ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

EEA2 years before marriage count towards PR/Naturalisation?

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

leighsabine
Newly Registered

EEA2 years before marriage count towards PR/Naturalisation?

Post by leighsabine » Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:50 am

Apologies for posting again and thanks to all who have been helping me so far. I just need to get as many opinions as possible before I apply for my naturalisation please!

Basically, still have one point on which I can't get a straight answer from UKBA...

Do my years before marriage count towards PR and naturalisation?!

I have had a couple of caseworkers say they don't even though I have my letter from the Home Office stating Family Member of EEA National dated March 2006.
The UKBA say that's just a citizenship status and does not count towards Naturalisation!

2006 - 2008 Residence Permit (Family member of EEA national).
2008 - 2013 Residence Documentation (Residence Card of a family
member of an EEA National)
2009 - Get married
2011 - Supposed start of automatic Permanent Residence
2012 - Naturalisation ?!?!

Thanks in advance to anyone who can reassure me on this one!
Last edited by leighsabine on Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

leighsabine
Newly Registered

Post by leighsabine » Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:06 am

can anybody help?
thanks

Kitty

Post by Kitty » Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:01 pm

The answer to your question is in the other threads: yes.

Once you are issued documentation as a family member then you can rely on that status.

The Regulation you need to refer to is Regulation 7(3) of the Immigration (European Economic Area) Reuglations 2006:
7.—(3) Subject to paragraph (4), a person who is an extended family member and has been issued with an EEA family permit, a registration certificate or a residence card shall be treated as the family member of the relevant EEA national for as long as he continues to satisfy the conditions in regulation 8(2), (3), (4) or (5) in relation to that EEA national and the permit, certificate or card has not ceased to be valid or been revoked.

leighsabine
Newly Registered

Post by leighsabine » Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:17 pm

Thank you SO much Kitty. In all my searching, I didn't see that piece of information.

On that basis, would you say I have a good chance of a successful Naturalisation application, even without my PR?
Should I include a covering letter with the application and any advice on what it should say?

Many thanks once again.