ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Completing 200 days on HSMP

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

ajex-2000

Completing 200 days on HSMP

Post by ajex-2000 » Fri Oct 27, 2006 12:43 pm

Hi all,

Sharing with you my learnings while on HSMP in UK

I landed end March 06 in UK on HSMP without a job in hand but hope in the eyes.

Used to work as Sales director with MNC Giant in India but travels abroad motivated me to apply for HSMP.

My Learnings.

Key ---- If you do not have a job in hand think twice before getting your family along with..

1>> It is extremely difficult to find a job here in sales and marketing coming from India though u may have worked for top MNC for 15 years and may have a MBA to boot with.... It took me almost 100 days...

It was hell sitting home apply,apply and no response.

But one needs to persevere....

I was fortunate to have a ex colleague working in another country, working for the same company I joined.i was able to use his reference ...

Before coming here try to find out contacts who will put in a word for you.....

I am sure the story is entirely different for our Software programmers as their skills are readily transferrable but in Front ending sales role it is damn tough....

2>> The consultants see your CV and see zero UK experience they do not forward your CV to recruiting companies.Use Jobsite,Jobseve,monster etc, I have totally sent 400 applications before getting the job..

Tailor make your each job response covering letter and CV suiting the ad requirements.Cover letter is absolutely important unlike back home...

3>> It makes eminent sense to contact the employer directly than through consultants.See which companies are new start ups..

4>> 99 out of 100 consultants do not bother to write back if the applied position has been filled.They will call you with Great intrest and then vanish for ever...

5>> As soon as you arrive in UK apply for provisional driving licence - many banks accept this as proof of residence and your passport is sufficient for the DVLA to issue the licence.

6>>Based on the licence you can get membership of local council liabrary where you can spend the day mailing ,reading etc ,,now a days they are even allowing to use memory stick to upload new version of CV also.

7>> Stay in wembley/Hounslow like indian areas where food and other suff is comparitively cheap.

Warning - London is one of the most expensive citi in the world

8>> Try to come during summer if possible it is easier to adjust...

9>> Try to take help from your UK friend to get a contract mobile phone/ Pay as you go option on all operators is very expensive.

10>> If you smoke then come from India with legally permissible number of cigarettes.Smoking is really expensive here.May be that will motivate all to give up...

11.> UK is a very good country with extremely aloof culture ( no body talks to each other on the tube example one day some one just jumped infront of the tube and died but only one lady expressed shock among 25 people ) but people are generally fair,honest in their dealing with all .

12>> Remember when you are in Rome behave as if you are Roman ,adapt their manner of speaking esp. the accent,be very polite to others ,learn to thank others and not to take anyone for granted etc..

All the best in your quest....

Cheers

syedajmal
Newly Registered

Other Experiences

Post by syedajmal » Fri Oct 27, 2006 2:56 pm

Can you post your Experiences getting EC and your first Entry into the UK on HSMP. Anything specific or peculiar at the imiigration counter at the Airport.
The other thing I have seen on this post is that you will have medicals at the Airport. Is that true?

Specifics in getting accomodation? Approximate Cost? Total cost to live for those 100 days etc. Any bit of detail would be great

Thanks in advance.

windmill

Post by windmill » Fri Oct 27, 2006 11:14 pm

nice to see you taking time and effort to share your views with others. :-)

Thanks and good luck in your future endeavors!

ajex-2000

Re: Other Experiences

Post by ajex-2000 » Sun Oct 29, 2006 6:33 pm

Hi,

Getting EC was quite straight forward.I do not remember it all as it was quite sometime back...

I was called for an Interview to Mumbai.

The officer verified everything which I had mentioned on my form and checked for consistency in answers...

Asked whether I want to make UK my home..( the answer is yes)

On first entry the officer asked me about

where I am going to stay,my qualifications etc.it was quite straight forward.

During the first entry since u are going to stay more than 6 months so x-ray of chest was to be done the airport .I was carrying the x-ray which I had done in India a week back and it saved some time.People generally are trusting as my x ray just had my first name but still it was ok for them..

You should try to stay in Asian dominated area's and I could find acco in Hounslow where a single room costs 70-80 £ per week ( incl.shared Spam,central heating and washing m/c).And I personally find this is a ok area for a bachelor.People ask for reference and 1 month deposit if they do not know you.Most of the Indian Grocery shops advertise the rooms..

If u know cooking ( I think this is a pre requisite to save money) then u can do with approx 25 £ per week for a single person.So the room which u take should allow u to cooking .

U should take Oyster pay as you go card as this will save your costs on esp.Bus travel in london .

I have tried to cover as much ground as possible ....

All the best

cheers

ajex

[quote="syedajmal"]Can you post your Experiences getting EC and your first Entry into the UK on HSMP. Anything specific or peculiar at the imiigration counter at the Airport.
The other thing I have seen on this post is that you will have medicals at the Airport. Is that true?

Specifics in getting accomodation? Approximate Cost? Total cost to live for those 100 days etc. Any bit of detail would be great

Thanks in advance.[/quote]

srib
Newly Registered

Post by srib » Tue Oct 31, 2006 6:55 am

Hi ajex-2000,
Thanks a lot for sharing your experiences. This will definitely help everyone coming to UK.
Regards,
srib

rizwan567
Diamond Member

Post by rizwan567 » Tue Oct 31, 2006 11:34 am

highly appreciated