ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British Passport help

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

jakedamuss
Newly Registered

British Passport help

Post by jakedamuss » Sun Feb 05, 2012 5:51 pm

Hi all i need some help. i am applying my wifes first passport.in section 4 they ask info about mother and father. she does not have the date of marriage of both parents is this section have to be filled in if yes will it affect her passport decision. any help pls

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Sun Feb 05, 2012 6:01 pm

You can't apply for your wife's passport. She needs to apply for it by herself.

On what basis is your wife British?

jakedamuss
Newly Registered

Post by jakedamuss » Sun Feb 05, 2012 6:44 pm

British citizen through marriage my nationality is british. i am filling the form on her behalf any info on section4 being completed fully. Help Pls

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:03 pm

Should could just write unknown for the date of marriage. It will not affect her application as her citizenship is not based on her parents.

Smallfamily

Re: British Passport help

Post by Smallfamily » Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:12 pm

jakedamuss wrote:Hi all i need some help. i am applying my wifes first passport.in section 4 they ask info about mother and father. she does not have the date of marriage of both parents is this section have to be filled in if yes will it affect her passport decision. any help pls
I had the same situation and I left that section blank and attached a covering letter stating that I don't know their dates. It didn't affect my application. So I suggest you to attach a covering letter and you will be fine :D

jakedamuss
Newly Registered

Post by jakedamuss » Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:42 pm

Thanx alot. any other members been in the same situation, by not completing section 4. andstill getting the british passport. Also one more question what supporting documents do i have send are they Naturalisiation certificate and passport or more? Also on the interview can i be there with her when interview takes place(her english is not that great so i was wondering if i could help her)??

Smallfamily

Post by Smallfamily » Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:33 pm

jakedamuss wrote:Thanx alot. any other members been in the same situation, by not completing section 4. andstill getting the british passport. Also one more question what supporting documents do i have send are they Naturalisiation certificate and passport or more? Also on the interview can i be there with her when interview takes place(her english is not that great so i was wondering if i could help her)??
For the supporting documents pls check the following link as the requirement varies for each applicant...
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTr ... /DG_174100

And no you cant join ur wife during her interview she has to be on her own. You can help her in preparing and practicing her interview.The most common standard questions which they ask during passport interview are:

What are your full names? Spell them backwards from last to first.
What is your full address including post code? When did you move in?
Does anyone else over the age of 16 live in your house? Who?
Have you been known by other names?
Are you married, divorced, single etc?
Do you have children ? If so how many?
Does your wife / children live with you in same address?
Your previous address, post code and how long you lived there.
What is your date of birth? Where were you born?
When did you take your naturalisation ceremeny? Where? public /private?
Your mother's name and date of birth? Place / Country of birth?
Your father's date of birth? Place / Country of birth?
How manay bank accounts do you have and which ones
How many credit card and store cards do you have? Which cards and stores
Do you have a morgage? with what bank?
Mobiles contarcts? which company and how much/month?
Who signed your form? his age, profession?
Have you received your documents back?

Hope that helps... :D

jakedamuss
Newly Registered

Post by jakedamuss » Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:00 pm

Thankyou.

can she ask for an interpreter if i cannot be with here at the interview?

Smallfamily

Post by Smallfamily » Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:23 pm

jakedamuss wrote:Thankyou.

can she ask for an interpreter if i cannot be with here at the interview?
No because they do expect basic english from the applicant because obviously the applicant has passed Life in UK test which is in English language or either has ESOL qualification.

Plum70
Diamond Member

Post by Plum70 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:49 am

jakedamuss wrote:can she ask for an interpreter if i cannot be with here at the interview?
If your wife has not grasped the basics of the English language then, i'm sorry, she has no business applying to be British!

This is one of the man problems in this country: Individuals obtaining British nationality w/out being able to speak the basic language. Ludicrous! In other EU countries you have to be interviewed by the authorities first ( and more than once in some cases) before any application for citizenship is even considered.

yanbo
Newly Registered

Post by yanbo » Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:11 am

jakedamuss wrote: can she ask for an interpreter if i cannot be with here at the interview?
How can she integrate in the British society if she cannot speak basic English? I am wondering what's the quality of life of some person living in the UK and not speaking English. That only leads to isolation, gettoisation and divisions in the society.

