ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Would claiming benefit affects naturalisation?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

roseleigh
Newly Registered

Would claiming benefit affects naturalisation?

Post by roseleigh » Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:17 pm

I am totally broke now. Currently in full-time education (access to HE), a very demanding course. I want to concentrate in studying now so I can get good grades in order to get in to a better university this autumn.

Can I claim benefits? I have ILR through spousal visa (I'm going through the divorce procedure right now but husband refused to pay maintenance despite the court orders him to). I cannot apply Child benefit since I do not have children.

I am worried if I applied benefits that it might affect the chance to get naturalisation in the future. Could anyone tell me if it is the case?

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by roseleigh on Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vinny

Post by vinny » Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:05 am

Should be okay.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

doubletrouble

Post by doubletrouble » Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:04 am

With an ILR did you have any reasons to believe you couldn't?

chocho

Post by chocho » Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:59 am

BC application not affected

roseleigh
Newly Registered

Post by roseleigh » Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:36 pm

Thanks for all answering my question.

But I still have a problem. I do not know what kind of benefits I can apply for. JSA is not suitable since I do not have the time and also not in the mood trying to find work due to studying and the stress caused from the divorce (still on going which needs me to prepare documents...). House benefit is a no since I own the flat (but cannot rent out a room since the bathroom hot water is broken and have no money to fix it).

What else benefit can I apply for?

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:58 pm

Check with your local Citizens Advice centre (CAB)

roseleigh
Newly Registered

Post by roseleigh » Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:05 pm

Checked with jobcentre. I cannot get any benefit. Since I never worked before, I cannot get one kind of benefit called contribution based.

Checked with council, since I am a full-time student, I cannot get house benefit except excemption from paying council tax.

So here is the list:
1. contribution based: no
2. Jobseeker's allowance: no, becasue I have to study.
3. Income support: no
4. House benefit: no
5. council tax: yes, but it is just one bill less to pay, I still need to pay housing, food and bills!

zheni

Post by zheni » Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:45 pm

The only thing that I can think of is to apply for a grant with Student Finance as you mentioned that you will be going to uni. I am assuming that having ILR you will be eligible for Student Finance and for the requirement to have been in the UK for 3yrs before the start of your course.
With the changes to the tuition fees perhaps there will be some changes to the grant's system as well. Apart from that I know that some (or maybe all) unis offer hardship grant and bursaries which are based again as the grant on means tests. On general information for Student Finance go to direct.gov

Apart from that I have no idea what benefits you could get.

SoHopeful

Post by SoHopeful » Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:10 pm

Unfortunately your only option is to work. I know what it's like juggling studies and employment, but it's the only way to meet your living costs.