ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

EEA Travel and ID - Settlement Visa Holder

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

PigsEar
Newly Registered

EEA Travel and ID - Settlement Visa Holder

Post by PigsEar » Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:30 pm

Hi All,

I was wondering if, in the infinite wisdom of the forum, anyone knows what a settlement (spousal) visa holder can do to travel within EU?

Also, is a settlement visa holder able to obtain any official ID? Just wanted to save carrying a passport around all the time!

We just got a 2 year settlement visa sorted for my wife, from Vietnam, all done in about 3-4 weeks. If I can help anyone with questions on this, please ask.

Have a good weekend!

Pigsear x

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:07 am

You're wife will need to apply for a Schengen visa...from the consulate of the country she intends to visit.
There is no ID alternative to a passport. When you say 'carry around with her', do you mean when travelling outside of the UK or for ID purposes on a daily basis?

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Greenie » Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:34 am

If she wants ID to carry around she can apply for a UK drivers licence. There is no need to carry a passport around in the UK as there is no requirement for a person to have proof of indentiy on them at all times, and indeed it is not advisable in case it is stolen.

PigsEar
Newly Registered

Post by PigsEar » Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:38 am

Hi Casa, Greenie,

Thanks for your messages... she doesn't carry her passport with her at all times, however does sometimes need to bring ID with her, especially in the early months, to set up memberships, accounts etc etc..

Although an (increasingly) infrequent event, she feels unfcomfortable carrying it around, especially as she's from Vietnam and would have to return to her home country for several months to obtain a new one (as per my understanding).

For a UK driver's license, she would, of course, have to learn how to drive first. From memory, priovisional licenses cannot be used as ID.

If no ones's aware of a ID card scheme, I think my best bet would just be to get certified copies of the passport.

Thanks also for confirming the EU visa!

All the best x

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Greenie » Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:21 am

provisional licences can be used as ID. There is no ID card scheme.

PigsEar
Newly Registered

Post by PigsEar » Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:25 am

Ok thanks Greenie, must've changed since I had one!