ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

self-sufficiency - does it matter where the funds are?

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

keloid

self-sufficiency - does it matter where the funds are?

Post by keloid » Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:30 am

Just a quick question - applying for a Residence Card in Ireland for my spouse on the basis of my exercising my EU Treaty Rights by being self-sufficient.

Proof of funds are obviously required. All of my funds however are not in Ireland - but are in another EU state. For the Residence Card application, does it matter where the location of the funds are?

newbieholland
United Kingdom

Re: self-sufficiency - does it matter where the funds are?

Post by newbieholland » Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:43 am

keloid wrote:Just a quick question - applying for a Residence Card in Ireland for my spouse on the basis of my exercising my EU Treaty Rights by being self-sufficient.

Proof of funds are obviously required. All of my funds however are not in Ireland - but are in another EU state. For the Residence Card application, does it matter where the location of the funds are?
It does not matter where the funds are as long as they are available.
"The time to repair the roof is when the sun is shining."

adlexy

Post by adlexy » Sat Feb 04, 2012 1:35 pm

keloid wrote:Just a quick question - applying for a Residence Card in Ireland for my spouse on the basis of my exercising my EU Treaty Rights by being self-sufficient.

According to the Explanatory notes:

E. Residing with sufficient resources -
Where the EU citizen has sufficient resources to maintain themselves and any dependants in the State, while possessing comprehensive sickness/ health insurance in respect of them self, their spouse, and any dependants. A person shall be regarded as not having sufficient resources to support them self and any dependants where that person would qualify for assistance under Part 3 of the Social Welfare Consolidation Act 2005 (No. 26 of 2005) if a claim were made by them or on their behalf.

If the EU citizen has sufficient resources the following documents should be provided:
• Bank statements AND/OR evidence of financial resources
• Letter from private medical insurance provider for EU citizen and any dependants

The principal requirement is that with your "self sufficient fund" you must NOT be qualified for any social welfare payment. Please note that NOT qualified is not the same as NOT receiving. You may be qualified and NOT be receiving, which still means that you are not qualified to make the application through that route.

The critical requirement is that you must NOT be qualified to receive the payments. Such that even if you tried to make an application for payment, you will be deemed NOT qualified under the set out criteria.

Even though there are no specific requirements for the funds to be based in Ireland, it will be very helpful if you have sufficient funds in a bank here. As that also shows your "commitments" to the state in a subtle way :)

All the best

newbieholland
United Kingdom

Post by newbieholland » Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:04 pm

adlexy wrote:
Even though there are no specific requirements for the funds to be based in Ireland, it will be very helpful if you have sufficient funds in a bank here. As that also shows your "commitments" to the state in a subtle way :)

All the best

I assume Keloid is from UK from his last few posts. There is no need to WASTE your money transferring your funds from UK to Ireland and pay for the currency exchange. This is absolutely unneseccery. You dont have to show any commitments to qualify under the EU law.
"The time to repair the roof is when the sun is shining."

keloid

Post by keloid » Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:34 pm

newbieholland wrote:
adlexy wrote:

All the best

I assume Keloid is from UK from his last few posts. There is no need to WASTE your money transferring your funds from UK to Ireland and pay for the currency exchange. This is absolutely unneseccery. You dont have to show any commitments to qualify under the EU law.
Thanks for the input on this one guys.

Looks like there is nothing in the explanatory notes/elsewhere which states that the funds need to be in the State.

Thanks.