ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Absence allowed during minor child's citizenship application

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

ITGuru
India

Absence allowed during minor child's citizenship application

Post by ITGuru » Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:58 pm

I have applied for citizenship for my minor child aged 6. He is in Ireland for the last 6 + years. I plan to go back to my country for a couple of years with my child.

Would be absence of the child be a problem in getting his application approved? ie. Does a child need to be physically present in Ireland while his Citizenship application is processed?

One the application is approved is a GP letter or Letter from his school required for getting the naturalisation cert?

adlexy

Re: Absence allowed during minor child's citizenship applica

Post by adlexy » Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:35 pm

ITGuru wrote:I have applied for citizenship for my minor child aged 6. He is in Ireland for the last 6 + years. I plan to go back to my country for a couple of years with my child.

Would be absence of the child be a problem in getting his application approved? ie. Does a child need to be physically present in Ireland while his Citizenship application is processed?

One the application is approved is a GP letter or Letter from his school required for getting the naturalisation cert?
ITGuru, If you have applied and submitted, it means that you have completed all the statutory requirements for a minor application. Haveyou received a reference number for him?

Generally, based on current status they should get back to you within 6months with approval.

However, if you are just planning to submit, I will suggest that you make the application first before the child leaves the Island of Ireland.

As a general rule of the thumb, the child is NOT required to be physically present all through the application process up to your collection of a passport for him/her BUT the expectation of the INIS is that the child is present in the country.

All the best!

ITGuru
India

Already got reference number

Post by ITGuru » Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:39 pm

He already got his Reference Number.

So in the absence of the child after getting the CITZ reference number how the process till getting the passport occurs?

adlexy

Re: Already got reference number

Post by adlexy » Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:29 pm

ITGuru wrote:He already got his Reference Number.

So in the absence of the child after getting the CITZ reference number how the process till getting the passport occurs?
The process is as follows (assuming that everything you submit is correct):

1. Approval letter arrives and you should pay e200 and 2x PP picture to the INIS - child fee (Children do not need to go through OATHS or Ceremony)

2. A certificate of Naturalisation is sent to you on behalf of your child

3. With the CoN, you can then go ahead and get the Passport Application form

4. During completion of the passport form, you MAY need the child :)

5. Some spaces need completion by the Doctor to confirm it is the child, if this is your doctor and already knows you, he/she may not care to physically see the child before he/she signs.

6. But Garda also need to complete a space and sign back of PP photo - The Garda may want to see the child before he signs :( Though some will just sign and not bother!

7. I guess the difficult part is to get the Certificate which normally will not need the presence of the child.

8. In some instance, you may be able to travel to Ireland with the child with the CoN - because as an Irish citizen, the child will only need a proof of ID and the CoN should carry the child's PP size picture submitted in (1) above. But I am not sure if the airline from your country will agree to carry a child without a valid visa but a CoN. However, the EU free movement should allow you do that as long as you can prove the child is yours - but again, the airline and airport staffs dont care to know about EU directives :(

9. Your best shot may be slow down the child trip and get the approval before the child leaves.

10. If I missed something, it is unlikely to be critical (I hope :) )

ITGuru
India

Thanks a mil, adlexy

Post by ITGuru » Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:57 am

Thanks adlexy,
Fortunately the child has multi-entry visa valid till 2015, so that I could bring him if the need arises.

Do you know how long it would take to get the approval and then the naturalisation cert ?

IQU
Diamond Member

Post by IQU » Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:32 pm

3-6 months currently time frame .