ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Travelling with Indian Passport after Naturalisation

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

webhunter
Member of Standing

Travelling with Indian Passport after Naturalisation

Post by webhunter » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:11 am

Hi,

I have recently got the citizenship certificate. The next step is for me to apply for British Passport and then hand over Indian passport and get the OCI card.

However, I will be travelling to India in 4 to 6 weeks time and as you can guess the above can't be completed by then.

Is it ok to go to India and come back on the Indian passport , after getting a Citizenship Certificate.

Many thanks.

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:24 am

ajaysimha
Newly Registered

Post by ajaysimha » Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:23 pm

Hi,

I have a similar situation. I have received by Naturalisation certificate but need to travel to India. I see that there is a three month grace period after obtaining British Citizenship to travel on Indian passport. When I return back to the UK, do I have to fill a Landing card. If yes, what should I mention as my nationality in the Landing card.

Secondly I have read in this forum that ILR will be invalid once citizenship is obtained. How do I get back into the UK using Indian passport.

Please advise. Thank you

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:11 pm

Strictly speaking, the ILR is not valid. In practice, the airline doesn't know that so you would be allowed to board the flight and the IO would let you enter the UK as you are BC now even that your ILR is not valid.

To save you time and trouble, just enter as you did on ILR (as an Indian). No point telling your story at the border. Just show the ILR and go to collect your luggage.

Mannu
Newly Registered

Post by Mannu » Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:21 pm

Google search results in various forum/blogs talking about penalties & offense. Is this "3 months grace period" a recent change which was not in place a year ago ? Indian embassy site does talk about 3 months grace period !!!

barker

Post by barker » Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:21 pm

The following is a link for the High COmission in London.

http://hcilondon.in/renunciation.php

If you scroll halfway down the page, it clearly mentions the 3 month grace period starting from the date on the certificate of naturalisation

umittal
Newly Registered

Re: Travelling with Indian Passport after Naturalisation

Post by umittal » Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:34 pm

Hi Friends,

I am on ILR and going to apply for Naturalization at council office in Swindon on 28th July(4 days from now). I will need to travel to India in Sept 2014 for a week.

Looking at Naturalization waiting times I don't think I will have my Naturalization certificate by then as its taking 2-3 months.

Now my question is

A) If my certificate is not there by then am I subjected to any restriction?
B) If my certificate do arrive by then what is the procedure I should follow for traveling to India?

Regards
umittal