ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

New 35K Salary Rule for Migrant Workers !!!!

Only for the UK Skilled Worker visas, formerly known as Tier 2 visa route

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Smam

New 35K Salary Rule for Migrant Workers !!!!

Post by Smam » Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:10 pm

Hi
Just have read this moment in the Sun on Sunday the new 35K Salary rule for new migrant workers is announced by Theresa May

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/ne ... unced.html

Please have a read through and kindly update with any other stuff as you come accross.

Many Thanks

nnj10

Post by nnj10 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:11 pm

Saw it coming....
Will have to wait and see, when it will be implemented, i.e. From this April or later in the year.

hsmpengineer
Mood:
Nigeria

Post by hsmpengineer » Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:35 pm

WONDERFUL!! How many more hoops must immigrants jump through after getting here..........

London_London
BANNED

Post by London_London » Sun Feb 26, 2012 4:11 pm

Will it applicable to everyone or whose applied after april,2011 according to consultation?

ITGraduate
Member of Standing
United Kingdom

More Trouble

Post by ITGraduate » Sun Feb 26, 2012 4:23 pm

I dont know how much more trouble do we have to go through until we get ILR. Please keep posted as and when you get more details regarding this!!

What will happen to people who apply for ILR in July. If they implement this rule from April 12 for everyone, people who were thinking 20K was enough are in deep deep trouble????

Regards

mayana

Post by mayana » Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:00 pm

This is the suituation immigrant find themselves in united kingdom, even those on ILR dont know their faith until they get the bristish citizenship or passport anything can happen..the best way out of this is;
- Preparation
- Planning
- Consultation with more experienced immigrant ( like those in this forum)
- keep up to date with UKBA information and
- Luck :lol:

Change is imminent and it usually comes into force in april of each year..

t0mmy

Post by t0mmy » Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:22 pm

This is bad. Going by past rule changes- this rule won't/shouldn't be applied to all applicants. But you never know. I have a feeling our time is up. Home sweet home.
Surely the rules in place of our visa/extension should be applied.
I have seen ppl saying these rules will be applied for visa applicants after april 2011. I got a tier 1 extension in september 2011. ILR due in dec 2012. Would these rules be applied to me going by the april 2011 assumption?

ban.s

Post by ban.s » Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:28 pm

t0mmy wrote:Would these rules be applied to me going by the april 2011 assumption?
Let's wait until the formal policy is published by UKBA. No one knows for sure how / when this will be implemented.

hsmpengineer
Mood:
Nigeria

Post by hsmpengineer » Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:34 pm

Methinks there will be a huge rise in marriages between Tier 1's and EU nationals. 1000% rise in SET (M) applications haha

t0mmy

Post by t0mmy » Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:21 pm

just wondering whether this rule will be applied for tier 1/ work permit holders or for applicants applying under the 10 year long residency as well?
the sun article clearly says about 5 year migrant visa holders... My 10 yr is gonna be next year.

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Greenie » Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:24 pm

t0mmy wrote:just wondering whether this rule will be applied for tier 1/ work permit holders or for applicants applying under the 10 year long residency as well?
the sun article clearly says about 5 year migrant visa holders... My 10 yr is gonna be next year.
Wait for a formal announcement by the ukba. The sun is not a reliable source of information for future changes to the immigration rules.

jager

Telegraph article

Post by jager » Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:26 pm

t0mmy

Post by t0mmy » Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:37 pm

they said formal announcement this week. Tense week coming up folks. fingers crossed!

arsenal49
Diamond Member

Post by arsenal49 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:20 pm

is this announcement only going to affect people applying for ILR on the basis of 5 year stay on work permit/tier1/tier2?

Those applying on basis of a 10-year rule.... is this announcement gonna concern them?

Thanks

Smam

No Clarifications Till Yet So Far for Old WP holders !!!!

Post by Smam » Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:20 pm

Hi
Thanks for all the replies folks

Well I dont really understand that how many just how many more new rules we have to go through before getting our ILR if we'll be lucky enough to have one

They are so vague in their definitions didn't mentioned any thing clearly that how this rule will be applied and is it going to valid for those who are applying for their ILR this year which clearly means that they have got their visas atleast five years back.

I dont understand why dont they just say that FULL STOP no more ILR once and for all.

My argument here is that when I got my WP there were no questions of any such rules and they havent mentioned this any where to me that they can change the rules any day any second according to their moods I would have long gone back.

I personally belive that this is well truely illegal from the government to change the rules every single second they should have to mention this to each and every applicant at the begining of making the application so that every one will have a much more clear idea. Briton is not the end of the world I believe.

Please kindly share any new updates what so ever you'll get many thanks.

mayana

Re: No Clarifications Till Yet So Far for Old WP holders !!!

Post by mayana » Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:54 pm

Smam wrote:Hi
Thanks for all the replies folks

Well I dont really understand that how many just how many more new rules we have to go through before getting our ILR if we'll be lucky enough to have one

They are so vague in their definitions didn't mentioned any thing clearly that how this rule will be applied and is it going to valid for those who are applying for their ILR this year which clearly means that they have got their visas atleast five years back.

I dont understand why dont they just say that FULL STOP no more ILR once and for all.

My argument here is that when I got my WP there were no questions of any such rules and they havent mentioned this any where to me that they can change the rules any day any second according to their moods I would have long gone back.

