ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

SET[O] ILR Success at Croydon PEO 0n 01 February 2012

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

SpokenHands

SET[O] ILR Success at Croydon PEO 0n 01 February 2012

Post by SpokenHands » Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:58 pm

I am writing to thank the moderators, senior members and other experts on this forum for their time, service and valuable counsel that has been immensely helpful to secure my ILR through SET[O] route on 01-Feb-2012 at Croydon PEO.

Here is a summary of my experience at the Croydon PEO

1. Arrived at 13:45 for the 14:15 appointment [30 mins early exactly as advised] and was ushered into the security area immediately.
2. Passed through airport-style security [remove jackets, belts, laptops and all metal objects]
3. Directed to queue for document screening, about 6 people in front of me and queue proceeded very slowly so only got to counter at 14:05
4. Handed over passports for self+2 dependants, and Set [O] application form. He asked if my dependants were with me - uninterested when I said no. Details entered into system and handed payment token and told to proceed to 1st floor to make payment.
5. On 1st floor, security checked Token No and Set [O] form again, then directed me to the payment queue where 6 people ahead of me
6. At payment queue, teller noted my payment details and put the payment through on Chip/Pin machine as I was paying through a debit card. I was then issued a token and told to wait in the waiting area on 1st floor [adjoining the pay tills] till my number was called on the PA.
7. Waited 30 minutes, checking progress of my token no. on the screens in the hall, till my token was called [time now 14:50]
8. Lady Case Officer was professional but brusque, did nothing to put one at ease and seemed mildly irritated to be at her desk at all. Lack of privacy at the counter was not helpful either.
9. Uninterestedly, she asked for my payment token [!!], then application and documents, reviewed them and then sighing loudly, asked me to leave the desk and wait in the waiting area, then drew her counter curtain down.
10. About an hour later, she raised the curtain, signalled to me, and advised me she was granting the ILR and I should await my passport at the Customer Services Desk. [16:00h] She smiled weakly which I took to be her excitement to be able to go home or whatever it is UKBA PEO staff do when they are not forced to work with customers.
11. After two hours waiting, was finally called to the Customer Services Desk at 18:00h where I was given all [3] passports and a ILR leaflet.
12. Checked the ILR vignette for spelling and other details; and ensured I had all my original certificates/documents returned to me before exiting the building. Couple of people had errors on ILR
13. Stopped by the Biometric Customer Desk to see if I could get a BRP card as they already have my data collected. I was told that it could not be arranged but if I ever applied for a transfer of my visa to a new passport, the "No Time Limit" visa would be Biometric - they would collect the data all over again. BRP is not required or needed at this time [not until 29-Feb 2012 when it becomes mandatory] but i prefer to have one as employers are being trained to ask for it as proof of immigration status. Card easier to carry around then a passport.

Settlement Route: Set [O] via HSMP 2 years + Tier 1 General 3 years
Absences: 113 days with no unpaid absences [so well within the requirement]
One employer throughout with evidence of economic activity/salary growth; no absences or unpaid breaks

Documents requested by Case Officer
1. Token Number and evidence of payment made [receipt]
2. SET [O] Application Form
3. Passports for self + 2 dependants
4. LIUK Test certificate
5. 12 months payslips
6. 5 years P60
7. 12 months bank statements [marked where salary deposit entries made]
8. List of Absences
9. [2] Cohabitation documents for each year in last 2 years
10. 2 photographs x each applicant

I had carried a range of other documents as back up that were not required - CRB clearance, Credit History Report, Other bank statements to show available funds, Electoral Register letters, etc.

Some Interesting Observations

1. No requirement for dependants to attend with you - call the PEO helpline to explain your circumstances as to why you may not wish your spouse/children to attend. The case officer did not ask to see them. Saw pregnant women and small children wait 3-5 hours in uncomfortable circumstances and would not recommend they attend.

2. Canteen on 2nd floor shuts at 5 pm so if you need a warm drink, or milk to be heated for your child, or food, do so before the closing time or you will have no assistance between 5-7 pm when the PEO closes. You can leave the building and return but only up to 4 pm [when the security screening shuts] so anyone leaving the building after 4 pm cannot return on the same day.

