ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Early Extension - Genuine reasons

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

ashdaone1
- thin ice -
Mood:
United Kingdom

Early Extension - Genuine reasons

Post by ashdaone1 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:45 am

Hello All,

First and foremost - I have spent a week scouring the forum on the debate of early extensions. Therefore, this is not a duplicate post. I have gone through the Extension Processing Timelines thread and individually checked instances where people have extended their visa much earlier than their original expiry date and still received extension until 2/3 years from their original expiry.

Having spoken to a few of them, I believe most of these applications were substantiated with genuine reasons which helped them secure the longer extension.

What I request is if people who have received earlier extension until the date of original expiry could please post their reasons or covering letters or any other factors that could be helpful to those who are contemplating the same.

My Case:

Original Visa Expires: 9th June 2012
(tentative date of application): March 15th 2012
Reasons:
1) Travel to France for my partner's family function in May/June. For which I will need a Schengen visa, which I cant have until I have at least 6 months validity on my UK visa

2) Parents planning a trip in June and wish to travel around Europe with them

3) Avoid the proposed increase in visa fees in April 2012. The fees goes up by £500 !!! (I am not sure, this is a reason I can mention in my application)

4) Planning to apply for a mortgage, and lenders unwilling to provide mortgage, till I have a longer visa validity.

Now I plan to apply a bit early (around 3 months early) and send application by post. Do you think these reasons, if covered in the cover letter will help me secure an extension till June 2013 instead of being saddled with an early extension and having to extend my visa again before applying for ILR?

Much Appreciated..

QuickSam
BANNED

Post by QuickSam » Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:48 am

I would suggest ... skipping the point about the visa fee :lol:

ashdaone1
- thin ice -
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by ashdaone1 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:59 am

Yes, do plan to skip the Visa fees as a reason. What I have seen is that people get the visa from the date of approval BUT the expiry is 2/3 years from the date of their original expiry.

Is this is a standard procedure or again, discretionary service? Any clues?

QuickSam
BANNED

Post by QuickSam » Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:01 pm

There is no discretionary power in that decision.

The visa is valid from the date of decision, the original expiry date doesn't matter. You'd get 3 yrs if you had an initial visa for 2 yrs and vice versa.

ashdaone1
- thin ice -
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by ashdaone1 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:08 pm

Quicksam, if you look at Page no 8 of the Visa Processing timeline forum (sorry I dont know how to link one thread in another).. this is what was posted by Freedommmm:

1. Current visa: Tier 1 (General)
2. Date of expiry of current leave (visa): 19/02/2012
3. Date application posted: 15/10/2011
4. Date payment debited: 17/10/2011
5. Payment mode: Debit Card
6. Acknowledgement received: 21/10/2011
7. Biometric letter received : 05/11/2011 (dated 03/11/2011)
7a. Biometrics provided : 05/11/2011 at PO
8. Date (new) leave to remain valid unitl: 19/02/2014
9. Date passport received: 23/11/2011 (Approved 16/11/2011)
10. BRP received : 24/11/2011

They got the approval in November 2011 but the visa expires in Feb 2014 only.

QuickSam
BANNED

Post by QuickSam » Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:33 pm

QuickSam wrote:There is no discretionary power in that decision.

The visa is valid from the date of decision, the original expiry date doesn't matter. You'd get 3 yrs if you had an initial visa for 2 yrs and vice versa.
What I meant is, in 90% cases or more the extension start dates are affected by the decision date. It might just be that the CW issued an extension valid till Feb 2014. It would be interesting to check the start date on this person's BRP (I am assuming, he would have a start date of 20/02/2012).

MB243

Post by MB243 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:35 pm

If you apply early then the CW can discreetly grant FLR from the date of expiry of old LTR if the date of decision & start of new leave (expiry of old) date is less than 3 months.

The point is, there is no standard procedure. People have got FLR from the date of decision even though the gap between old leave & date of decision was less than 3 months. In other words its entirely at the discretion of CW.

No matter what reasons you give, they will not accede to your request, may have their own reasons to consider first, which may be there is no reason at all, purely at their whim.

I feel it wont be a good idea to put on your covering letter requesting them to grant you FLR from the expiry of current LTR. Just leave it to destiny.

You could have planned earlier & applied for Schengen visa when you had more than 6 months on your current LTR.

Goodluck

QuickSam
BANNED

Post by QuickSam » Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:38 pm

What???? MBxxx have you read the original question? or have you posted the content for a different thread?

ashdaone1
- thin ice -
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by ashdaone1 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:44 pm

QuickSam wrote:
QuickSam wrote:There is no discretionary power in that decision.

What I meant is, in 90% cases or more the extension start dates are affected by the decision date. It might just be that the CW issued an extension valid till Feb 2014. It would be interesting to check the start date on this person's BRP (I am assuming, he would have a start date of 20/02/2012).

