ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Extension "applicant can't claim point for Bachelor deg

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

nionlight
Member of Standing

Extension "applicant can't claim point for Bachelor deg

Post by nionlight » Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:46 pm

Hi Friends,

Can some one please clarify. In application form it says " An applicant cannot claim points for a Bachelor’s degree if : "he/she has had leave to remain as a Tier 1 (General) Migrant under the rules in place b) between 31 March 2009 and 5 April 2010,"

My brother applied on 5th March 2009 and got Tier 1 general under the rule placed before 31st March which allows to get point for Bachelor degree. But the visa is issued on 23rd April

He is due for Tier-1 extension. Now, how to prove that his visa was issued under previous rule and got point for bachelor degree, since the visa issue date is 23rd April.

Many Thanks for advice. :D

QuickSam
BANNED

Post by QuickSam » Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:00 pm

Current Tier 1 is proof enough.

He applied prior to the rules came into force and got an approval for the same. This looks pretty straight forward to me.

If there is a doubt, he can mention the same when asked, to the case worker if he applies in person or else on a cover letter if he applies through post.

params0073
United Kingdom

Post by params0073 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:01 pm

The application date for the initial application was :-'5th March 2009' and this is the date when you paid the free so you will get 30 point for the bachelor degree.It doesnt matter what is the start date on the visa what matter is the 'DATE OF APPLICATION' so in you case its '5th March 2009' .

nionlight
Member of Standing

Post by nionlight » Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:06 pm

params0073 wrote:The application date for the initial application was :-'5th March 2009' and this is the date when you paid the free so you will get 30 point for the bachelor degree.It doesnt matter what is the start date on the visa what matter is the 'DATE OF APPLICATION' so in you case its '5th March 2009' .
Thanks for feedback. But how to prove 'Date of application". there is no receipt or old application form or anything.... in the passport it just says visa issue date is 23rd April. Thanks.

QuickSam
BANNED

Post by QuickSam » Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:19 pm

As I already said, the Visa stamp on the passport is proof enough.

If you have further doubts, you can consult an immigration lawyer who would know how to present the case. I still think you, don't need a lawyer.

bond.boy203

Post by bond.boy203 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:28 pm

Or you can try points based calculator.. you have to input the date of application while trying out PBS based on which it willgive you an option whether you can claim points for the same or not.

I suppose it derives the points for your degree based on the date of application..

bond.boy203

Post by bond.boy203 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:30 pm

Also perhaps check your Old Email, you might have received an acknowledgement confirmation for the appointment /application on the first applied date

jmiller_100
Newly Registered

Post by jmiller_100 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:48 pm

I'm also in this exact situation for my extension application - I applied for my original Tier 1 prior to 31 March 2009 using a bachelor's degree in the points based system, but the visa was issued dated mid-April 2009.

When I looked at it, I thought paragraph 17 of the Immigration Rules Appendix A clearly dealt with this point:

"17. If the applicant has, or was last granted, leave as a Tier 1 (General) Migrant or a Highly skilled Migrant and the qualification for which points are now claimed was, in the applicant's last successful application for leave or for a Highly Skilled Migrant Programme approval letter, assessed to be of a higher level than now indicated by UK NARIC, the higher score of points will be awarded in this application too."

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/polic ... appendixa/

I just referred to the above paragraph in my covering letter to support my claim of points for my extension application. Will let you know as soon as I hear anything (1 month in and still waiting for biometric invitation letter).

rakeysh.patel
Diamond Member

Post by rakeysh.patel » Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:40 am

I think I understand where the frustration lies here. - If OP is using PB calculator, he would have trouble obtaining the points for his/her Bachelor's degree. As on Calculator, it will ask for First Successful Application Date - which (in my opinion) in essence should be the date when Initial Visa granted for T1, i.e. visa valid from date.

But if it helps at all to calm anyone's mind here - I am in very similar and marginally even more confused situation here as to what points to claim. I applied in March 08 for HSMP. Approved October 2008. Applied for T1 on 31/1/2009 and Visa granted as T1 G on 24/3/09. I have claimed points under old rules in place since my initial application was dated 31/1/09. I am going for an extension in person next month and good solicitor friend of mine have okayed all my documents :)

Thanks,
R
nionlight wrote:
params0073 wrote:The application date for the initial application was :-'5th March 2009' and this is the date when you paid the free so you will get 30 point for the bachelor degree.It doesnt matter what is the start date on the visa what matter is the 'DATE OF APPLICATION' so in you case its '5th March 2009' .
Thanks for feedback. But how to prove 'Date of application". there is no receipt or old application form or anything.... in the passport it just says visa issue date is 23rd April. Thanks.
An [Expensive] Immigrant journey has ended 19/08/2015. Good luck to you all out there...

mithuchopra
Newly Registered

uk visa reference number

Post by mithuchopra » Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:01 am

hi,

I am in the same situation and had the same question. I applied on 28th march and my visa stamped from 12th april 2009. I looked through my passport to find the solution to this a few months ago. If you look in the last few pages of your passport, there would be a reference number WITH application date (28th march in my case) which is he same as the reference number on ur visa page.

I have noticed that they put this refernce number on the last few pages in case of this application and also in case of rejections; not in other normal cases. So the would be able to track things using this number and date.

Hope this helps. Currently I am struggling to get an appoinmen for in person application for my extension. Postal is jus not an option in my case... Hmph...

Cheers!