3. Template to record absences [sticky note above] is excellent and much-appreciated by the case officer.

4. Template for letter(s) from Employer are very good. If you are a Tier 2 applicant however, please ensure you state your SOC code and salary. No requirement of this for Tier 1 migrants though I had this included.

5. FOR TIER 1 MIGRANTS: Please have payslips and bank statement for the entire period of time you're claiming - in most cases for all 12 months. Tier 2 migrants are asked for 3-6 months but Tier 1 migrants are expected to provided all 12 months bank statements, payslips and 5 years P60 or 'Employment History' alternative from the HMRC.

6. Unless bank statements are officially printed, any statement printed out in bank branches must be stamped by staff on each page. No internet statements are admissable.

6. Remember to pre-authorise your credit/debit card by calling your bank in advance of your PEO appt. and advising them of charge, approximate time, and PEO so your card is not declined as a fraud-prevention measure by the bank.

7. Security guard I got chatting to suggested mid-week booking in the afternoon are best as there are fewer people at the PEO (as opposed to Mondays and Tuesdays) and waits do not drag on for the entire day. Not quite sure whether this is good advice because i took 4 hours (an hour over UKBA's 3-hours minimum standard)

8. UKBA staff are professional and courteous, but do not expect them to be friendly or put you at ease or helpful. If you have this, consider it a bonus.

9. Passport photo booth in hall for emergencies, but no photocopying etc. I did NOT carry photocopies of all documents as most case-officers evidently like taking their own copies.

10. If you are getting to Croydon by train, I found West Croydon a good station as it is walking distance to the PEO and clearly signposted 'Home Office' so you cant miss it. However, be aware that it is a 45 min train ride from London Bridge on the Overground (possibly quicker on London Midland / other routes]

Once again, my thanks to the moderators, senior members and experts who provide an outstanding service which I have benefitted from.
[/i]
Last edited by SpokenHands on Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sunil.suneel
Member of Standing

Post by sunil.suneel » Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:16 pm

Congrats !

Chakri
Newly Registered

Post by Chakri » Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:49 pm

Congrats !!

When did you enter UK, were you with in the 28 day window..?

fahadz1
BANNED

Re: SET[O] ILR Success at Croydon PEO 0n 01 February 2012

Post by fahadz1 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:18 pm

quick question.

if you fill the template absence sheet .. do you still fill the absence column on set o form or you just write absence sheet attached.

can i have wording what you put in REASON ???? i mean sentence

tknayak

Post by tknayak » Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:52 pm

Congrats SpokenHands. Very detailed description.

One question, did the caseworker specifically ask for 2 documents for cohabitation? Since the SET(O) asks for evidences since your last extension, shouldn't be one (if possible more) evidence enough?

Secondly, I think an early morning appointment may be better since the cw will be in a fresh mood and in case your application goes for clarification, there is a possibility that it can be cleared same day.

If you are travelling by train to Croydon from London Bridge or London Victoria, always come to East Croydon station rather than West Croydon. There is good frequency from these two stations (one in 5 minutes) and Lunar House is just 5 min walk from this station. Journey time from London Bridge or Victoria is approximately 15 minutes.

SpokenHands

Responses

Post by SpokenHands » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:52 pm

Chakri: my appointment was on the day I completed 5 years exactly, so not within the 28 day window that was permissible.

fahadz1: I used the absence template available on the forum, see sticky notes. Reasons were either "business trip" or "paid leave" and I had no instances of "unpaid leave". I wrote a summary of absence days for each type on the form and said full list attached separately.

Tknayak: fair point on morning appointments. Wish I had known better about the travel options - evidently I took the slowest line ever. The case officer specifically asked me for 2 evidences across year, for last 2 years.

The case officer was fair and professional, but by no means friendly or pleasant to deal with, and compared to other success stories here, she does seem to have thrown the rule book at me in a manner of speaking. I wonder whether it is because I am a 50p rate tax payer and there is a culturally-ingrained degree of scorn for immigrants in general, esp people who work hard and are successful.

mithai420

Post by mithai420 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:06 pm

Congrats Dude ! - You must be quite happy and relief now :)

I wanted to ask a thing reg cohab docs - Do we require docs for last 2 Years before applying Or any 2 years ......

Example : If I apply in May 2012 so I need cohab docs for last 2 years thats on/after May 2010- May 2012 ?