QuickSam - yes I spoke with this person and they confirmed that their visa starts from the date they received the approval (Nov) BUT is applicable till Feb 2012. Their advice was to include a covering letter.

I am just trying to collate more similar experiences.. and see what others have to say.

ashdaone1
- thin ice -
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by ashdaone1 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:48 pm

MB243 wrote:If you apply early then the CW can discreetly grant FLR from the date of expiry of old LTR if the date of decision & start of new leave (expiry of old) date is less than 3 months.

The point is, there is no standard procedure. People have got FLR from the date of decision even though the gap between old leave & date of decision was less than 3 months. In other words its entirely at the discretion of CW.

No matter what reasons you give, they will not accede to your request, may have their own reasons to consider first, which may be there is no reason at all, purely at their whim.

I feel it wont be a good idea to put on your covering letter requesting them to grant you FLR from the expiry of current LTR. Just leave it to destiny.

You could have planned earlier & applied for Schengen visa when you had more than 6 months on your current LTR.

Goodluck
Hello MB243 - Now this is something entirely new. So, a CW CAN actually and in his/her discretion grant FLR from the date of expiry to 2/3 years further? I never knew or read of this anywhere else. The only thing I read was UKBA's guideline that they will always issue it from the date of approval.

if you refer to my comment above.. in some (in fact many) cases that I have seen in the processing Timelines thread, people have got their visa from the date of approval BUT it ends only 2/3 years after their initial date of expiry. I have been advised by some to in fact include a covering letter to state the reasons for early extension.

And for planning - I have been keeping an eye on this for long. I have a circulation Schengen visa and I could not renew it more than a 1 month before it expires. And as I did not have 1 year left on my visa, I would have got a short stay visa, therefore breaking my circulation visa chain.. which is something I definitely do not want to do. Therefore.. its between a rock and a hard place for me!

MB243

Post by MB243 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:56 pm

Apologies, fudged up regarding the Schengen visa part but what I meant was, people who have got FLR from the date of expiry of old LTR didnt really ask or state any reason in the covering letter for early application.

Some have got FLR from the date of decision no matter when current LTR was expiring & some have got FLR from the expiry of current LTR without giving any explanation about the early application.

If you have done more research in early application cases & feel including reasons for it might help your application the by all means go for it.

ashdaone1
- thin ice -
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by ashdaone1 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:01 pm

Thanks, that is what I was exactly after.. a bit of view from both sides. I do have a feeling that including the reasons for early extension might be good. but I am not sure, whether to explicitly ask for FLr to be given from the date of LTR.

But I am still intrigued by your comment regarding the 3 month grace period where the CW can decide when to validate the FLR from?

Do you know where can I find some info or guideline regarding that?

Many Thanks.

MB243

Post by MB243 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:05 pm

ashdaone1 wrote: But I am still intrigued by your comment regarding the 3 month grace period where the CW can decide when to validate the FLR from?

Do you know where can I find some info or guideline regarding that?
I have read on some other forum or CW notes that they have that discretion, dont remember exactly but will send over the link if I come across it

MB243

Post by MB243 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:08 pm

ashdaone1 wrote:Thanks, that is what I was exactly after.. a bit of view from both sides. I do have a feeling that including the reasons for early extension might be good. but I am not sure, whether to explicitly ask for FLr to be given from the date of LTR.
Asking for it explicitly is not a good idea but giving reasons & indirectly hinting at it is :wink:

ashdaone1
- thin ice -
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by ashdaone1 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:09 pm

Cheers, Please do.

Anyone else who've had an early extension or have dealt with it.. please share your thoughts and experiences.

Thanks!

rakeysh.patel
Diamond Member

Re: Early Extension - Genuine reasons

Post by rakeysh.patel » Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:03 pm

Sorry if this is not what you're expecting to receive as a response:
ashdaone1 wrote:Hello All,

1) Travel to France for my partner's family function in May/June. For which I will need a Schengen visa, which I cant have until I have at least 6 months validity on my UK visa - I have T1 visa valid until 24th March and successfully obtained Business Schengen visa: Applied on 20th Jan. Visa valid from 29th Jan - 28th Feb 2012, exactly as requested??? And have toured and back, not even a single question asked at Border!!!

2) Parents planning a trip in June and wish to travel around Europe with them - This to me wouldn't be considered as Reason, neither should above for them to bend the rules for you.

3) Avoid the proposed increase in visa fees in April 2012. The fees goes up by £500 !!! (I am not sure, this is a reason I can mention in my application) - NOT A CHANCE

4) Planning to apply for a mortgage, and lenders unwilling to provide mortgage, till I have a longer visa validity. - NOPE. Again, I very recently obtained a mortgage with Halifax (in Nov 11) and still visa expiry date is 23/4/2012. SO NO TO THIS AS WELL

Now I plan to apply a bit early (around 3 months early) and send application by post. Do you think these reasons, if covered in the cover letter will help me secure an extension till June 2013 instead of being saddled with an early extension and having to extend my visa again before applying for ILR?

