ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Non Eu divorcing to Eu National & have a 18 months baby

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Avi0905
Newly Registered

Non Eu divorcing to Eu National & have a 18 months baby

Post by Avi0905 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:15 pm

Hi Guys,
Im really need some advice please.. My wife want the divorced from me and we are married only 1 years and 7 months. and have a baby son of 18 months. I hold a EUFAM stamp 4 till 2016.. We got married in June 2010.i want to know how is it going to affect my resident status. im working full time and she will be made redundant end of Feb. im giving maintenance to my baby aswell. Your help will be highly appreciate.

adlexy

Re: Non Eu divorcing to Eu National & have a 18 months b

Post by adlexy » Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:08 pm

Avi0905 wrote:Hi Guys,
Im really need some advice please.. My wife want the divorced from me and we are married only 1 years and 7 months. and have a baby son of 18 months. I hold a EUFAM stamp 4 till 2016.. We got married in June 2010.i want to know how is it going to affect my resident status. im working full time and she will be made redundant end of Feb. im giving maintenance to my baby aswell. Your help will be highly appreciate.
For now, it should have no immediate impact on your residency; especially as you are working full time or of and performing your obligation to your child and the state :) ! The requirements, I think is that "you are able to show that you are a worker or self-employed person or that you have sufficient resources for yourself and their family members not to become a burden on the social assistance system of the host Member State during
your period of residence and have comprehensive sickness insurance cover"

You may want to check Article 13, especially from (2d) of the EU directive for insight:

2. Without prejudice to the second subparagraph, divorce, annulment of marriage or termination of the registered partnership referred to in point 2(b) of Article 2 shall not entail loss of the right of residence of a Union citizen's family members who are not nationals of a Member State where:

(a) prior to initiation of the divorce or annulment proceedings or termination of the registered partnership referred to in point 2(b) of Article 2, the marriage or registered partnership has lasted at least three years, including one year in the host Member State; or (b) by agreement between the spouses or the partners referred to in point 2(b) of Article 2 or by court order, the spouse or partner who is not a national of a Member State has custody of the Union citizen's children; or

(c) this is warranted by particularly difficult circumstances, such as having been a victim of domestic violence while the marriage or registered partnership was subsisting; or

(d) by agreement between the spouses or partners referred to in point 2(b) of Article 2 or by court order, the spouse or partner who is not a national of a Member State has the right of access to a minor child, provided that the court has ruled that such access must be in the host Member State, and for as long as is required.

Before acquiring the right of permanent residence, the right of residence of the persons concerned shall remain subject to the requirement that they are able to show that they are workers or self-employed persons or that they have sufficient resources for themselves and their family
members not to become a burden on the social assistance system of the host Member State during their period of residence and have comprehensive sickness insurance cover in the host Member State, or that they are members of the family, already constituted in the host Member State, of a person satisfying these requirements. "Sufficient resources" shall be as defined in Article 8(4).

Such family members shall retain their right of residence exclusively on personal basis.

The exact wordings says:
Family members should be legally safeguarded in the event of the death of the Union citizen, divorce, annulment of marriage or termination of a registered partnership. With due regard for family life and human dignity, and in certain conditions to guard against abuse, measures should therefore be taken to ensure that in such circumstances family members already residing within the territory of the host Member State "retain their right of residence exclusively on a personal basis."

All the best!

Avi0905
Newly Registered

Post by Avi0905 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:41 am

Thanks for the reply mate.
Well my marriage is not even 3 years..! Would this affect my residency??

adlexy

Post by adlexy » Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:31 pm

Avi0905 wrote:Thanks for the reply mate.
Well my marriage is not even 3 years..! Would this affect my residency??
I dont think so. Based on:

"Family members should be legally safeguarded in the event of the death of the Union citizen, divorce, annulment of marriage or termination of a registered partnership. With due regard for family life and human dignity, and in certain conditions to guard against abuse, measures should therefore be taken to ensure that in such circumstances family members already residing within the territory of the host Member State "retain their right of residence exclusively on a personal basis."

All the best :)

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:34 pm

You should be alright.

[url=http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/SI656of2006.pdf/Files/SI656of2006.pdf][b]Retention of the right of residence by family members in the event of divorce, annulment of marriage[/b][/url] wrote: 10. (1) (a) Subject to subparagraph (b), a family member of a Union citizen who is a national of a
Member State may retain a right of residence in the State on an individual and personal
basis in the event of the Union citizen’s divorce or annulment of his or her marriage.
(b) Before acquiring an entitlement to permanent residence under Regulation 12, a family
member referred to in subparagraph (a) must satisfy one or more of the conditions
referred to in Regulation 6(2)(a)(i) to (iv).
(2) (a) Subject to subparagraph (b), a family member of a Union citizen who is not a national of a
Member State may retain a right of residence in the State on an individual and personal
basis in the event of the Union citizen’s divorce or annulment of his or her marriage.
(b) Subject to subparagraph (c), a right of residence referred to in subparagraph (a) shall only be
retained where the Minister is satisfied that -
(i) prior to initiation of the divorce or annulment proceedings, the marriage had lasted at
least 3 years, including one year in the State,
(ii) by agreement between the spouses, or by court order, the spouse who is not a
national of a Member State has custody of the Union citizen's children,
(iii) the retention of such right of residence is warranted by particularly difficult
circumstances, such as the spouse having been a victim of domestic violence
while the marriage was subsisting, or
(iv) by agreement between the spouses, or by court order, the spouse who is not a
national of a Member State has the right of access to a minor child, provided
that the court has ruled that such access must be in the State, and for as long as
is required
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors

walrusgumble
BANNED

Post by walrusgumble » Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:36 pm

At least you were married, so you have guardianship rights.

I recommend, whether by court or formal agreement, preferably the latter (and she can confirm in a letter) that you ensure that you have regular access to the child. I would suggest that you pay maintenance, even if mother does not ask for it, but only for the child, pay by bank account (for proof)

this will ensure that you play an active roll in the child's life.

Also Article 12 and 13 of the Directive, may help

Avi0905
Newly Registered

Post by Avi0905 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:32 pm

Hi All,

Thanks for the response. Well the thing is that my wife have asked a safety order from me. Is that going to affect me?
The article says you need to be atleast married 3 years thus i'm only married 18months. So will i have to go back to my home country?

Looking forward to hear from you.

Regards,
Avi0905

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:07 am

Avi0905 wrote:Hi All,

Thanks for the response. Well the thing is that my wife have asked a safety order from me. Is that going to affect me?
The article says you need to be atleast married 3 years thus i'm only married 18months. So will i have to go back to my home country?

Looking forward to hear from you.

Regards,
Avi0905
It may or may not affect you.

Are you having any contact with the child or have you got a court order that stipulates access should take place in Ireland.
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors