ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

FLR(M) to SET(?)

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

jtechs
Newly Registered

FLR(M) to SET(?)

Post by jtechs » Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:34 pm

My situation is a little unusual but not uncommon I guess. Currently I am on a FLR(M) visa, granted in Jan 2012. I have almost been in the UK since 2005 on various visas.

MY question is can I apply for SET(M?) now, even though I have just received the FLR(M) visa? I have been reading conflicting information.

Details:

(24 Months) 2005-2007 WHM Visa (Not counted)
(06 Months) Visitor Visa (not counted)

(22 Months) 2007-2009 HSMP Dependant Visa
(32 Months) 2009-2012 Tier 2 General Visa (Could not renew)
(01 Months) FLR(M) Unmarried Partner

Total
55 Months

What are my options for getting IRL?

Any help would be great thanks!

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:15 pm

You'll need to complete the 2 years on your FLR(M) visa before applying for ILR. Once you have been granted ILR you will be able to apply for BC after you've completed a total of 5 years continuous legal residence in the UK. i.e going by your dates, immediately after you have ILR.

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Greenie » Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:56 pm

Casa wrote:You'll need to complete the 2 years on your FLR(M) visa before applying for ILR. Once you have been granted ILR you will be able to apply for BC after you've completed a total of 5 years continuous legal residence in the UK. i.e going by your dates, immediately after you have ILR.
The OP would not be able to naturalise immediately after being granted ILR unless married to a British citizen, which doesn't seem to be the case since s/he was leave on FLR(M) as an unmarried partner (and also doesn't mention if the spouse is British or settled).

jtechs
Newly Registered

Post by jtechs » Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:28 am

Thianks everyone. You are correct, I called the UKBA just to check and that is the case, I cannot apply for SET(O) as I am not in that category anymore, I must complete 2 years and then apply for SET(M).

My partner is British and we will most likley be married in a couple of years.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:28 pm

Greenie's right. I missed the requirement for an Unmarried Partner to have 1 year with ILR before qualifying for BC.