Much Appreciated..
An [Expensive] Immigrant journey has ended 19/08/2015. Good luck to you all out there...

ashdaone1
- thin ice -
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by ashdaone1 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:18 pm

Wow. Thanks for the detailed reply.

Regarding the Schengen visa issue, I am not sure about business visa, as their requirements might vary. What I hold is a circulation visa, which is a year on year visa and is valid for a year. As mentioned above, if I do apply for the Circular visa, I am most likely to get either a short stay visa of 1 month or 3 months. The schengen visa rules clearly state that for a visitor visa to be granted, there should be a valid UK visa and should be valid for at least 6 months more than the intended date of travel.

Also, if you once break the chain of circulation visa, you are back to square 1 and is difficult to obtain that again.

Regarding the fees, that's just a point I raised here. Obviously will not include in my letter :D

And for mortgage, well, the two independent advisors I met have raised this as an issue. Maybe Halifax is better and I will explore that option too. But for now, this is what I have been told by the advisors I have met! (maybe they arent being as independent as I thought!)

In any case, my parent are here on 1st of June and my visa expires on 9th June. if I apply only a month in advance, it is very very likely, I will not have my documents back in time to be able travel during June. UKBA themselves advise you to be careful about your travel plans.

Also, looking at some applications dates in the visa processing timelines thread, I am a bit encouraged that they do sometimes extend your visa till 2 years after the expiry of original LTR.

What do you think? Still not worth taking the gamble of applying early? (of course, I tried to get an appointment in the PEO .. ahuh! seems like no matter how much fees they increase, they will stubbornly refuse to increase their staff!) :evil:

rakeysh.patel
Diamond Member

Post by rakeysh.patel » Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:25 pm

Taking a risk is always your call. I am not sure about Circulation visa, so pardon me for that. Mortgage, again not my area of expertise, but I had my mortgage approved for house worth £205k, on the 8th working day after making the application. You would be in loose loose situation with UKBA on early extension.

IF you extend early - you are most likely to fall short for ILR and will need another extension. By the time your visa fees may have reached £2000 !!! And even worse (not in bad way) if you have dependent.

IF you do not extend early and do it around 28 days before the expiry date of ur visa - You miss out on your partner's family function and your parent's visit to the UK

MY only suggestion would be - Try same day service bang on 28 days prior to your visa expiry date. Providing your case is straight forward and lucky enough, yu would walk out with visa the same day.

Apologies but that is as far as my advice can go :) Good Luck
An [Expensive] Immigrant journey has ended 19/08/2015. Good luck to you all out there...

ashdaone1
- thin ice -
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by ashdaone1 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:48 pm

Yes, of course, taking the risk is the call and I have thought exactly on the same lines as you. That in the years to come if I have to extend my visa, I will be paying another £2k most probably!

But the damn PEO appointments arent available either :( I have been checking every day.. but none have been cancelled so far it seems.

however another thought is - if I apply, say 2.5 months in adavnce.. they anyway normally take 2 months (8 weeks) to apporve the visa.. so even if I get the visa 0.5 months (2 weeks) before my LTR expiry, I am all right (as lomg as I have 4 yrs 11 months, I can still apply for ILR, cant I)?

So, a 2.5 month headtstart seems a fair bet to me. What do you suppose?

raxs1983 wrote:Taking a risk is always your call. I am not sure about Circulation visa, so pardon me for that. Mortgage, again not my area of expertise, but I had my mortgage approved for house worth £205k, on the 8th working day after making the application. You would be in loose loose situation with UKBA on early extension.

IF you extend early - you are most likely to fall short for ILR and will need another extension. By the time your visa fees may have reached £2000 !!! And even worse (not in bad way) if you have dependent.

IF you do not extend early and do it around 28 days before the expiry date of ur visa - You miss out on your partner's family function and your parent's visit to the UK

MY only suggestion would be - Try same day service bang on 28 days prior to your visa expiry date. Providing your case is straight forward and lucky enough, yu would walk out with visa the same day.

Apologies but that is as far as my advice can go :) Good Luck

rakeysh.patel
Diamond Member

Post by rakeysh.patel » Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:52 pm

It will be good in most cases and to most people to get their visa in say 2-3 weeks. But if that happens to your case, it would be diabolical :(

Decision Decision

ashdaone1
- thin ice -
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by ashdaone1 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:03 pm

Ha ha ha.. ever applied for government service and really wished and prayed that they are slow? And turns out they are quick to process your application?? That would be such a tragedy.. ha ha ha!

The biggest reason for my confusion is that I was very very sure that I stood no chance of getting a favourable extension, but going through the timelines in the extension timelines thread - it seems that most of them have got it from their date of expiry of LTR.

That has what has thrown me into this dilemma and therefore I was hoping, people with similar experiences might come forward and post their experiences here!