ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

EU national - Applied for a visit visa for my non-eu wife

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

keloid

EU national - Applied for a visit visa for my non-eu wife

Post by keloid » Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:24 pm

If she is granted the visit visa, how many months will she have before she must use this visa?

Thanks in advance

keloid

Post by keloid » Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:37 pm

anyone?

adlexy

Re: EU national - Applied for a visit visa for my non-eu wif

Post by adlexy » Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:59 am

keloid wrote:If she is granted the visit visa, how many months will she have before she must use this visa?

Thanks in advance
Hi Keloid,

The C-Visa is usually for 90days in the first instance and it is "supposed" to be for a single visit.

To now answer your question, there is a date of issue and a date of expiry, usually 90days in between so you can arrive anytime before it expires. I visited Ireland once in 2006 with only 4days remaining on my visit visa and this was extended for a further one month at the airport - that was in the heady days of the Celtic Tiger and I was traveling from London where I live which may have assured the Garda that I am no risk of being an over-stayer. However, I will suggest you arrive as soon as possible.

All the best

keloid

Post by keloid » Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:55 pm

adlexy wrote:
keloid wrote:If she is granted the visit visa, how many months will she have before she must use this visa?

Thanks in advance
Hi Keloid,

The C-Visa is usually for 90days in the first instance and it is "supposed" to be for a single visit.

To now answer your question, there is a date of issue and a date of expiry, usually 90days in between so you can arrive anytime before it expires. I visited Ireland once in 2006 with only 4days remaining on my visit visa and this was extended for a further one month at the airport - that was in the heady days of the Celtic Tiger and I was traveling from London where I live which may have assured the Garda that I am no risk of being an over-stayer. However, I will suggest you arrive as soon as possible.

All the best
Thanks a lot for this.

So I'm guessing there is no automatic right to extend a visit visa should you enter the country late?

adlexy

Post by adlexy » Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:36 pm

I will say there is no "automatic" rights to extend a C-visit visa. However, there is now a new STAMP 0 with which you can request an extension of the C-visit visa in an "exceptional humanitarian circumstances"

See: http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Stamp%20 ... mp%200.pdf

All the best

keloid

Post by keloid » Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:51 am

adlexy wrote:I will say there is no "automatic" rights to extend a C-visit visa. However, there is now a new STAMP 0 with which you can request an extension of the C-visit visa in an "exceptional humanitarian circumstances"

See: http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Stamp%20 ... mp%200.pdf

All the best
Thanks very much

Ben
Diamond Member

Post by Ben » Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:54 am

Keloid, are you resident in Ireland in conformity with EU law? If you are, your wife is entitled to live with you in Ireland for as long as you do.
I am no longer posting publicly on this website - PM me if needed.

keloid

Post by keloid » Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:49 pm

Ben wrote:Keloid, are you resident in Ireland in conformity with EU law? If you are, your wife is entitled to live with you in Ireland for as long as you do.
Ben, at the moment I am not in conformity with EU law, the reason being that I am not yet unemployed.

That said I am mulling over an employment contract at the minute. But the problem is that the contract states that im an 'independent contract' - does that count as being 'employed' for EC purposes?

Ben
Diamond Member

Post by Ben » Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:53 pm

keloid wrote:
Ben wrote:Keloid, are you resident in Ireland in conformity with EU law? If you are, your wife is entitled to live with you in Ireland for as long as you do.
Ben, at the moment I am not in conformity with EU law, the reason being that I am not yet unemployed.

That said I am mulling over an employment contract at the minute. But the problem is that the contract states that im an 'independent contract' - does that count as being 'employed' for EC purposes?
Yes it does.

keloid

Post by keloid » Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:49 pm

Ben wrote:
keloid wrote:

Yes it does.
Thanks for this.
Firstly - wanted to correct a typo - meant to say - 'independent contractor'.

Thanks for your feedback Ben - am I correct in thinking that an independent contractor would fall under the 'self-employed' category when it comes to submitting the EU1 form?

thanks again.

Ben
Diamond Member

Post by Ben » Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:07 pm

keloid wrote:
Ben wrote:
keloid wrote:

Yes it does.
Thanks for this.
Firstly - wanted to correct a typo - meant to say - 'independent contractor'.

Thanks for your feedback Ben - am I correct in thinking that an independent contractor would fall under the 'self-employed' category when it comes to submitting the EU1 form?

thanks again.
Yes you are correct.

Trinx

Post by Trinx » Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:11 pm

i have a friend who has been granted a visit visa.. he has his own funds and will stay at a hotel... I sent him an invite letter but i did not offer support with bank statements.. as he is staying in hotel and i wont be supporting him..It will be his first time to visit me here.. Is there a chance he could be stopped and sent home?????

adlexy

Post by adlexy » Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:31 pm

Trinx wrote:i have a friend who has been granted a visit visa.. he has his own funds and will stay at a hotel... I sent him an invite letter but i did not offer support with bank statements.. as he is staying in hotel and i wont be supporting him..It will be his first time to visit me here.. Is there a chance he could be stopped and sent home?????
I dont think so.