FabioCapello
Newly Registered

Post by FabioCapello » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:07 pm

yanbo wrote:
jakedamuss wrote: can she ask for an interpreter if i cannot be with here at the interview?
How can she integrate in the British society if she cannot speak basic English? I am wondering what's the quality of life of some person living in the UK and not speaking English. That only leads to isolation, gettoisation and divisions in the society.
Are you saying that as a British citizen, I am committing a dis-service to the nation by marrying someone who can’t speak fluent English? A person’s compatibility with a nation is more important than a person’s compatibility with his/her partner, is it? Should I separate from my life-partner just because you think that my partner can’t integrate with you?

I think we should step outside and have a look at the versatility and diversity within nations abroad. There are nations where there are multiple languages spoken, and people who don’t speak the primary language continue to remain an integral part of that nation.

The home office has put checks in place to ensure that an individual has atleast the basic level of English language competence before granting citizenship, and we should leave them to do their job, rather than making sweeping statements about an individual’s compatibility and contributions that the person may or may not make to the society.

It may well be that the OPs wife can speak basic English, but the nervousness around answering questions for a major milestone in their life in a language that is not your mother tongue is a bit too much to handle and hence the OP wants to accompany his wife for the interview. Please let’s not be judgemental. The guy has a question and he deserves to be guided, rather than put him down for standing by his loved one.

Smallfamily

Post by Smallfamily » Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:25 pm

FabioCapello wrote: Are you saying that as a British citizen, I am committing a dis-service to the nation by marrying someone who can’t speak fluent English? A person’s compatibility with a nation is more important than a person’s compatibility with his/her partner, is it? Should I separate from my life-partner just because you think that my partner can’t integrate with you?

I think we should step outside and have a look at the versatility and diversity within nations abroad. There are nations where there are multiple languages spoken, and people who don’t speak the primary language continue to remain an integral part of that nation.
Totally agree with "FabioCapello". UK is a muticultural society 8)
We should only use this forum to help people rather than making harsh comments :!:

Plum70
Diamond Member

Post by Plum70 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:01 pm

FabioCapello wrote:
yanbo wrote:
Are you saying that as a British citizen, I am committing a dis-service to the nation by marrying someone who can’t speak fluent English? A person’s compatibility with a nation is more important than a person’s compatibility with his/her partner, is it? Should I separate from my life-partner just because you think that my partner can’t integrate with you?
A person's compatibility, well being and indeed contribution to their community depends on their ability to communicate and express themselves in the local language. The OP's wife has lived in this country for at least 3 years, and if they have no learning difficulties, I see no excuse not to be confident speaking basic English.

Yes we should, and you will realise that immigrants in other parts of Europe learn to speak the language - Germany, Switzerland, Finland, France - without which they know they will struggle to integrate or be accepted. In Switzerland, where four different languages are spoken, even the Swiss people learn to be bilingual because of the challenges faced when travelling to other parts of the country where another language other than your mother tongue is spoken. My husband is Swiss French and learning basic German makes dialogue easier when we travel to Swiss German parts. I on the other hand am still grasping French but at least I am making the effort to understand and embrace my husband's culture and language even though we live in the UK.

The comments given are simply frank. What sort of treatment/reception do you expect the OP's partner would receive at the UK border when presenting a British passport but unable to speak (basic) English? Or does the OP plan on shadowing his wife wherever she goes? I think not.

Smallfamily

Post by Smallfamily » Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:43 pm

To be honest... :roll: this argument wont take anyone anywhere neither anyone can stop someone from submitting immigration related applications.

So instead of writting a long speech and giving facts we should spend a bit of our time in helping others on this forum :wink:

jakedamuss
Newly Registered

Post by jakedamuss » Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:20 am

Plum70 wrote:
jakedamuss wrote:can she ask for an interpreter if i cannot be with here at the interview?
If your wife has not grasped the basics of the English language then, i'm sorry, she has no business applying to be British!

This is one of the man problems in this country: Individuals obtaining British nationality w/out being able to speak the basic language. Ludicrous! In other EU countries you have to be interviewed by the authorities first ( and more than once in some cases) before any application for citizenship is even considered.
Wow i thought this thread was done. but obviously not can i ask why a person hasnt the right to be a BC because her english isnt as fluent as some narrow minded people assume. Her english speaking is quite good but no individual is perfect pls remember that before saying utter RUBBISH