ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

My passport is stuck in Royal Mail limbo!!

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

homeistheuk
Newly Registered

My passport is stuck in Royal Mail limbo!!

Post by homeistheuk » Wed Oct 18, 2006 11:56 pm

I am waiting for my passport to arrive from Home Office for my FLR (IED) application. Apparently a decision was made and the passport and original documents were sent out Wednesday 11th October by recorded delivery. I should think I would have gotten it by now, but the mail delivery in my neighborhood has been very inconsistent and slow.

I am very worried because my new employer needs to see my passport. Anyone have this problem?

bergdorf

Post by bergdorf » Fri Oct 20, 2006 7:36 pm

Have you tried contacting Royal Mail with the tracking number? That would be my first step before I started panicking.

homeistheuk
Newly Registered

Post by homeistheuk » Sat Oct 21, 2006 3:06 pm

Yes but the funny thing about that is that they gave me a tracking number but nothing is traced online until its actually been delivered, that is recorded delivery for you. Also the service here in the UK sucks because in the states we can actually trace where the item is at that very moment. I don't think it should take more than one week to deliver something from Doncaster to London, even if you are using lower class mail.

bergdorf

Post by bergdorf » Sat Oct 21, 2006 3:33 pm

Have you tried calling Royal Mail? That's what I'd be doing - 08457 740 740

homeistheuk
Newly Registered

Post by homeistheuk » Sat Oct 21, 2006 3:37 pm

I have called them, I have put in an official complaint and still nothing. They told me not to call back until mid November. If it has not been delivered by mid November to call them with the tracking number because it was sent out 11 October and it can take up to mid November for them to deliver it!! How ridiculous. I want my passport back so I can rest easy and travel for work.

hari15
Member of Standing

Post by hari15 » Sat Oct 21, 2006 6:33 pm

Dear homeintheuk,
Dont worry,

One time it happened to me also... The Recorded first class delivery reached me after 6 Days!!.. actually it should reach in one day

Unfortunately for Recorded deliveries Royal Mail is not taking any responsibility. Only for Special deliveries (Registered) they are taking responsibility..

But Dont worry, If the address is correct, It should reach you soon..

You have to panick only if address is not correct (or) It has been told as delivered but you didnt got it yet..

If it is showing as not delivered in tracking.. dont worry it should reach you soon

all the best

sam_77uk
Newly Registered

Royal mail

Post by sam_77uk » Sun Oct 22, 2006 6:39 pm

Hi,

try visiting your local delivery office..sometimes posties takes it back and never leaves a card

amupset
Newly Registered

Post by amupset » Mon Oct 23, 2006 6:15 am

If I were you, I would also investigate with the consulates on the process for obtaining a new passport and cancelling the old one... it may not be easy but may actually be faster than Royal mail service. Also, you would have started some groundwork in case the mail is really lost.
I've been waiting for my documents for well over a month now (but I'm from India)...and have received nothing useful in the form of information either from HSMP team or Royal mail other than to be told 'pls. wait for at least 12 weeks for your documents'!

homeistheuk
Newly Registered

Post by homeistheuk » Sat Oct 28, 2006 2:41 pm

UPDATE

Okay here is what really happened.

Application Sent: 5th September 2006
Request for original documents: 8th October 2006
Application approved and mailed out: 11th October 2006

Royal mail tried to deliver at my door: 14th October 2006
(NO CARD LEFT THROUGH THE MAIL SLOT!!)

Next 2 weeks: paranoid and worried about lost passport.

26th October 2006: Took a chance, woke up early and went to the local shipping office. They had the package for almost 2 weeks! Thank goodness I went to see or else I would still be worried and my passport would still be there.

FLR (IED) approved until 18th October 2010.

Cheers for all your responses.