ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Criminal Convictions

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

pazpatel
Member of Standing

Criminal Convictions

Post by pazpatel » Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:00 pm

Morning,

Just a quick question and I hope someone can help me as it is playing on my mind a lot.

I am a UK citizen, and my wife is of a Indian national. We are in the process of applying for a Spousal VISA for my wife who is in India at the moment (we just got married), Do they do a criminal record check on both of us? I can see on the UKBA website they do a check on the applicant. But the applicant is my wife not me right? I am just the sponsor.

I have a criminal record from about 5-6 years ago now, cant remember for sure as it is something I try to forget about, but I done about 3 months in prision for something I am not at all proud about. So I only spent 3 months in prision and this was at least minimum of 5 years ago. My wife has no criminal conivictions.

I have not had one offence from that date though, never been arrested since coming out of prision. Not even a driving offence.

Do they do a criminal check on me as well? And if so do you think this will go against us?

Thanks for you help in advance.

Pazpp

pazpatel
Member of Standing

Post by pazpatel » Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:33 pm

Any help would be really appreciated

Thanks in advance.

This is not something I am proud of and just hope that it does not go against me as over the last 5 years I have turned my life totally around, including getting married and starting my own family.

cobra

Re: Criminal Convictions

Post by cobra » Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:45 pm

If you were sentence to 6 months or less, I presume you are fine.
please check the The Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974. It will help you to work out whether you have spent your time or not.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... eriods.pdf

You will need to install "adobe reader" to open the link above.

pazpatel
Member of Standing

Post by pazpatel » Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:11 am

cobra wrote:If you were sentence to 6 months or less, I presume you are fine.
please check the The Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974. It will help you to work out whether you have spent your time or not.

But do they do a criminal check on the sponsor as well? I am just the sponsor the main applicant is my wife who has no criminal convictions.

cobra

Post by cobra » Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:13 am

pazpatel wrote:
cobra wrote:If you were sentence to 6 months or less, I presume you are fine.

But do they do a criminal check on the sponsor as well? I am just the sponsor the main applicant is my wife who has no criminal convictions.
Not sure if the UKBA will be interested to check pass history. Hopefully somebody in forum will advise you what to do.

pazpatel
Member of Standing

Post by pazpatel » Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:16 am

Thanks for your Cobra.... Really appreciate.

Anyone else got any thoughst on this?

Thanks again in advance.

Cobra - Have you just gone through a VISA process for someone in India or are you in India your self? what is your story?

cobra

Post by cobra » Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:28 am

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/visas ... you-apply/

These are the informations the UKBA will require from you, and can`t find anything like checking criminal record.
Hope it will help you become more confident.

I am a Former asylum seeker originally from Africa.

Good luck