ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

GP Asking money for reference

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

gautat

GP Asking money for reference

Post by gautat » Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:15 pm

Hi all,

I am in process of applying for a citizenship for my child (born in the uk) based on section 1(3) as I have recently been granted ILR.

I went to see GP to get the reference in MN1 form. To my surprise, my GP said he would need £40 to sign the reference.

Is this legal or is this another way of making money? Has anyone been into similar situation?

Thanks,

boloney

Re: GP Asking money for reference

Post by boloney » Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:38 pm

gautat wrote:Hi all,

I am in process of applying for a citizenship for my child (born in the uk) based on section 1(3) as I have recently been granted ILR.

I went to see GP to get the reference in MN1 form. To my surprise, my GP said he would need £40 to sign the reference.

Is this legal or is this another way of making money? Has anyone been into similar situation?

Thanks,
Thats another way to make money, My friend told me that gp charge about 20 pound for it.
As you manager at work.

pennylessinindia

Post by pennylessinindia » Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:41 pm

gautat wrote:Hi all,

Thanks,
Absolutely legal, and why should they not charge, the same as lawyers charge. Little tip try your health visitor I am sure she will do if for free
pennyless

Smallfamily

Post by Smallfamily » Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:13 pm

Try driving instructor or a councillor...if you know any :wink:

ILR_Applicant_UK

Post by ILR_Applicant_UK » Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:47 am

Are you apply just for your child or the entire family?.

When I submiited my naturalisation application, I used 2 work colleagues as referees. But having worked for over 4yrs together, we had a very good personal friendship as well. So, both of them signed off as "Colleague and Family Friend", and they were also signed my 4 yr old son's MN1, as family friends.

Don't really think for children circa 4-5-6 yrs of age the character referee is something the HO worries about. Ofcourse, there is always a possibility you may get an irate case worker who may put an objection to this.

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Greenie » Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:50 am

Two referees are required. Age of the child is not relevant. try another professional as suggested or pay your Gp.

GPs are under no obligation to sign and can charge if they wish to otherwise they would spend all their time signing passport and citizenship applications.

doubletrouble

Post by doubletrouble » Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:52 pm

It makes perfect sense to ask for a charge for signing a form by a GP. This is a legally binding document and it is taking precious time of GP at which he could seen a sick child. Also not to forget admin work that involves ie scanning document etc. This is why most GP practices do not provide this service.