ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Non EU Visitor - Reclaim VAT refund while leaving UK

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

rajesh9pl
Mood:
United Kingdom

Non EU Visitor - Reclaim VAT refund while leaving UK

Post by rajesh9pl » Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:14 pm

Hi,

My in laws (Indian/Non EU) have come to UK on Family Visitor visa. They want to buy a LED TV and carry it to India while leaving.

I understand they need to Pay Custom duty at Indian airport. I would like to know if they can claim VAT at Heathrow.

These links say Retailer has to be part of Retail Export Scheme or Tax Free Shopping:
http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/vat/sectors/cons ... sitors.htm
http://www.london-guides.co.uk/pages.php?id=e0701050

Are all retailers like Amazon, Curry or Comet part of above scheme or I need to ask each retailer?

Your suggestion or sharing experience would help me taking call on above.

Many thanks,
Rajesh

AccountantMatthew
Member of Standing

Post by AccountantMatthew » Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:33 am

Speak with them individually before buying as forms needs to be filled out. From experience of having non-EU resident visitors buying from over here you may have to get a second opinion so I'd leave plenty of time before departure to get things sorted out.

I'm sure you've already thought of it but ringing the airport duty free shops ahead of departure for a price to compare against may also be an option.
Please don't private message me or e-mail me for free personal advice - you are just wasting your time writing something that won't get answered.
Anything written here shouldn't be construed as being formal advice given in a professional capacity.

barker

Post by barker » Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:11 pm

Hi Rajesh,

Your in-laws will need to purchase the TV from a retailer who accepts VAT refunds. They will issue you with a VAT refund slip along with the invoice. You will need to declare the goods at the airport before leaving the country. At Terminal 3 the VAT Refund counter is near gate D / E if I remember correctly. Once you clear security there is another counter where you need to get the invoice and refund slip stamped. They can then ask for the refund in a couple of ways but the easiest is to check with the retailer if he will reverse the amount back to the card and pay by credit card. Or else they could issue a cheque and you can collect it on their behalf. Do keep in mind there is a handling fee of about £75.00 so not all the VAT will be refunded.

DO NOT pay for the goods on a UK debit or credit card, if you do so then they will refuse to refund as goods have been purchased by someone resident here.