ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

misapplication of the law by INIS?

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

keloid

misapplication of the law by INIS?

Post by keloid » Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:22 pm

I'm British.

Wife is non-EU.

Want to apply for Residence Card on the basis that I'm exercising my EU Treaty Rights because I'm self-sufficient.

However, just been informed by INIS that all my bank accounts should be held jointly in both my name and my spouse's name. Is this correct? This can't be right. Surely as long I'm self-sufficient - and that I have enough money to cover my living expenses for me and my wife - that's acceptable. What difference does it make it my wife's name is on the accounts or not? Is this even a requirement?

IQU
Diamond Member

Post by IQU » Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:49 pm

you should contact solvit www.solvit.ie

keloid

Post by keloid » Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:52 pm

IQU wrote:you should contact solvit www.solvit.ie
Surely it cant be the true that, as my wife is financially dependent on me, I have to prove that she has funds in her name too?

newbieholland
United Kingdom

Post by newbieholland » Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:53 pm

keloid wrote:
IQU wrote:you should contact solvit www.solvit.ie
Surely it cant be the true that, as my wife is financially dependent on me, I have to prove that she has funds in her name too?
Is your wife`s EU1 application on hold due to this? How and why were you informed to have her name on your account? Did the EU treaty ask you to provide evidence of joint bank account with funds to complete your EU1 application? You need to give more information.

If this was informed to you officially then you can make complaints. If this was sent as a reply to any of your inquiry then you just need to ignore it.
"The time to repair the roof is when the sun is shining."

agniukas

Post by agniukas » Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:35 pm

i think this is so that to show that your spouse as your dependant, has access to the funds that you hold. if you have a bank account and she has access to that bank account, that shows that she is your dependant, and you support her... that would be my thinking...

adlexy

Post by adlexy » Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:19 pm

agniukas wrote:i think this is so that to show that your spouse as your dependant, has access to the funds that you hold. if you have a bank account and she has access to that bank account, that shows that she is your dependant, and you support her... that would be my thinking...
I am not sure the intent of those who framed the EU Directive includes telling applicants to have "joint" bank account. It should not be the prerogative of the INIS to assume that having joint account translates to having access to the same fund - a silly line of thinking.

Are they looking for a one week bank statement then? It cannot get any sillier than this :) Or is the application to be made after they have opened the account together and "LIVING" here in Ireland for 6months?

Moreover, there is no where in the application form, where "joint" bank account is a requirement. You only need to sign up that you are of independent "sufficient" resources!

(E) Residing with sufficient resources:
1. Bank statements AND/OR other evidence of financial resources
2. Letter from private medical insurance provider (for EU citizen and any dependents)

I will suggest that this be escalated to SOLVIT :(

All the best

adlexy

Post by adlexy » Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:19 pm

agniukas wrote:i think this is so that to show that your spouse as your dependant, has access to the funds that you hold. if you have a bank account and she has access to that bank account, that shows that she is your dependant, and you support her... that would be my thinking...
I am not sure the intent of those who framed the EU Directive includes telling applicants to have "joint" bank account. It should not be the prerogative of the INIS to assume that having joint account translates to having access to the same fund - a silly line of thinking.

Are they looking for a one week bank statement then? It cannot get any sillier than this :) Or is the application to be made after they have opened the account together and "LIVING" here in Ireland for 6months?

Moreover, there is no where in the application form, where "joint" bank account is a requirement. You only need to sign up that you are of independent "sufficient" resources!

(E) Residing with sufficient resources:
1. Bank statements AND/OR other evidence of financial resources
2. Letter from private medical insurance provider (for EU citizen and any dependents)

I will suggest that this be escalated to SOLVIT :(

All the best

fatty patty

Post by fatty patty » Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:28 am

Very valid point. But it can be easily rectified imho by sending DOJ an attested letter stating he/she has access to those funds at any given time.

adlexy

Post by adlexy » Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:42 pm

fatty patty wrote:
Very valid point. But it can be easily rectified imho by sending DOJ an attested letter stating he/she has access to those funds at any given time.
If that is their thinking, then that is a warped logic and a silly way to think.

I dont see the sense in the argument that a Dependant MUST have access to your account or be listed on a joint account to prove that they have access to the funds. It doesnt make sense and the framers of the Directive did not ask for joint accounts - for the same reason!

It is just one of the many "rules" that these guys come up with all the time through the back door to torment people with silly requests.

