ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

student to dependent

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

subramaniyam2006
Newly Registered

student to dependent

Post by subramaniyam2006 » Fri Oct 20, 2006 11:03 am

I am on a student visa at present and soon my wife will be joining me here in london. My visa expires in june 2007.

If I get her into a F/T course then can i change my status to dependent and then work full time..

Please advice..

adindas

Re: student to dependent

Post by adindas » Mon Oct 23, 2006 6:30 pm

Did you finish your course after you switch to dependant VISA by june 2007?.

Otherwise they might think that you have abused your student VISA and you will probably get a problem at the time you switch it to dependent VISA.

Adindas
subramaniyam2006 wrote:I am on a student visa at present and soon my wife will be joining me here in london. My visa expires in june 2007.

If I get her into a F/T course then can i change my status to dependent and then work full time..

Please advice..

costa

Post by costa » Mon Oct 23, 2006 8:52 pm

As far as I know, it doesn't matter you will soon complete your course or just start it. its ok to switch to dependent if your wife is going to study a degree course or above (the length of her course is supposed longer than yours). Also, when you want to switch your status from student to dependent, both you and your wife still need to show healthy bank statment to prove you two can live and study in the UK on your own.

olisun
Diamond Member

Post by olisun » Tue Oct 24, 2006 6:36 am

costa wrote:As far as I know, it doesn't matter you will soon complete your course or just start it. its ok to switch to dependent if your wife is going to study a degree course or above (the length of her course is supposed longer than yours). Also, when you want to switch your status from student to dependent, both you and your wife still need to show healthy bank statment to prove you two can live and study in the UK on your own.
So basically you are saying that the husband and/or wife can keep jumping courses with out finishing the previous one and keep switching their status in the UK?

subramaniyam2006
Newly Registered

Student to dependent

Post by subramaniyam2006 » Tue Oct 31, 2006 9:17 am

I have been on student for more than 5 years...and I do not intend to keep switching. This rule exists so I just thought why not enquire about it.

If they reject it then its my loss and if I succeed then at least I can work f/t and she can continue studying..

olisun
Diamond Member

Re: Student to dependent

Post by olisun » Tue Oct 31, 2006 1:44 pm

subramaniyam2006 wrote:I have been on student for more than 5 years...and I do not intend to keep switching. This rule exists so I just thought why not enquire about it.

If they reject it then its my loss and if I succeed then at least I can work f/t and she can continue studying..
That question was for costa

costa

Post by costa » Tue Oct 31, 2006 4:20 pm

Without further knowledge on OP and his wife, so I can only provide my limited comment. Hope its helpful.

I think the dependent can do full-time job is a kind of benefit, but not the purpose when you file an application for.

I had switched my student visa to dependent status in my original country with no problem. This was because
my wife (as a full-time student) have had longer time left than mine at that time.My application had been sent and done with no any problem.
I didn't even been to the British embassy for interview. Its just straightforward. Some of my friends also switch their status from student to dependent in the UK with no problem.

In theory, husband/wife can switch their status between student and dependent. However, in practice, this is not easily to be done because usually the degree you study can only allow advanced (non-degree course-> BSc->MSc->PhD). Any downgrade your current highest qualification will be easily doubted and accordingly to be rejected. Also, got a MSc and want to try another MSc will be examined to see if that is really necessary. In fact, sometimes, the more prestige and degree level for the education institutes, the less doubt the Home Office will be arisen. For example, a PhD student at Cambridge University versus private non-degree course will attract different attention from HO to be examined--although its not codified rule but surely will be bear in caseworker mind when deal the application .

Actually, for non-degree course, home office only allow two years to study in maximum and will be carefully examined whether the non-degree
course is genuine to study, or just an excuse to stay/work as much as he/she can.

I will say the higher degree (i.e. master, or even PhD) the wife currently study at, the less doubt that Home Office will arise.
Of course, healthy bank statement that proved both husband/wife can live in the UK on their own is a determinated factor as well.

If wife just study a non-degree course in the UK and bank statement is not quite good, either. Then husband's application for switching status from student to
dependent will easily arise some doubt whether this application is genuine or not.

Nevertheless, if the application is really genuine, then I think the applicant really don't have to worry it.

subramaniyam2006
Newly Registered

thanks

Post by subramaniyam2006 » Mon Nov 06, 2006 9:03 am

that was helpful...