ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Marriage and eligibility to work

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Dan3274
Newly Registered

Marriage and eligibility to work

Post by Dan3274 » Mon Oct 23, 2006 1:32 am

Hi there!!

I am in a same sex relationship. I am a british citizen however, my partner holds an Australian passport. We want to move in together but the problem lies with the visa!!

The main problem is that he is over 30 and cannot accumulate enough points to qualify for a working visa. In addition, i am in no position to sponsor him (with regards to funding) as i am currently studying in university and will be for the next five years.

Is there any other way we can apply for his visa? or is the next option marriage?

Thanks, Dan

oscgv
Newly Registered

Post by oscgv » Mon Oct 23, 2006 4:52 am

First of all http://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk.
But anyway the best way to go is to register a same sex civil partnership, if possible, do it in australia (although I'm not familiarized with the rules for this in australia) because if you want to do it in england, first you partner has to go back to his country and apply for a unmarried partner to register a civil parnership visa, then he needs to go back to uk and register the civilpartnership, after that he can stay and work in uk, but he can't just switch to civil partnership visa from a visitor visa (assuming he's on a visitor's visa?)
I'm telling you I'm no expert on this since I never done it before, just go through the rules and see what's best for you.