ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Your advice needed

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

karwan1

Your advice needed

Post by karwan1 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:28 am

Dear all,

I wonder if you could help me with this personal query, I am a british citizen, my wife is a Non-European citizen, she is living with me here in the UK based on spouse-visa. Now we both want to visit my brother-in-law, who is a danish citizen, and he is happy to provide accommodation and the reset of it, including an invitation letter. My question is, as a wife of a british citizen, who is going to travel with her husband (myself), does my wife need a Schengen Visa, checking the danish embassy's website is not very clear, I have to say I have not called them yet, thanks in advance.

pennylessinindia

Post by pennylessinindia » Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:18 am

you may find more help on EEA section .
In principle if you both travel together and show proof you are married You are free to travel in the EEA . If you look at the EEA section you will how this works for real !
there is also nothing to stop your spouse applying for free schengen visa to be on the safe side .
pennyless

ca.funke
Belgium

Re: Your advice needed

Post by ca.funke » Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:13 am

karwan1 wrote:...I am a british citizen, my wife is a Non-European citizen, she is living with me here in the UK based on spouse-visa...does my wife need a Schengen Visa...
Your question should be answered under Part 1) >>here<<.

Furthermore I recommend changing the title of your thread according to >>this<<.

Any questions, just ask.

Regards,
Christian

karwan1

Post by karwan1 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:16 pm

Thank you guys for these information.

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:50 pm

ca.funke wrote:
karwan1 wrote:...I am a british citizen, my wife is a Non-European citizen, she is living with me here in the UK based on spouse-visa...does my wife need a Schengen Visa...
Your question should be answered under Part 1) >>here<<.

Furthermore I recommend changing the title of your thread according to >>this<<.

Any questions, just ask.

Regards,
Christian
As his wife is holding visa under the UK immigration rules and not a EEA family member residence document, then it would be Part 2 in the guide that is relevant and not part 1.

ca.funke
Belgium

Post by ca.funke » Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:54 pm

Jambo wrote:As his wife is holding visa under the UK immigration rules and not a EEA family member residence document, then it would be Part 2 in the guide that is relevant and not part 1.
:oops: It would indeed be Part 2.

I just read "spouse-visa" and assumed "EEA". Thanks for correcting me!

BTW: Does anyone have an idea how to rename "Part 1" and "Part 2"? Sounds unbelievably bureaucratic, just as if "I" had turned into one of "them"... ;)

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:06 pm

How about:

1 => "EEA family member RC holder"

2 => "Other cases"

eldane
Mood:
Denmark

Post by eldane » Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:18 pm

karwan1 wrote:Dear all,

I wonder if you could help me with this personal query, I am a british citizen, my wife is a Non-European citizen, she is living with me here in the UK based on spouse-visa. Now we both want to visit my brother-in-law, who is a danish citizen, and he is happy to provide accommodation and the reset of it, including an invitation letter. My question is, as a wife of a british citizen, who is going to travel with her husband (myself), does my wife need a Schengen Visa, checking the danish embassy's website is not very clear, I have to say I have not called them yet, thanks in advance.
I think the Danish embassy's web site is VERY clear.

http://storbritannien.um.dk/en/travel-a ... nationals/

Holders of Residence Permit on the basis of being married to/partner of a UK national travelling with spouse/partner: visa required (free of charge).
Documentation required: Proof of family relationship with UK national (Original Marriage or Birth Certificate and passport of UK national (photocopies not accepted), family members other than spouse and children: proof of dependency on UK national or his/her spouse/partner.
Good intentions are appreciated but results are what matters..

ca.funke
Belgium

Post by ca.funke » Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:38 am

eldane wrote:I think the Danish embassy's web site is VERY clear.
[url=http://storbritannien.um.dk/en/travel-and-residence/short-stay-visas/family-members-of-eu-or-eea-nationals]Danish Embassy[/url] (found/quoted on 22 February 2012) wrote:Holders of Residence Permit on the basis of being married to/partner of a UK national travelling with spouse/partner: visa required (free of charge).
Documentation required: Proof of family relationship with UK national (Original Marriage or Birth Certificate and passport of UK national (photocopies not accepted), family members other than spouse and children: proof of dependency on UK national or his/her spouse/partner.
Where a Union citizen, or a family member who is not a national of a Member State, does not have the necessary travel documents or, if required, the necessary visas, the Member State concerned shall, before turning them back, give such persons every reasonable opportunity to obtain the necessary documents or have them brought to them within a reasonable period of time or to corroborate or prove by other means that they are covered by the right of free movement and residence.
    • In short:
      Family members cannot be required to apply for a visa...
      ...however, for the sake of relaxed travelling, it may be prudent to get a visa anyway.

See also >>here<< (start reading at the 2nd underlined heading, "EEA family member without Residence Card (Part 2)"