ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILR APPLICATION - CLAIMING CHILD BENEFITS.

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

MICKS

ILR APPLICATION - CLAIMING CHILD BENEFITS.

Post by MICKS » Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:31 pm

Hi All,

My wife and daughter are UK citizens. My daughter was born 3 years ago, and since her birth We have been claiming child benefits.

I am due for my ILR soon based on Tier 1, Will the fact child benefit is being claimed in both names effect my application ?

If so what can be done to rectify the situation ?

Thanks.

bob-russell

Re: ILR APPLICATION - CLAIMING CHILD BENEFITS.

Post by bob-russell » Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:50 pm

MICKS wrote:Hi All,

My wife and daughter are UK citizens. My daughter was born 3 years ago, and since her birth We have been claiming child benefits.

I am due for my ILR soon based on Tier 1, Will the fact child benefit is being claimed in both names effect my application ?

If so what can be done to rectify the situation ?

Thanks.
I am not experienced with the Tier system but have a bit of experience with the benefits side of things.

If your passport states no recourse to public funds then you cannot claim Child Benefit but your wife can. If it is in your name I would suggest you contact the HMRC Child Benefit Helpline and explain the mistake and get things transferred to your wife's name only. A genuine mistake, promptly corrected should not be a serious issue but explain on your application.

You will not have claimed money your family is not entitled to anyway as it is a universal benefit.

If you are claiming Child Tax Credits these have to be claimed as a couple anyway and will not affect your ILR application.

MICKS

Re: ILR APPLICATION - CLAIMING CHILD BENEFITS.

Post by MICKS » Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:59 pm

bob-russell wrote: ........ A genuine mistake, promptly corrected should not be a serious issue but explain on your application.

You will not have claimed money your family is not entitled to anyway as it is a universal benefit.

If you are claiming Child Tax Credits these have to be claimed as a couple anyway and will not affect your ILR application.
great suggestion....thanks bob....