And then they will soon ask for PRTB with both names listed :)

ImmigrationLawyer
Member of Standing

Post by ImmigrationLawyer » Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:54 am

I agree they are being ridiculous and unreasonable. Surely they couldn't refuse your application on that basis.

walrusgumble
BANNED

Re: misapplication of the law by INIS?

Post by walrusgumble » Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:11 pm

keloid wrote:I'm British.

Wife is non-EU.

Want to apply for Residence Card on the basis that I'm exercising my EU Treaty Rights because I'm self-sufficient.

However, just been informed by INIS that all my bank accounts should be held jointly in both my name and my spouse's name. Is this correct? This can't be right. Surely as long I'm self-sufficient - and that I have enough money to cover my living expenses for me and my wife - that's acceptable. What difference does it make it my wife's name is on the accounts or not? Is this even a requirement?
There is nothing to say that this requirement is an obligation, at all. THe application form is silent on it. The CJEU is very liberal about where the source of finance comes from. Considering that ye are man and wife, it seems obvious that this is the account to be used. You have a legitimate complaint

It is advisable to open on so on the basis of proving that it is a real and genuine marriage, but this is not a basis for refusal.

However,

For the sake of getting on with things quickly, is it possible to get a joint account, and maybe joint health insurance (really good idea) . It is nonsense, but is there an objection to it?

These documents are all about you. Are YOU exercising your rights. Not her or what she does. Eg if she was working, but you were not, it would not matter a damn what she was doing, but what you, EU citizen, was doing. Look at Article 8 of the Directive, it lists the actual documents that the State can only ask for. Proving if she can get access to funds is irrelevant. So long as you prove she is the genuine wife and you meet the self sufficiency rule (which is liberal) you are sorted.

I know you are standing on principal, but for the sake of getting on with it, can you and will you comply with what is required?

walrusgumble
BANNED

Post by walrusgumble » Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:30 pm

adlexy wrote:
fatty patty wrote:
If that is their thinking, then that is a warped logic and a silly way to think.

I dont see the sense in the argument that a Dependant MUST have access to your account or be listed on a joint account to prove that they have access to the funds. It doesnt make sense and the framers of the Directive did not ask for joint accounts - for the same reason!

It is just one of the many "rules" that these guys come up with all the time through the back door to torment people with silly requests.

And then they will soon ask for PRTB with both names listed :)
These "rules" are provisions so that the State can be satisfied that they are actually living together as a couple. For many, yes, the PRTB issue is onerous, and a matter for the landlord, who may not have registered. But it is is, on paper a better proof than other proofs of living together, in a way. It is not a back door rule , as unreasonable as it might be. It is not overtly onerous requirement either.

As these requirements are publicly known prior to making the application, the State probably would be justified, in the eyes of the Commission to request them, in light of the Irish Concerns about certain marriages. (ook that is the only reason these documents are required, so don't go off on one, these documents have to be sought for everyone and not just the class of people who are suspected, as then you would be discriminating them from others.

The reason for access to the accounts, if you are saying you are self sufficient, is to ensure that you are self sufficient. (bearing in mind the rules in the Directive, which are not onerous)

The relevant section is Article 8 of the Directive

3. For the registration certificate to be issued, Member States may only require that
– Union citizens to whom point (a) of Article 7(1) applies present a valid identity card or
passport, a confirmation of engagement from the employer or a certificate of employment, or
proof that they are self-employed persons;
Union citizens to whom point (b) of Article 7(1) applies present a valid identity card or
passport and provide proof that they satisfy the conditions laid down therein;
– Union citizens to whom point (c) of Article 7(1) applies present a valid identity card or
passport, provide proof of enrolment at an accredited establishment and of comprehensive
sickness insurance cover and the declaration or equivalent means referred to in point (c) of
Article 7(1). Member States may not require this declaration to refer to any specific amount
of resources.
4. Member States may not lay down a fixed amount which they regard as "sufficient resources"
but they must take into account the personal situation of the person concerned. In all cases this
amount shall not be higher than the threshold below which nationals of the host Member State
become eligible for social assistance, or, where this criterion is not applicable, higher than the
minimum social security pension paid by the host Member State.

If you look further in Article 8.5e, in relation to couples coming over from another country and are not married (different I know), they require evidence of dependency while in their country of origin. That could only mean evidence of money transfers to them. (it is just an example)