ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Any chance of obtaining ILR after 3 years discretionary?

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

unfair

Any chance of obtaining ILR after 3 years discretionary?

Post by unfair » Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:10 am

I am asking this question on behalf of my sister. Is it possible for one to gain indefinite leave to remain after 3 years discretionary leave to remain? I understand it is extended for another 3 years before you are eligible for ILR but under some circumstances you could be given ILR straightaway if you have been of exemplary character. I would appreciate your advice. Thanks

vinny

Post by vinny » Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:51 pm

Do you have examples of the circumstances?
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

unfair

Post by unfair » Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:01 pm

vinny wrote:Do you have examples of the circumstances?
Not really. I believe my sister is only relying on hearsay. However, are you able to tell me about the discretionary leave to remain process? That is, the route to ILR? Thanks

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Greenie » Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:40 pm

i have not known a person to be granted ILR after only 3 years DL, unless they apply for and qualify under the 10/14 year long residence categories. The policy states 6 years DL is required before a person can be eligible for settlement, and this is generally applied.

The process is that she applies for further discretionary leave no more than 28 days before her leave expires. Currently she would apply on form HPDL if she was granted DL following an unsuccesful asylum claim, and on form FLR(O) otherwise. This may change by the time she applies.