ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Tier1 ext-Claiming freelancing overseas earning

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

MOGA84

Tier1 ext-Claiming freelancing overseas earning

Post by MOGA84 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:59 pm

Hi There
I have Tier1 general visa that will expires on Feb 2013. I've a full time job in UK But i still have to claim 10 points more to secure the extension. I've been working as afreelancer for an overseas company since january. The hourly rate is quoted in a foreign currency and getting transfered to my UK bank account in GPB based the bank currency exchange rate.
The questions are:
What sort of document i may provide as a proof of earning besides the bank statement? Does a letter from the company showing the gross paid amount is enough?

HSK Accountancy Services

Re: Tier1 ext-Claiming freelancing overseas earning

Post by HSK Accountancy Services » Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:41 pm

MOGA84 wrote:Hi There
I have Tier1 general visa that will expires on Feb 2013. I've a full time job in UK But i still have to claim 10 points more to secure the extension. I've been working as afreelancer for an overseas company since january. The hourly rate is quoted in a foreign currency and getting transfered to my UK bank account in GPB based the bank currency exchange rate.
The questions are:
What sort of document i may provide as a proof of earning besides the bank statement? Does a letter from the company showing the gross paid amount is enough?
You need to get registered with HMRC as Self-employed or work through limited company.

Pay NIC and taxes if applicable. You will need certificate from a qualified accountant at the time of your application with HO.

Search the forum for Self Employed documents and you will find many!

Cheers

MOGA84

Post by MOGA84 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:09 pm

You need to get registered with HMRC as Self-employed or work through limited company.
I don't want to register as Self-employed, I want to hire an accountant to fill/complete tax return for the overseas income.
I think that the accountant’s letter confirming gross and net earnings of the overseas earning, in addition to my bank statement showing the payments should be enough. what do you think?
Also Tier 1 general guidance pdf-previous earning section says:
applicants claiming points for self-employed earnings made in the UK must provide documents to show that they are registered as self-employed and were registered as self-employed for the period when this money was earned.
I already received the payment, thus i can't claim it as an self employment earning since i havn't registered yet as self employed.

>HSK Accountancy Services: thank you for your answer. I can see that you're Chartered Certified Accountants, I'll appreciate if you let me know your thoughts?

MB243

Post by MB243 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:17 pm

MOGA84 wrote:
I don't want to register as Self-employed
dude, thats not a choice, its a requirement.

If you cant register as self employed then you need to be operating through an umbrella company or be a director of your own

MOGA84

Post by MOGA84 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:08 am

Yes I'm going to register to claim future earning But now I'm looking for a way to claim the points for earning already received, Is it applicable?

Manka10

Post by Manka10 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:30 am

MOGA84 wrote:
Yes I'm going to register to claim future earning But now I'm looking for a way to claim the points for earning already received, Is it applicable?
you can register upto 3 months after you started looking for work, so technically u can claim points for earnings going back 3 months from the date of registration

http://www.smarta.com/advice/accounting ... f-employed

If you have income through self employment before 3 months then better pay the penalty. keep your hands clean when it comes to taxes or your FLR will be in trouble
Manka