ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Oh No ! I Have Made a Mistake (SETM) - Kindly Advise Pls :(

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Jaz1212
Newly Registered

Oh No ! I Have Made a Mistake (SETM) - Kindly Advise Pls :(

Post by Jaz1212 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:48 am

Hello. First of all let me congratulate and applaud such a wonderful website and the efforts of the moderators and contributors. Being in these immigration situations naturally makes one feel very apprehensive and it is really assuring and comforting to know that one is not alone and there is this support .

Anyway about my story. My lovely wife came to this country on a spouse visa in March 2008. So the Expiry was in March 2010. We got this extended for another 2 years to March 2012.

I completed the ILR setm form last month and sent it off on 16/11/11 . They received it on the 17/11/11 and I got the acknowledgement letter from Croydon dated 21/11/11. I just phoned up my bank to ask what date the £972 was taken from the account and they told me it was taken on the 24/11/11.

Now I have just realised after reading this forum that they tell you NOT to apply 28 days before the visa expires. Me being the foolish idiot that I am applied, as you can see from above, on the 16/11/11 instead of applying in February 2012. I for some dumb reason took it to mean that you have to apply at LEAST 28 days before it expires. So for anyone reading don't make the same mistake!

Now I am very worried because I am thinking that I have really messed up that 28 day rule in a big way - by a good few months.

Can anyone please advise me what I should do . . .

Should I call them and tell them to send it back to me so I can then re-apply within the 28 day period IE in February 2012 . . . ?

Will they send the whole application back to me (inc all docs like passports/utilities/letters/proofs) . . . ?

Should I just wait on it and hope for the best that they accept my mistake seeing as I have received the Croydon confirmation letter and the fact that they have taken the money out of my bank account already . . . ?

My case seems to me straightforward (God-willing!) What I mean is that I work full time and always have done, we don't claim any benefits (apart from child benefit) . I have provided all the documents they have asked for [ 7 payslips, 6 utility bills , 6 healthcare letters , 4 credit card statements , 4 bank statements etcetc] We live with my parents (so no rent !!) and am, not and never will be (God-willing!), dependant on the state.

What does it mean that they have taken the money from my account - is it confirmation of anything . . . ? And seeing they took the money out on 24/11/11 when they received the application on 17/11/11 - could that indicate towards something ?

I feel like screaming but instead I will ask one of you nice people to respond and advise me . . .

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:14 am

My lovely wife came to this country on a spouse visa in March 2008. So the Expiry was in March 2010. We got this extended for another 2 years to March 2012.

I completed the ILR setm form last month and sent it off on 16/11/11 .
Stop worrying! There is no problem in that. Your wife has clearly lived in the UK for more than two years. The "28 day rule" does not apply to her.
John

Jaz1212
Newly Registered

Post by Jaz1212 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:41 pm

John,

Thank you so much. That has put my mind at ease.

I am going to try and be much more of an optimist now and with this in mind I would like to ask another question please :

When my wife receives her ILR can you or anyone else guide me very basically what the procedure is to obtain naturalisation. Where do I get the form . . . ? How much does it cost. . . ? Will my wife have to take any further tests of any sort . . . ? Can I apply straight away or do I have to wait until 5 years are complete . . . ?

Thanks Jaz1212

Jaz1212
Newly Registered

Post by Jaz1212 » Fri Dec 02, 2011 3:48 pm

Naturalisation ? . . . Anyone ?

I only need a very very brief response. Thanks. More about the timeframe about when I can apply after receiveing ILR

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Fri Dec 02, 2011 4:33 pm

If you hold British nationality, once she has ILR she can apply for BC as soon as she has spent 3 years in total legally resident in the UK.
Apply on form AN. She won't need any further language qualifications. The current cost of BC is shown on the application form but fees may rise again in 2012.

Jaz1212
Newly Registered

Success

Post by Jaz1212 » Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:30 am

Hi all. Received my wifes Indefinite Leave to Remain yesterday.

Thank you all at this website for making it what it is. It brings such peace of mind and help when it is most needed. Thanks.

*** Some virtual Mitai for you all ! :) ***

(Timeline :

Posted App : 16/11/11
Received ILR : 27/01/12)

chrisrich

Re: Success

Post by chrisrich » Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:04 pm

Jaz1212 wrote:Hi all. Received my wifes Indefinite Leave to Remain yesterday.

Thank you all at this website for making it what it is. It brings such peace of mind and help when it is most needed. Thanks.

*** Some virtual Mitai for you all ! :) ***

(Timeline :

Posted App : 16/11/11
Received ILR : 27/01/12)
Congs Jaz1212
God has made everything beautiful in its time

sunil.suneel
Member of Standing

Post by sunil.suneel » Sun Jan 29, 2012 12:55 am

Congrats Jaz1212 ...

Are you looking to apply for BC immediately ??? as your wife has already completed the required 3 years of residence as your dependent ???

setMyasin

visa

Post by setMyasin » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:30 pm

Congrats jaz. Enjoy your stay. Just hope my wife's passports comes soon as its just been 6 weeks and we expected to fly abroad in 2 weeks times. :(

Jaz1212
Newly Registered

Post by Jaz1212 » Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:16 pm

Thanks Chrisrich !

Thanks Sunil, yes I hope to apply for British Citizenship very soon. My wife's passport expires in July 2012 aswell, so another reason to do it quickly! I am going to use the Nationality Checking Service to send off my forms because I want to keep our passports this time! My local council, Wandsworth, provides this service and charges £45 so it is quite reasonable. Although when I found out about the fees for the AN application I was quite shocked - it is around £870. Just having spent £972 on the ILR SET (M) was expensive enough but now to add that it is nearly 2 grand ! I am going to apply now as I have a feeling they may be putting up the fees soon.

Having now got the ILR for my wife and gone through the postal experience this is what I think ~
If you are the type of person that worries a lot about these things and finds that being anxious over a period of time makes you very stressed out and upset, then think about applying for a sameday appointment at the PEO. I have seen the waiting times on here for people and the average seems to be about 13/14weeks before they hear back. I know the sameday appointment costs £400 more but I say that if you are one of the people I have described above and can get together the extra £400 then it might be worth it for you in the long run. Personally I was a bit worried and apprehensive about the application during the time I was waiting but was really confident aswell at the same time because my application was watertight (as you will see re: the docs I supplied in my original post above).

Thanks setMyasin, I hope your wife's passport comes very soon and you get to go away aswell.

Once again thank you all very much, I will visit back regularly even though my work here is 'done' ! I would just like to also leave a comment as I go ~ I am very impressed with the level of English people have as a whole on this forum. I was very prejudiced before I came here and thought that nearly all the people who are immigrants wouldn't even be able to string a sentence together. There have been many people here who have proved that theory of mine wrong !