ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Cohabitation urgent question

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

kzkalra
Newly Registered

Cohabitation urgent question

Post by kzkalra » Sun Jul 31, 2011 2:36 am

Dear members,

I've following documents as evidence of Cohabitation for me and my wife:

1) 2009
- Wife (dependent): Bank statement & letter from HMRC on contribution to National insurance
- Myself (main applicant): Bank statements, HMRC letter, Utility bills
2) 2010
- Wife: Tenancy agreement dated 2010, Bank statements
- Myself: bank statements, Utility bills, car insurance
3) 2011
- Wife: tenancy agreement dated 2011, bank statement, letter from dentist
- Myself: Bank statements, utility bills, car insurance

One more important point we arrived in UK five years back at the same time and we've married for last 10 years with 9 year daughter
Can someone please clarify that these are sufficient? In short I've got 3 sources - Bank, tenancy agreement & HMRC however for different period or applicant

I'm bit worried about the Cohabitation docs. I'll be applying for ILR as soon as i get the next appointment in person.

Thanks for your help!

kzkalra
Newly Registered

Re: Cohabitation urgent question

Post by kzkalra » Sun Jul 31, 2011 5:31 pm

Just to simplify the query:

Can i show my wife's bank statement (on her name only) & my bank statement for the last 3 years as a proof of cohab?

Do i need to get the bank statements stamped as they are the downloaded copies from internet?

Thanks,

imran22
Member of Standing

Post by imran22 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:58 am

kzkalra wrote:
Do i need to get the bank statements stamped as they are the downloaded copies from internet?

Thanks,
I am not too sure about your first question so i will not answer that, but to answer your second question you do need to get the bank statement verified or request the bank statements on official letter head.

Downloaded ones are not acceptable as far as i know

adamboston

Post by adamboston » Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:14 am

kzkalra wrote:Can i show my wife's bank statement (on her name only) & my bank statement for the last 3 years as a proof of cohab?
The proof of cohab means you both lived at the same address at the same time. That doesn't have to be in joint names but if they are not then it is strongly advised that you 'must' sumbit more than 6 documents from 3 or more different sources in last 2 years.
kzkalra wrote:Do i need to get the bank statements stamped as they are the downloaded copies from internet?
As imran has already advised online statements are not acceptable, I can only share my experience. Actually I tried to do the same, went to bank along with my printed online statements and they refused to stamp, instead they printed the lot themselves and stamped it. They don’t have time to go through ally the transections, one by one, on your online statements (printed by you) to ensure they are not forged.

Just ask them to print and stamp the statements and in case they charge you the maximum statutory fee is £10 (under DPA).
Adam

'To me no human is alien - but to some no aliens are human'.

mfl
Newly Registered

ILR

Post by mfl » Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:17 pm

I think you are worrying too much.

You have enough to prove. just one thing i am not sure. If you are printing previous statements, will they show your previous address. If yes, you need to get them stamped.

kzkalra
Newly Registered

Post by kzkalra » Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:52 pm

adamboston wrote: The proof of cohab means you both lived at the same address at the same time. That doesn't have to be in joint names but if they are not then it is strongly advised that you 'must' sumbit more than 6 documents from 3 or more different sources in last 2 years.
Thanks adamboston and everyone else. I know I could be worrying too much but would rather not take any risk as well. The only solid proof unfortunately that we've got are the bank statements which I'll ask the bank to print out and get it stamped for one month in each year (source 1 possibly).
The rent agreement is only available from for 2010 & 2011 (source 2)
Letter from HMRC for 2009 in my wife's name in our old address (source 3)
Virginmedia bills in my name for all the years 1 month in each of the 3 years 2009/2010/2011 (source 4)

Do you (adamboston/ Imran/ mfl) think that the above is sufficient proof?

Thanks guys for your response so far.

adamboston

Post by adamboston » Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:00 pm

kzkalra wrote:
adamboston wrote: The proof of cohab means you both lived at the same address at the same time. That doesn't have to be in joint names but if they are not then it is strongly advised that you 'must' sumbit more than 6 documents from 3 or more different sources in last 2 years.
Thanks adamboston and everyone else. I know I could be worrying too much but would rather not take any risk as well. The only solid proof unfortunately that we've got are the bank statements which I'll ask the bank to print out and get it stamped for one month in each year (source 1 possibly).
The rent agreement is only available from for 2010 & 2011 (source 2)
Letter from HMRC for 2009 in my wife's name in our old address (source 3)
Virginmedia bills in my name for all the years 1 month in each of the 3 years 2009/2010/2011 (source 4)

Do you (adamboston/ Imran/ mfl) think that the above is sufficient proof?

Thanks guys for your response so far.
Do you have any more correspondence in your wife's name?

Literally anything? Gp, hospital letters, medical docs, credit card statements, catalogue account statements, anything?
Adam

kzkalra
Newly Registered

Post by kzkalra » Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:05 pm

Unfortunately, we recently destroyed all the old letters when we moved to our new house (i wish i knew about this requirement!)

There is one dental treatment estimate in her name but that too is only for this year July 2011.
National insurance letter dated 2007 in her name.

