ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Unmarried partner of a Tier 1 holder

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

daYZman

Unmarried partner of a Tier 1 holder

Post by daYZman » Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:55 pm

Hi,

If I am granted a Tier 1 Entrepreneur or Investor visa, could I bring my long-time girlfriend using a kind of unmarried partner visa? Is the Unmarried Partner visa only available to partners of people with settled status?

Thanks

Lucapooka
Respected Guru

Post by Lucapooka » Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:35 pm

You can if you are able to prove 2 years of co-habitation in an interpersonal relationship akin to marriage.

daYZman

Post by daYZman » Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:40 pm

Lucapooka wrote:You can if you are able to prove 2 years of co-habitation in an interpersonal relationship akin to marriage.
Thanks for the reply. Do you know where I can find such information online? I've looked at http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/visas ... -students/ but it doesn't seem to mention anything about co-habitation etc.

Lucapooka
Respected Guru

Post by Lucapooka » Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:56 pm

The immigration rules:

319C. Requirements for entry clearance or leave to remain

To qualify for entry clearance or leave to remain as the Partner of a Relevant Points Based System Migrant, an applicant must meet the requirements listed below. If the applicant meets these requirements, entry clearance or leave to remain will be granted. If the applicant does not meet these requirements, the application will be refused.

Requirements:
[...]
(c) An applicant who is the unmarried or same-sex partner of a Relevant Points Based System Migrant must also meet the following requirements:
[...]
(iii) the applicant and the Relevant Points Based System Migrant must have been living together in a relationship similar to marriage or civil partnership for a period of at least 2 years

daYZman

Post by daYZman » Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:23 pm

Lucapooka wrote:
Requirements:
[...]
(c) An applicant who is the unmarried or same-gender partner of a Relevant Points Based System Migrant must also meet the following requirements:
[...]
(iii) the applicant and the Relevant Points Based System Migrant must have been living together in a relationship similar to marriage or civil partnership for a period of at least 2 years
Thanks a lot. Do you happen to know what kind of documentary evidence is needed in order to show that we've been living together for 2 years?

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:40 pm

Bills, letters, showing joint address..council tax with both names..joint finances/bank statements etc.

daYZman

Post by daYZman » Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:42 pm

Casa wrote:Bills, letters, showing joint address..council tax with both names..joint finances/bank statements etc.
Thanks.

Dabby

Post by Dabby » Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:24 am

Give them EVERYTHING you can possibly give them. We gave all the basics as expected and advised showing 3 years worth but it wasn't enough.

Just to be on the safe side, don't give too little. I understand now after we were rejected that they are very strict on unmarried partners. You don't just have to prove you lived at the same address but that it was indeed in a relationship akin to marriage. They fail to highlight the importance of that on their website...

We're currently appealing wishing we gave more evidence in the first place.

Lucapooka
Respected Guru

Post by Lucapooka » Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:22 am

Dabby wrote:You don't just have to prove you lived at the same address but that it was indeed in a relationship akin to marriage. They fail to highlight the importance of that on their website...
?

Dabby

Post by Dabby » Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:24 am

Yes indeed. We thought the evidence we originally provided was more than enough odd that, buy apparently not. We needed more than they suggested one would.

anniecc

Post by anniecc » Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:45 pm

Dabby what evidence did you provide with your original application? We've got an unmarried partner application currently in the process, and I'm starting to get nervous that we did not provide enough documentation of our relationship, other than the fact we live at the same address. I've heard that UKBA sometimes come back to you if they think you have not given enough evidence to start with?