ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Can my baby get a British passport - and is it worthwhile?!

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

leighsabine
Newly Registered

Can my baby get a British passport - and is it worthwhile?!

Post by leighsabine » Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:05 am

Hi,

I am a South African Passport holder, and my husband is dual SA/German. We have lived in London since 2003.

Our daughter (1) has a German Passport but I am wondering if she is eligible to get a British passport? She can't get it from me since I don't have ILR, but my husband has been exercising his treaty rights for 8 years. However he does not have British naturalisation nor a Permanent Residence stamp. Our daughter was born in London.

Would my daughter be able to apply for British passport via her dad's status? We are going to SA in March and would like to apply for her passport now..

Hope that all makes sense!

Thanks!
Last edited by leighsabine on Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vinny

Post by vinny » Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:36 am

When was your daughter born?
When did your husband start exercising his EEA treaty rights in the UK?
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

leighsabine
Newly Registered

Post by leighsabine » Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:11 pm

Daughter born January 2012
Husband started exercising rights in April 2003 (proof is letters of employment and P60's) however his 'blue' residence document is dated end of March 2006.

Thanks!

vinny

Post by vinny » Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:47 pm

Your daughter is automatically British, if your husband had PR when she was born in the UK.

As your husband did not get confirmation of his PR status prior to/at the time of her birth, it may be a good idea for your daughter to apply for confirmation of British nationality status, prior to applying for a British passport.

Moreover, you have probably acquired PR for at least a year too. You can probably naturalise now.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:31 pm

As vinny pointed out, your daughter is British from birth as at least one of her parents had PR before she was born. As a matter of fact both of you have PR status so she could claim her citizenship based on either of you.

Although she is already British regardless of having a passport or not, I suggest you apply for her British passport directly now as it would be easier to prove her claim now when the evidence is fresh than later on in life.

I would skip the application for confirmation of her nationality and just apply directly for passport. Pick up an application form from the Post Office, attach your husband passport + 5 P60's to cover 5 years before her birth. You should get the passport within 2-3 weeks.

vinny

Post by vinny » Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:15 pm

leighsabine
Newly Registered

Post by leighsabine » Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:08 pm

Thank you so much for your replies, really appreciate it.

We will be returning to SA in a few weeks time.
If my daughter gets her British Passport and I do not, and we later would like to return to the UK to live, would I be eligible to live and work here based on her passport status?

In my case, I am still getting different answers from the naturalisation people at the UKBA who are unsure if I can apply for my passport.

I received my EE2 status and a letter from the HO stating Family member status in March 2006, however we were only married in July 2009.
They are now saying the clock only starts ticking after the actual marriage, and my status prior to that doesn't count towards the 6 years! This is making me very nervous to apply for naturalisation and potentially lose a lot of money. I did not apply for PR as I was told I would receive it automatically after 5 years (March 2011).

Sorry for the ramble. Am bitterly regretting not getting the EEA4 last year and am unfortunately out of time to get it now due to our move.

Would you say it's worth the gamble?

Thanks!
Last edited by leighsabine on Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fysicus
Netherlands

Post by fysicus » Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:42 am

Normally I would have advised that you and your husband would apply for confirmation of PR first (EEA3/EEA4) and then sort out the British passport of your daughter. However, as you are planning to move to South Africa very soon that is now not practical.

As others already pointed out, you can straightaway apply for a British passport of your daughter, if you include the evidence that your husband is entitled to PR.

Another point that you raised, whether you could live in UK with your daughter but without your husband: there you have nothing to worry about. In fact, it would probably be easier based on European rules and your daughter's German passport, than under UK national rules relying on your daughter's British nationality.

boloney

Re: Can my baby get a British passport - and is it worthwhil

Post by boloney » Sat Jan 28, 2012 3:39 pm

leighsabine wrote:Hi,

We are moving back to SA in March and would like to apply for her passport now if that could potentially make it possible for me to move back to London with her later if SA doesn't work out.

Thanks!
Apply for PR confirmation, it will be valid for two years even if you Live abroad.
So if anything goes wrong in two years time you can move to the UK and Than after one year apply for naturalization.
I'm sure thats enough time to see where you wanna Live.

leighsabine
Newly Registered

Post by leighsabine » Sun Jan 29, 2012 2:06 pm

Thanks.

So basically, you think if I applied for Naturalisation now, I wouldn't get it?

reda
Member of Standing

Post by reda » Sun Jan 29, 2012 2:37 pm

Our daughter (1) has a German Passport but I am wondering if she is eligible to get a British passport?

be aware if you claim British citizenship for your daughter,she may lose her Germany citizenship(at my knowledge Germany don't recognised duel citizenship) then you can't fell under European rules(supposed you can't rely on your ex),and you have to follow only the UK national rules.
at my opinion apply for PR confirmation of your daughter and yours before apply for her citizenship.

leighsabine
Newly Registered

Post by leighsabine » Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:54 pm

Thanks, I will confirm with the German Embassy but I seem to recall they said dual nationality wouldn't be a problem.

