the risk that you might not get an extension and would not be employable.
I have about 9 months remaining. Am I employable, at least for a 6 months contract? Really worried as I haven't been getting any calls for the last 4 weeks of job search...or when I get a response saying, "your application has not been successful this time", whether is due to the time limit on my visa...:?

QuickSam
BANNED

Post by QuickSam » Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:44 pm

9 months is more than plenty....

ajitpahuja
Newly Registered

Hi QuickSam,

Post by ajitpahuja » Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:19 am

QuickSam wrote:9 months is more than plenty....
I am planning to Visit UK within a month or so. Could you provide me some inputs to the contract job market scenario in UK currently.

What I get as a feedback from the consultants is that it is tough to get into a financial organisation in UK.

I have good 5 year experience in India working for 2 of the bulge bracket Investment banks and a global IT firm. Besides, I possess a postgraduate degree from IIT Bombay.

I am also a candidate for CFA Level-II.

Considering this profile, I get numerous calls from Indian consultants but I don't understand why I am not getting even a single call from the UK recruitment firms though I have given them a UK address and a UK telephone number.

My Visa would get expired in March 2013 and desperately want to get it extended.

Is there some different strategy to go about. Probably you might be able to help as you would have gone through all this.

Thanks.

Regards,

Ajit