ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

citizenship

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

devmanda1ia

citizenship

Post by devmanda1ia » Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:33 pm

Hi all, I have just recently received ILR but want to understand next steps for citizenship. Can anyone pls help with following,
1) I got ilr on 31st jan on the basis of 5yr wp. When do I become eligible for citizenship?
2) my wife got the ilr same time. Will she be eligible same time?
3) what are different steps i.e application, neutralisation, passport interview? Is there a link explaining the process step by step?
4) is passport interview process mandatory for all applicants including dependent i.e. My wife?
5) is it same day service as our?
6) finally are there any watch outs such as less than 90 days absence outside the UK?

I am new to citizenship so any help will be greatly appreciated. Apologies if I have asked any repeat questions in which case just get me the link to similar questions on the forum.

Thanks,

Dev

cherryplum

Post by cherryplum » Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:36 pm

You can apply once your ILR reaches it's first anniversay - so after a year on ILR. You have to do it postal or via Nationality Checking Service - it will not be processed same day like the ILR. When you receive your approval youwill be invited to a Citizenship Ceremony and only after that can you apply for your passport. You complete a form online or get one at the post offcie and send to IPS who will invite you to an interview. Any adult applying for their first UK passport has to go through an interview, so both of you will have your own interview. After that they will send back your documents and the new passport will arrive.

devmanda1ia

Post by devmanda1ia » Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:04 am

thanks a lot cheryplum. This is very helpful. Are there any key rules that I need to watching for i.e. 90 day absence, bank balance etc.?

and is journey from ilr to British passport relatively straight forward or full of complications? I mean do we see many refusals for NCS approval and interview failure for passport?

cherryplum

Post by cherryplum » Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:53 am

If you lookup the form online
http://www.bia.homeoffice.gov.uk/siteco ... orm_an.pdf

it will give you all the criteria - don't know it all by heart - there are notes on absences from the UK.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... ide_an.pdf

There is nothing on bank balances, that doesn't play a part in this process at all. Mine took just under 3 months and that is including Christmas break etc - I sent mine via the Nationality Checking System so I knew I had all the documents required and form was completed correctly before sending it out.

I'm not too sure about how many people fail because they don't tend to put their comments on this forum - but I think as long as you meet all criteria and the form is completed in full you shouldn't have any problems.

I haven'tdone my passport application yet - only got my approval for Natuaralisation on Thursday sonot too familiar with that process as yet - like I said though - as long as you are honest and have completed everything in full - you shouldn't have any problems.

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:02 am

You can apply for naturalisation when you meet the standard requirements. These include a 5 years residence period. Will your wife be living in the UK for at least 5 years when applying?

Refusal are mainly due to applicants not meeting the requirements.

Passport interviews are performed for ID check to make sure you are who you are claiming to be. It's not an exam so should not be a problem.

thewolfman21

wife citizenship

Post by thewolfman21 » Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:50 pm

Hi - I have no intentions to hijack this forum - I have a question which i think is relevant to this thread.

My history - (WP + Tier 1) 5 years + ILR 1 year = total 6 years
My wife history in UK: (Tier 1 dependent ) 2 years 3 months + ILR 1 year = total 3 years 3 months.

Now - Once i apply for my naturalisation can both of us do a joint application and pay £1294? or do i need to apply first and after attending ceremony once i recieve my passport only then apply for her?

Kindly advise!!!

Jambo
Respected Guru

Re: wife citizenship

Post by Jambo » Sun Feb 05, 2012 5:39 pm

thewolfman21 wrote:Now - Once i apply for my naturalisation can both of us do a joint application and pay £1294? or do i need to apply first and after attending ceremony once i recieve my passport only then apply for her?
If going by the rules, then you will need to make two single applications. Your wife can apply after you attend the citizenship ceremony (no need to wait for the passport).

They have been reports that cases similar to you succeeded when applied together but I have no idea if this would still work now and what are the odds.
See more details here.

thewolfman21

thanks

Post by thewolfman21 » Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:24 pm

Thanks Jambo!