OR I can give docs like May 2011-May 2012 and 1 year in 2009.

Please help.

SpokenHands

Post by SpokenHands » Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:47 pm

From the Case Officer I dealt with, for the most recent two years (2010 and 2011) she needed 2 docs for each year, across the year.

As an example, a document from Feb/Mar/April 2010 and another from Sept/Oct/Nov 2010 and likewise for 2011.

Other case officers are known to ask for one doc for each year (2010 and 2011) or more but not necessarily spread out but I got a lady who threw the rule book at me.

mithai420

Post by mithai420 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:14 pm

Thanks again .

If we apply in May , will these docs be sufficient.

1.) Mine 2 yrs bank statement and wife's 2 yrs bank statement with same address.

2.) Lease agreement for 2 years 2010-11 & 2011-2012 with both the names
3.) Can try for 2 yrs council tax which has both the names
4.) Don't have utility bill but EDF is willing to provide a letter stating that we both have been paying bills jointly since last 2 years

Point 1 & 2 are sure we have , 3 & 4 can be tried for.

Please advise

Thanks

SpokenHands

Post by SpokenHands » Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:48 am

More than sufficient, in my opinion

mustang390

Post by mustang390 » Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:01 am

Hi I am in the same boat as you HSMP + Tier1 general and due for ilr this month. My question is about the absences I was on holidays for 2 months in 2009 and it was unpaid infact I resigned when I went for holidays and rejoined the same company after I came back so that unpaid leave is going to creat any issue ??? and in total I just had 78 days outside the UK in last 5 years..

any feedback would be appriciated.

regards

rajun13
Newly Registered

Post by rajun13 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:17 am

I am about to apply for ILR this month on tier 1(general) migrant last renewal letter says " my application was considered under high court judgement of 8 april 2008 for extenstion
Few queries still confuses me
1) do i need to write life in UK test
2) do i need to go through biometric
3) my payslips are online and have only 4yrs p60 as the current one is due in few months
4) My child is two years was born here and has visa
5) do we all ( i mean three of us) have to go

Please can anybody help me with this as I really dont want to give 1k to OISC Regulated Adviser for answering this

SpokenHands

Response for Rajun

Post by SpokenHands » Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:53 am

FOR RAJUN

1. All applicants over 18 need to complete LIUK test as mandatory requirement
2. From 29-feb you will need to provide biometric data during the process so a biometric residence permit can be issued instead if visa sticker in passport. Factor in another 60-90 minutes to the 3 hrs it takes at a PEO.
3. Print out all payslips and have them stamped and signed by HR with a covering note . In addition, ring up the HMRC and request the last 5 years " employment history" to be sent to you ( in lieu of your missing p60). No charge but may take 1-2 weeks.
4. You need not apply for ILR for your child. As soon as you are granted ILR, he is 'entitled' to register as a British citizen being born here for which you need to complete registration using form MN1 (£540 fee). Any children not born in UK must be included in your ILR application.
5. While York appt confirmation at PEO says specifically that all much go, I rang the PEO and was advised that it is not necessary if there is a compelling reason they cannot attend (Ill or school exam etc) and given long hours and busy halls, I would not recommend young children attend.

Hope this helps,go through this forum ESP sticky posts right at top of message list and review other success stories so you get a better idea.

FOR MUSTANG
60 days unpaid absence in one year is not a problem, any single overseas visit must not exceed 90 days and in a 5 year period, you must not exceed 180 days. You appear to be well within the guideline. Don't worry.
Use excellent template in sticky note section at top of forum message list to record your absence

Good luck to you both.

rajun13
Newly Registered

Re: Response for Rajun

Post by rajun13 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:52 am

thank you spoken heads for the valuable info
one of seniors told me if u r under judicial review u dont have to write life in uk please clarify any help greatly appreciated and i havebooked slot for 28th feb just to skip biometric is it good idea
SpokenHands wrote:FOR RAJUN

1. All applicants over 18 need to complete LIUK test as mandatory requirement
2. From 29-feb you will need to provide biometric data during the process so a biometric residence permit can be issued instead if visa sticker in passport. Factor in another 60-90 minutes to the 3 hrs it takes at a PEO.
3. Print out all payslips and have them stamped and signed by HR with a covering note . In addition, ring up the HMRC and request the last 5 years " employment history" to be sent to you ( in lieu of your missing p60). No charge but may take 1-2 weeks.
4. You need not apply for ILR for your child. As soon as you are granted ILR, he is 'entitled' to register as a British citizen being born here for which you need to complete registration using form MN1 (£540 fee). Any children not born in UK must be included in your ILR application.
5. While York appt confirmation at PEO says specifically that all much go, I rang the PEO and was advised that it is not necessary if there is a compelling reason they cannot attend (Ill or school exam etc) and given long hours and busy halls, I would not recommend young children attend.

