ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILR-10 year rule: Better to apply in person or by post?

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

wel_home
Newly Registered

ILR-10 year rule: Better to apply in person or by post?

Post by wel_home » Thu Oct 05, 2006 1:48 pm

Hi,

I have finished 10 years residence in UK, and I am planning to apply for ILR under 10 year rule.

I have been working as a doctor, and hence all passport stamps (hopefully!) are in order. I was wondering how long will be the delay if I apply for ILR by post? Or should I bite the bullet, and go for personal appearance at one of the centres and get it done in person? I have heard that ILR applications usually take long.

Any advice would be most appreciated.

Thanks
Welhome

flyez

Post by flyez » Thu Oct 05, 2006 2:26 pm

I will suggest you apply ILR in person if you think your visa has been always continuous all the time and no over 3-month absence out of UK at any one time.

wel_home
Newly Registered

Post by wel_home » Fri Oct 06, 2006 6:45 am

Thanks Flyez, for your advice. Going through the passport, I have noticed that I had worked in Isle of Man for a 6 months. One visa extension stamp is labelled Isle of Man. I am not sure if stay in Isle of Man will be considered as stay in UK?

Any advice would be appreciated. I have also started a seperate post regarding it.

Welhome

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Fri Oct 06, 2006 12:49 pm

wel_home wrote: I have also started a seperate post regarding it.
Don't be surprised if the moderators lock the separate post.

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Sat Oct 07, 2006 5:14 am

wel_home wrote:Thanks Flyez, for your advice. Going through the passport, I have noticed that I had worked in Isle of Man for a 6 months. One visa extension stamp is labelled Isle of Man. I am not sure if stay in Isle of Man will be considered as stay in UK?
Quite possibly it won't be. You should get some good professional advice on whether this is likely to be a problem.

UK immigration questions concerning the Channel Islands and Isle of Man are complicated.

wel_home
Newly Registered

Post by wel_home » Thu Oct 26, 2006 12:39 am

Thanks every body for all the help on the forums.

Just a quick update. I got my ILR, I applied in person.

Regarding Isle of Man stay: since I worked in Isle of Man on UK visa, it was still considered as legal stay in UK. No specific issue were raised regarding that.

Thank

Wel_home

ronnng

Post by ronnng » Thu Oct 26, 2006 8:54 am

Hi Wel_home,

Congrat !! my frend is due to apply for his ILR on 10 years long residency basis, if i could just ask a couple of question regarding, which home office do you go to? what support document would they likely to ask for? any advise? my frend was studying in IOM for about 2 years, so he was kind of concern.

Thanks a lot, and Congratts again :P

wel_home
Newly Registered

Post by wel_home » Sat Oct 28, 2006 11:38 am

Hi,

I had emailed the immigration office with the following question.

Does my stay in Isle of Man will be considered (as same as Stay in UK), and counted towards the 10 year stay in UK?

The reply was : Your stay in the Isle of Man will be considered as stay in the UK as you was working on a UK visa.

Hope this helps. I went to Glasgow office. I took the P60 for the last 10 years & job contracts.

Wel-Home

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Sat Oct 28, 2006 3:58 pm

Wel-Home, congratulations on the ILR!

Do you now intend to apply for Naturalisation as British in a year's time?
John

wel_home
Newly Registered

Post by wel_home » Sat Oct 28, 2006 5:59 pm

John wrote:Wel-Home, congratulations on the ILR!

Do you now intend to apply for Naturalisation as British in a year's time?
Thanks John. Yes, I do intend to apply for naturalisation.

Wel_home