ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

sexuality and naturalisation

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

yalacio
Newly Registered

sexuality and naturalisation

Post by yalacio » Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:53 am

Hi

I was granted ILR this week (long residency)

I am bisexual and back home there is very tough punishment ( death ) for homosexuality,
i left home country when i was 5, lived elsewhere in europe and then in uk for past 10 years, i am planning on settling in uk and havent been back home in past 18 years.

personally I keep my sexuality secret to myself (due to fear of being discriminated) very limited people know about it.

I am due to apply for British citizenship next year and my knowledge of immigration law is very limited, I would like to know if my sexuality makes any differences to my application?

Will it give me other route or options to apply?
I keep my sexuality secret due to fear of discrimination ( back home i keep it totally secret , in this county im less bothered),

should i mention anywhere on the applicaiton form ?
my plan is to continue as usual , apply for naturalisation in 2013, and keep my sexuality private.

Thanks

PaperPusher
Respected Guru

Re: sexuality and naturalisation

Post by PaperPusher » Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:24 am

yalacio wrote:Hi

I was granted ILR this week (long residency)

I am bisexual and back home there is very tough punishment ( death ) for homosexuality,
i left home country when i was 5, lived elsewhere in europe and then in uk for past 10 years, i am planning on settling in uk and havent been back home in past 18 years.

personally I keep my sexuality secret to myself (due to fear of being discriminated) very limited people know about it.

I am due to apply for British citizenship next year and my knowledge of immigration law is very limited, I would like to know if my sexuality makes any differences to my application?

Will it give me other route or options to apply?
I keep my sexuality secret due to fear of discrimination ( back home i keep it totally secret , in this county im less bothered),

should i mention anywhere on the applicaiton form ?
my plan is to continue as usual , apply for naturalisation in 2013, and keep my sexuality private.

Thanks
It would not be relevant at all in the normal run of things.

It may be relevant to application for asylum. It could be relevant to spouse and unmarried partner visas. It would be important if someone had lied about their sexuality in the past, for example to get asylum in the UK that they otherwise would not qualify for.

Look who is number two in this list!

http://www.stonewall.org.uk/at_work/sto ... efault.asp

yalacio
Newly Registered

Post by yalacio » Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:25 pm

I undrestand that uk law appreciates homosexuality, but Im not strong and brave enough to face society and some people around me, and make it public!

are you also telling me I am commiting crime or doing somehting wrong by hiding the fact that Im bi ???? this is taugh, i come from diffrent background and causes me all sort of issues and family/society issues if certain people find out!!

since its Irrelevant i shall keep it to myself
thanks for the advice

PaperPusher
Respected Guru

Post by PaperPusher » Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:06 pm

yalacio wrote:I undrestand that uk law appreciates homosexuality, but Im not strong and brave enough to face society and some people around me, and make it public!

are you also telling me I am commiting crime or doing somehting wrong by hiding the fact that Im bi ???? this is taugh, i come from diffrent background and causes me all sort of issues and family/society issues if certain people find out!!

since its Irrelevant i shall keep it to myself
thanks for the advice
Not saying you are doing anything wrong at all.

zheni

Post by zheni » Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:44 pm

You don't have to openly say what your sexual orientation is. This is completely private. As far as I know UKBA does not ask for such information but even if they did it will be optional to disclose it.

In fact if someone discriminates against you on the basis of your sexual orientation, it will be illegal.