ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

***Advice required - British Citizenship****

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Due4ILR
Newly Registered

***Advice required - British Citizenship****

Post by Due4ILR » Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:31 pm

Hi Experts,

I need your help here with my situation.

I’m eligible and planning to apply for BC (Naturalisation) by end of July by route (5 Years (3 Years WP + 2 Year Tier1) + 1 Year ILR ).

However, my current Indian passport is expiring in Dec-2012. I understand from forum that usually BC process takes upto max 16 (6-8 weeks for Naturalisation process + 2-4 weeks for Ceremony + 3-4 weeks for British Passport arrival) if everything goes well. If I begin process in end of July, I should be able to get British Passport by end of November?

Just in case if the process takes longer than expected and my Indian passport come to expire while my application is in process with HO, what are the options I can have?

Do you suggest to renewe Indian Passport first and than apply for citizenship? Or I can apply for Indian passport renewal, when my applicaiton is in Process with Home Office?

Note - I've checked with my friend and he confirm that I can apply for Indian passport not before 3 months of Expiry...

Any suggestions, welcome !!!

Many Thanks in advance.....

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:50 pm

Do you plan to travel around December 2012? It is OK for your passport to expire if you don't need to travel. Once you become BC, you will need to surrender your Indian passport, so I don't see a point of just getting a new one before.

Due4ILR
Newly Registered

Post by Due4ILR » Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:54 pm

Jambo wrote:Do you plan to travel around December 2012? It is OK for your passport to expire if you don't need to travel. Once you become BC, you will need to surrender your Indian passport, so I don't see a point of just getting a new one before.
Thanks Jambo !!

currently don't have any plans travelling to India in December. Just in case if required in case of emergency, whats the options?

pennylessinindia

Re: ***Advice required - British Citizenship****

Post by pennylessinindia » Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:44 pm

Due4ILR wrote:Hi Experts,

Note - I've checked with my friend and he confirm that I can apply for Indian passport not before 3 months of Expiry...

Many Thanks in advance.....
Not true - Can be renewed one year before, although in practice can be done with 2 years or more. but as other said why apply for it going to BC soon
pennyless

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:36 pm

Due4ILR wrote:currently don't have any plans travelling to India in December. Just in case if required in case of emergency, whats the options?
Use NCS which will allow you to keep your passport. Then, if you need to renew it, you have the option.

As I said, there is no issue if the passport expires while your application is under consideration.

Due4ILR
Newly Registered

Post by Due4ILR » Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:41 pm

Jambo wrote:
Due4ILR wrote:currently don't have any plans travelling to India in December. Just in case if required in case of emergency, whats the options?
Use NCS which will allow you to keep your passport. Then, if you need to renew it, you have the option.

As I said, there is no issue if the passport expires while your application is under consideration.
Thanks All.... Just a last question, Whilst my application is under consideration, can i apply for renewal of passport if required?

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:40 am

Yes.