ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

No fiancee visa required to marry in the UK

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

prittles
Newly Registered

No fiancee visa required to marry in the UK

Post by prittles » Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:53 am

I have just got off the phone to my local council and, when booking the appointment to register our intent to marry, they have informed me that my fiancee no longer needs to apply for a fiancee visa to marry in the UK.

I was told she simply needs a visa to visit the UK, however the need for a specific fiancee visa is no longer necessary. When I explained that I have been looking at the home office site about this, her response was simply "Maybe the site is out of date?"

I am still proceeding with getting all the relevant info together for my fiancee's application and we're still going to proceed with the fiancee visa route, however this is a bit of a surprise.

Has anyone else been told this or aware of similar messages from local councils?

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:12 pm

The registrar is confusing the removal of the Certificate of Approval to marry for those already in the UK. You still need to apply for a fiance visa and will be required to marry within 6 months. After the wedding you'll need to apply from within the UK for a spouse visa on form FLR(M).

midget
Newly Registered

Re: No fiancee visa required to marry in the UK

Post by midget » Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:11 pm

prittles wrote:
Has anyone else been told this or aware of similar messages from local councils?
Not exactly the same, but in a similar vein - my partner's sister is getting married to her fiancé in Scotland. He is Scottish, she is Australian.

They have no intention of living in the UK so don't need a fiancé visa, but they were also told by the council that they didn't need a marriage visit visa and they could get married on a normal visit visa. According to the UKBA site they need the marriage visit visa, so I'm not sure whether they should believe the council, but they are intending to just come on a normal visit visa.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:20 am

She needs a marriage visit visa. If the border immigration officer suspects that she intends to marry while in the UK they can refuse entry. It's not worth the risk.

midget
Newly Registered

Post by midget » Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:46 am

Thanks Casa, I will suggest she read the UKBA site again - unfortunately she doesn't seem to think they would be nasty at the border and would let her in anyway !