She also has p-60 for 2009 but I don't want to show that as it has Mr in the title instead of Mrs.

Today I added her name in the virginmedia bill but it will be only available for 1 month viz august 2011.

adamboston

Post by adamboston » Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:21 pm

kzkalra wrote:Unfortunately, we recently destroyed all the old letters when we moved to our new house (i wish i knew about this requirement!)

There is one dental treatment estimate in her name but that too is only for this year July 2011.
National insurance letter dated 2007 in her name.

She also has p-60 for 2009 but I don't want to show that as it has Mr in the title instead of Mrs.

Today I added her name in the virginmedia bill but it will be only available for 1 month viz august 2011.
Letter from dentist is a good one too as long as it has your wife's name on it.

I too destroyed most of the stuff in past without realising they would be required in future.

I asked our GP to give us the copies of couple of letters from hospital consultants in 2009 and 2010, in wifey's name. I also attached a letter from GP confirming we both are registered with him since 2004 (GPs normally charge £12-£72 for such letter but our GP didn't)

I also rang Natwest Credit card helpline and ordered a statement from each year, in my wife and my name (separate), total 3 quid for each statement, so paid £12 in total. Luckily we kept our statements for this year.

I also paid £10 to local Elections office to get a letter confirming that we both are registered voters at our address since 2008.

Rang Littlewoods, told my wife used to have a catalogue account (which she never used) back in 2008. I just asked them if they could send me a copy of the agreement letter along with the statements. Good people: they sent the docs in 10 working days.

The point I am making here is even though you have destroyed most of the correspondence there's still a way to get most of the stuff back.

I would echo what mfl said you are worrying too much but if you can then it is advised to include more docs.

Good Luck
Adam

PV56
Newly Registered

Cohabitation requirements 3 different sources

Post by PV56 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:36 pm

Hi,
Does anybody know exactly what constitutes 3 different sources for cohabitation documents.

a)Can bank statements from two different banks be considered as two different sources
b)Can bank statement and credit card of the same bank constitute 2 different sources
c)How should they be spread over the two years

greatxander

Re: Cohabitation requirements 3 different sources

Post by greatxander » Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:21 pm

PV56 wrote:Hi,
Does anybody know exactly what constitutes 3 different sources for cohabitation documents.

a)Can bank statements from two different banks be considered as two different sources
b)Can bank statement and credit card of the same bank constitute 2 different sources
c)How should they be spread over the two years
I'm also confused with this, all we have at the moment are the ff:

Applicant: bank statement from lloyds, bank statement from hsbc, nhs card
Dependant: bank statement from barclays, telephone bil, tv license, nhs card.

We cant submit council tax, water, electricity, gas because it is all included on the rent, do you think what we have at the moment will be fine? By the way the only joont account we have is hsbc bank statement.

Hope to hear from you guys..

man4uni

Post by man4uni » Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:49 pm

Hello greatxander!

Can you please confirm how did your interview go ?

I am quiet not clear on the co-hab docs!

Cheers,

FunkMaster

Post by FunkMaster » Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:52 pm

Hi All,

I applied for my ILR (WP -2yrs, + 3yrs on FLR) and my wife as a dependant.

I had all of the documents described above and they didn't even use them

http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewtopic.php?t=94828

sunil.suneel
Member of Standing

Post by sunil.suneel » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:07 pm

Well its not that they never ask ....

Its always better to be prepared not to risk your application for lack of documentation ...

Some people get away without being asked ... they are just lucky , doesnt mean everybody will have the same caseworker in the same jolly mood ...

So grab as much proofs possible and hope for the best ....

mithai420

Post by mithai420 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:19 pm

I wanted to ask a thing reg cohab docs - Do we require docs for last 2 Years before applying Or any 2 years ......

Example : If I apply in May 2012 so I need cohab docs for last 2 years thats on/after May 2010- May 2012 ?

OR I can give docs like May 2011-May 2012 and 1 year in 2009.

Please help.

push
United Kingdom

Post by push » Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:19 pm

mithai420 wrote:I wanted to ask a thing reg cohab docs - Do we require docs for last 2 Years before applying Or any 2 years ......

Example : If I apply in May 2012 so I need cohab docs for last 2 years thats on/after May 2010- May 2012 ?

OR I can give docs like May 2011-May 2012 and 1 year in 2009.

Please help.
latest 2 years.
regards,
push
Important: Please read this Disclaimer

push
United Kingdom

Post by push » Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:42 pm

SET(O) Form Page 32: "If you have a spouse or civil partner listed in section 2 of this application form who is applying at the same
time as you, please provide documentary evidence of cohabitation since you were last granted leave (up to a maximum of two years). Evidence provided should cover the whole period and be in the form of official letters or documents, addressed to yourself and your spouse."
regards,
push
Important: Please read this Disclaimer

mithai420

Post by mithai420 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:47 pm

Thanks ..

It says : up to a maximum of two years ......does it means any 2 years or latest - still unclear

and how many cohab docs are enough ...

nnj10

Post by nnj10 » Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:21 am

I would interpret as last 2 years.
Cause if spouse was included in last grant of leave they would have some documentation to that effect, UKBA Just wants to see that the spouse is still in co-habitation.