Hope this helps,go through this forum ESP sticky posts right at top of message list and review other success stories so you get a better idea.

FOR MUSTANG
60 days unpaid absence in one year is not a problem, any single overseas visit must not exceed 90 days and in a 5 year period, you must not exceed 180 days. You appear to be well within the guideline. Don't worry.
Use excellent template in sticky note section at top of forum message list to record your absence

Good luck to you both.

SpokenHands

Post by SpokenHands » Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:22 am

I do not have any information on JR but i do believe the guidance notes and application form are quite clear on the subject so please review the documents.

Good luck

Siddarth5
Newly Registered

did they give you a cover letter?

Post by Siddarth5 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:56 pm

Hi there,
I applied for ILR through a OICC registered consultant who went to Liverpool to get it done as there was an slot available there.
I got my passport with the ILR Permit on it.
(the took away my old Resident permit ID card)

My question is,
This time, there was no Covering Letter from the HMRC saying "Here is your ILR approved...."

Was it the same for you guys?
Did you get a covering letter
My consultant who applied said that now they dont give such letters...but I just wanted to double check with you all.

S

SpokenHands

Post by SpokenHands » Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:06 pm

I was given a standard letter on extension of residency and a leaflet explaining ILR was enclosed. No letter with the wording you describe was given.

itsravi
Newly Registered

Post by itsravi » Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:48 am

Hi,

Congrats on getting the extension. Can you please share the template for absences?

SpokenHands

Template for ILR Absences

Post by SpokenHands » Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:00 pm

The link to the template for expenses is:
http://goo.gl/yKAx0

It is on the sticky section of this forum and is absolutely excellent

barker

Post by barker » Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:03 pm

Is 5 years P60 a compulsory requirement for Tier1 applicants? Shouldnt the confirmation letter from previous Tier1 showing points allocated for earnings be adequate? Also it is not listed anywhere on the UKBA site that one needs to provide P60 for 5 years. They have only listed documentation to show income for the 12 month period that you claim for.

Did the case worker specifically ask for this?

SpokenHands

Post by SpokenHands » Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:12 pm

I was specifically asked for 5 years P60. In the absence of this, "HMRC Employment History" for 5 years is admissable.

I was also asked for payslips and bank statements to cover the entire period I was claiming earning for - in this case 12 months for each.

barker

Post by barker » Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:51 pm

Could any of the seniors / moderators comment on this. There are posts on the forum where this was not asked for at all. If a case worker asks for it and it is not provided will this affect the decision?

nnj10

Post by nnj10 » Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:27 am

What category are you applying under?
WP, T1G or any other?

For WP - I think P60 is requirement, as you donot have flexibility in changing employer like T1G.

For T1G - I have not come across anything in SET (O) or Guidance to sat that last 5 year P60 is a must.
Information and/or advice provided by me is of general nature and is not intended to substitute for informed professional legal or other professional advice.

harshil223
United Kingdom

Post by harshil223 » Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:47 am

nnj10 wrote:What category are you applying under?
WP, T1G or any other?

For WP - I think P60 is requirement, as you donot have flexibility in changing employer like T1G.

For T1G - I have not come across anything in SET (O) or Guidance to sat that last 5 year P60 is a must.
what if the last P60 is not issued yet? my application is on 5 Apr and i think the financial year runs from 6 Apt to 5 Apr. So the P60 will not be issued on 5 Apr 12 for last financial year. are last year's pay slips and bank statements can't be used as proof of last year's employment?

nnj10

Post by nnj10 » Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:15 am

Obviously, if P60 is not issued yet, you do not need to carry that.
You can use pay slips and bank statements for previous FY.
Information and/or advice provided by me is of general nature and is not intended to substitute for informed professional legal or other professional advice.