ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Biometric Question

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

FunkMaster

Biometric Question

Post by FunkMaster » Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:42 pm

Hey Guys,

I've just got my ILR and didn't need to do any of the Biometric stuff, but wanted to find out, can I enroll for the Biometric stuff after my ILR has been issued.

Is it just a matter of booking it at either the PEO or one of those Post Offices and doing it ... or is there more to it?

Also, is there a cost associated with it?

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Re: Biometric Question

Post by Greenie » Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:30 pm

FunkMaster wrote:Hey Guys,

I've just got my ILR and didn't need to do any of the Biometric stuff, but wanted to find out, can I enroll for the Biometric stuff after my ILR has been issued.

Is it just a matter of booking it at either the PEO or one of those Post Offices and doing it ... or is there more to it?

Also, is there a cost associated with it?

you have your ILR, presumably in your passport, so why do you now think you need to enrol your biometrics?

FunkMaster

Post by FunkMaster » Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:42 pm

Hey,

Correct, I have my ILR in my passport, was just wondering if there is a need to or a benefit to having the Biometric ID card thing.

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Greenie » Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:47 pm

FunkMaster wrote:Hey,

Correct, I have my ILR in my passport, was just wondering if there is a need to or a benefit to having the Biometric ID card thing.
They haven't introduced biometrics for ILR applicants yet, when they do at the end of the month it will be for applicants, not those who already have ILR (although I would imagine if you wish to transfer your ILR to a new passport in the future they you will need to give biometrics). there is no option or need for you to do so at the moment.

nnj10

Post by nnj10 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:56 pm

You seem to be in better position.
I would prefer my ILR stamped in passport rather than carry a BRP card.

SpokenHands

No Time Limit

Post by SpokenHands » Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:04 pm

I received my ILR vignette sticker this evening at the Croydon PEO.

I prefer carrying a BRP as it is being extended to all ILR applicants from 29 Feb and employers are being trained to ask for and receive BRP as proof of indefinite leave. So I asked the biometrics case officer if I could have one as they already have my biometric data on file.

He said it is not possible at the moment but after 29 feb, if I did ever file for a transfer of visa (presumably to a new passport), the new "No Time Limit" visa (ILR in another name) would be a BRP. There is a fee for this and they would need to collect your biometric data all over again.

He also mentioned expect very long waits at PEOs from 29 Feb as the biometric data collection for every applicant and dependants plus collation onto BRP card takes additional 60-90 minutes.

Hope this clarifies.

linkers
Respected Guru

Post by linkers » Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:19 pm

SpokenHands, when you say expect very long waits at PEOs from 29 Feb, does this mean they would reduce the ILR slots in all PEOs ?
As at the moment there are plenty of slots available for SET(O) ILRs.

SpokenHands

Biometric process after grant of ILR will add 60-90 minutes

Post by SpokenHands » Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:05 am

The case officer at the biometric customer enquiry desk suggested that from 29 Feb 2012, after a decision to grant ILR was made in the usual manner, applicants would need to provide biometric data for the card to be prepared. This is an additional step in the process and adds between 60 to 90 minutes to the minimum 3 hours that the UKBA currently aims for ILR decisions at a PEO.

He made no reference to a reduction of interview slots, either at Croydon or at any other PEOs, and none was inferred by me either.

linkers
Respected Guru

Post by linkers » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:29 pm

Thanks for this SpokenHands.