However, a visa is only an authorisation to present yourself at the Irish immigration point and not necessarily a right to enter the country. The officer will then determine based on tickets and hotel booking to allow for specific number of days or weeks.

I will suggest that your friend MUST book a hotel and make sure he has documented fact that he has booked and made some payment for the duration of his stay. A printout from the hotel confirming payment and reservation will usually do. Since you have sent him a letter of invite or a reference letter, it will be wise as well if he has that letter with him. And finally, if he can have your mobile number so that you are available to speak with immigration when he arrives. If you can, making yourself available at the airport to pick him is usually a massive plus :)

I have been called to confirm I am expecting someone a number of times and if you could have your GNIB card handy will be very useful as they may ask for your GBIN number.

And as usual, he MUST of necessaity carry his return ticket and his proof of funds; cash in Euro usually work the magic :)

Trinx

Post by Trinx » Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:21 pm

thanks alot for that..

Im looking forward to seeing him.. he will come in in the middle of March and im just getting nervous .. I havent seen him in 8 months :( i they send him back ill be gutted.. He will be supporting himself.. he has over 7000 on conversion to euro in his bank account but i have not even the colour of it in my bank account.. im terrified they will stop him based on the fact that i cant support him financially even though he is staying iin a hotel..

keloid

Post by keloid » Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:41 am

adlexy wrote:
Trinx wrote:i have a friend who has been granted a visit visa.. he has his own funds and will stay at a hotel... I sent him an invite letter but i did not offer support with bank statements.. as he is staying in hotel and i wont be supporting him..It will be his first time to visit me here.. Is there a chance he could be stopped and sent home?????
I dont think so.

However, a visa is only an authorisation to present yourself at the Irish immigration point and not necessarily a right to enter the country. The officer will then determine based on tickets and hotel booking to allow for specific number of days or weeks.

I will suggest that your friend MUST book a hotel and make sure he has documented fact that he has booked and made some payment for the duration of his stay. A printout from the hotel confirming payment and reservation will usually do. Since you have sent him a letter of invite or a reference letter, it will be wise as well if he has that letter with him. And finally, if he can have your mobile number so that you are available to speak with immigration when he arrives. If you can, making yourself available at the airport to pick him is usually a massive plus :)

I have been called to confirm I am expecting someone a number of times and if you could have your GNIB card handy will be very useful as they may ask for your GBIN number.

And as usual, he MUST of necessaity carry his return ticket and his proof of funds; cash in Euro usually work the magic :)
is it necessary for a no-EU family member of an EU citizen, coming to ireland on a visit visa, to produce all these documents at the border? Surely if they just tell the border guard they want to stay 90 days in the state, the guard should just grant it?

adlexy

Post by adlexy » Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:35 pm

Trinx wrote:thanks alot for that..

Im looking forward to seeing him.. he will come in in the middle of March and im just getting nervous .. I havent seen him in 8 months :( i they send him back ill be gutted.. He will be supporting himself.. he has over 7000 on conversion to euro in his bank account but i have not even the colour of it in my bank account.. im terrified they will stop him based on the fact that i cant support him financially even though he is staying iin a hotel..
I think he should be fine :)

As long as he has proof of where he would stay and proof that he will return to his country of origin after his stay.

adlexy

Post by adlexy » Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:38 pm

[/quote]

is it necessary for a no-EU family member of an EU citizen, coming to ireland on a visit visa, to produce all these documents at the border? Surely if they just tell the border guard they want to stay 90 days in the state, the guard should just grant it?[/quote]

Well I will suggest that the non-EU family member visiting Ireland should come prepared to defend the assumption that he plans to stay permanently :)

There is a difference however, if the non-EU family member of an EU is travelling WITH The EU citizen, this will not be necessary. Otherwise, the non_EU family member on a C-visit visa should expect to be treated as a non-EU on a regular visit to Ireland.

All the best :)

keloid

Post by keloid » Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:18 pm

adlexy wrote:
is it necessary for a no-EU family member of an EU citizen, coming to ireland on a visit visa, to produce all these documents at the border? Surely if they just tell the border guard they want to stay 90 days in the state, the guard should just grant it?[/quote]

Well I will suggest that the non-EU family member visiting Ireland should come prepared to defend the assumption that he plans to stay permanently :)

There is a difference however, if the non-EU family member of an EU is travelling WITH The EU citizen, this will not be necessary. Otherwise, the non_EU family member on a C-visit visa should expect to be treated as a non-EU on a regular visit to Ireland.

All the best :)[/quote]

Hi adlexy - thanks for your response.

So, just to clarify, because my wife will travel with me when we enter Ireland, then she should be granted an immediate 90 day visa stamp? We don't need to provide any documentation at all/ proof of our plans? Would it wiser to say that we entering as visitors - or that we are entering with an intention to reside?