I am more concerned at the moment with my own application for naturalisation, but I just can't seem to get a straight answer from anyone whether my 6 years (5 + 1 automatic PR) begins from the stamp date on my EEA2 visa or from the date of my marriage! :(

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Sun Jan 29, 2012 7:51 pm

reda wrote: be aware if you claim British citizenship for your daughter,she may lose her Germany citizenship(at my knowledge Germany don't recognised duel citizenship).
Germany does allow dual citizenship if it is obtained from birth which is the case here.
reda wrote:before apply for her citizenship.
Her daughter is British from birth. There is no need to apply for her citizenship.

leighsabine
Newly Registered

Update - Passport obtained after 2 days!

Post by leighsabine » Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:57 pm

Thank you for your advice, just to let you know I am so happy, my daughter received her British passport in the post today after a 2 day wait. (I used the fast track option since we will be travelling soon).

I submitted my husbands passport, his P60's and voila - no problem at all.

Now I hope I will have the same luck with my application since I'm applying on a similar basis - automatic PR as a family member of an EEA national.
My husband did not have a PR stamp or anything at all and it was no problem.

Also, since my daughter was born here, the German embassy had no problem with her being a dual national.

Thank you for the great advice!!

dasjoker

Re: Update - Passport obtained after 2 days!

Post by dasjoker » Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:01 pm

leighsabine wrote:Thank you for your advice, just to let you know I am so happy, my daughter received her British passport in the post today after a 2 day wait. (I used the fast track option since we will be travelling soon).

Now I hope I will have the same luck with my application since I'm applying on a similar basis - automatic PR as a family member of an EEA national.

Also, since my daughter was born here, the German embassy had no problem with her being a dual national.

Congratulations! If you wouldn't mind i have some question, my wife is german and she is been here 5 years. 3 years as student then 2 years as a worker. Do you think can we get our children british & german passport?

boloney

Re: Update - Passport obtained after 2 days!

Post by boloney » Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:26 pm

dasjoker wrote:
leighsabine wrote:Thank you for your advice, just to let you know I am so happy, my daughter received her British passport in the post today after a 2 day wait. (I used the fast track option since we will be travelling soon).

Congratulations! If you wouldn't mind i have some question, my wife is german and she is been here 5 years. 3 years as student then 2 years as a worker. Do you think can we get our children british & german passport?
Did she Have csi to cover 3 years when she was a student?
If yes and child was born in the uk after she completed 5 years in the uk apply for child British passport. If not, did she Have ehic card covering 3 years as a student?

leighsabine
Newly Registered

Post by leighsabine » Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:10 am

If your wife is German passport holder, then your children can also get a German passport by birthright.

oflondon

Post by oflondon » Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:59 am

You can apply for your baby's british passport now. My EEA spouse ( hungarian ) got the british passport for our baby last year without having a confirmation of permanent residence. 5 years p60's are needed and NO benefits received by either parent during the 5 year period till the birth of the baby.

vinny

Post by vinny » Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:01 am

leighsabine wrote:In my case, I am still getting different answers from the naturalisation people at the UKBA who are unsure if I can apply for my passport.

I received my EE2 status and a letter from the HO stating Family member status in March 2006, however we were only married in July 2009.
They are now saying the clock only starts ticking after the actual marriage, and my status prior to that doesn't count towards the 6 years! This is making me very nervous to apply for naturalisation and potentially lose a lot of money. I did not apply for PR as I was told I would receive it automatically after 5 years (March 2011).
7(3) already treats you as a family member when your EE2 status was confirmed. 8(5) continues to be satisfiable, regardless of marriage. Therefore, I don't think that marriage would reset your clock.

Carlosmiranda
Portugal

Post by Carlosmiranda » Sat Feb 08, 2014 6:56 pm

Hi. Can anyone help me plz . I am a portuguese and living and working in uk for around 8 years . I have 7months baby. Can I apply for my baby british passport plz ? But I don't have my all p60s . I only have last one or two . What can I use instead of p60 ? And I don't have my passport just have my ID card. Plz help me? Thanks

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Sat Feb 08, 2014 7:36 pm

Carlosmiranda wrote:Hi. Can anyone help me plz . I am a portuguese and living and working in uk for around 8 years . I have 7months baby. Can I apply for my baby british passport plz ? But I don't have my all p60s . I only have last one or two . What can I use instead of p60 ? And I don't have my passport just have my ID card. Plz help me? Thanks
Employment history from HMRC, letter from employer confirming employment. ID Card is enough.
Check the FAQ before posting!
Citizenship (adults, children, passport)
EEA (EEA FP, RC, PR, Surinder Singh)

Carlosmiranda
Portugal

Post by Carlosmiranda » Sat Feb 08, 2014 7:57 pm

Thanks a lot for ur help!

Carlosmiranda
Portugal

Post by Carlosmiranda » Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:19 pm

Hi. Sorry to bother u again. Plz can u tell where to get the form for baby's passport . And I want to ask u that since I m living in uk I never apply for PR . Will they ask me for my pr in uk first or it's ok without that?

Carlosmiranda
Portugal

Post by Carlosmiranda » Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:35 pm

Hi. And I also want to tell u that I was claiming job seekers allowance for some time . Wil it disqualify my application plz reply

Carlosmiranda
Portugal

Post by Carlosmiranda » Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:18 pm

Plz can anyone reply