I personally belive that this is well truely illegal from the government to change the rules every single second they should have to mention this to each and every applicant at the begining of making the application so that every one will have a much more clear idea. Briton is not the end of the world I believe.

Please kindly share any new updates what so ever you'll get many thanks.
You are right but dont lets forget that the constitution of the United kingdon is ''unwritten'' it is flexible and can be changed without much problem.

settled_now

Post by settled_now » Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:53 pm

It's pretty hard to live in the UK on less than 35k - once you get that range you'll be quite aware of the cost of benefits to your net pay!

I'm sure you will be able to extend your leave until you get to that salary level.

At least it's possible to get ILR after 5 years.

In the US, the wait can easily be over 10 years!

Smam

Post by Smam » Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:44 am

settled_now wrote:It's pretty hard to live in the UK on less than 35k - once you get that range you'll be quite aware of the cost of benefits to your net pay!

I'm sure you will be able to extend your leave until you get to that salary level.

Hi
Well I really agree with you up to some extent but let me clarify you one thing that I have met many professionals living in the UK outside London and they dont really earn any thing near to 35K. Dont go far take the examples of all the foreign Nurses working in the NHS I don't really think so that they are at 35K per annum.

The other thing is that atleast in the US its straight forward business that you stay 10 years and that's it. You dont really have to worry about the fact that one morning you'll wake up in your 10th year of stay and the US government will say that oh we just woke up now and we want to change this rule from now on its going to be some thing stupid like this.

The other thing is that few days back I read a statement given by the Immigration Minister Damian Green saying that the salary threshold should be above 31K that wasn't long ago I believe only a month and now just this Sunday on the 26th Feb 2012 we are hearing some thing totaly different from the Home Seceretary Mrs May.

Let me tell you one thing you go to Canada they'll ask you to stay for a certain amount of time period and that's it you'll get the Nationality so does the New Zealand, Australia as well.

You go to the Middle east no matter you can live their for your live but they say to you clearly on your face that sorry you can live here as much as you like but we'll never ever give you the Nationality of any of the Middle Eastern countries which is straight forward and fair thing to every body.

So in the end I would like to summarise this in a way that just be straight forward that's all about it. No ifs and no buts.

Many thanks for your replies I hope that I am not offending any body here in my reply.

Please keep us updated if you heard any thing more usefull.

Many Thanks.

settled_now

Post by settled_now » Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:00 am

Smam wrote:take the examples of all the foreign Nurses working in the NHS I don't really think so that they are at 35K per annum.
There is a shortage in nursing. UKBA is stating that occupations where there are shortages, there will likely be exceptions. A truly functional immigration policy would allow that.

On the other hand, where no shortage exists - for example in IT, the minimum 35k doesn't even come close enough. If you are in IT and making less than 50k, you are undercutting the market.

A truly functional immigration policy would not allow any immigration where shortages do not exist. The UK government has a long way to go in protecting those already resident.

hsmpengineer
Mood:
Nigeria

Post by hsmpengineer » Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:41 am

Has shortages not always played a part in the immigration sieve? When i was on SEGS in 2004/05, the scheme was clearly put together to plug areas of shortages in skilled workers. This list of shortage area swas regularly updated in line with economic demand. What was the idea when the clueless govt scrapped the scheme and replaced it with the free for all IGS/PSW?

I think the govt is responsible for misleading this specific set of immigrants currently in the UK and turning around now attempting to cut them off like a cancer will be highly controversial to say the least.

More effort should be made at regulating "marriages" between EU and non EU nationals, maybe by making random checks after random intervals after the so called "marriages". How an individual who has been here for 23 months and may not have paid a bean to the exchequer in taxes can qualify for ILR and an immigrant working here for the last 5 yrs and earning £34,999 cannot qualify for the same is beyond ridiculous IMO

More effort should be made in dealing with illegals. More effort should be made in curtailing the benefits of EU nationals that have not lived here for maybe 5 years (this should reduce their numbers)and finally the most effort should be applied in effectively managing the aslyum situation.

I think enough has been done with regards to Tier 1 (Gen)/HSMP now capped at 1000 applicants per annum and the student visa situation is also in much better health.

Rant over!!

lokesh

Post by lokesh » Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:57 am

On the other hand, where no shortage exists - for example in IT, the minimum 35k doesn't even come close enough. If you are in IT and making less than 50k, you are undercutting the market.
Hi Settled_Now, it seems you have done a lots of research to say "less than 50K in IT sector is undercutting the market", can you please prove it?

I 'm in this industry for last 5years(in UK), i came across only fewer jobs advertised above 50K outside London, those jobs are either in Financial sector or for very experienced developers.

In my company i'm the highly paid non british worker in IT development(still fall below 50K), rest of my colleagues are well below your arbitray 50K, i am wondering if you provide more links to your statement it will be great helpful for everyone in this forum, otherwise please keep your arbitrary 50K just for yourself(sorry for being offensive to your reply, i just want to highlight it is better to be quieter than talking loads of rubbish with no logic).

[/quote]

barker

Post by barker » Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:05 pm

Greenie wrote: Wait for a formal announcement by the ukba. The sun is not a reliable source of information for future changes to the immigration rules.
I agree with Greenie on this. There is still nothing on the UKBA site to this effect and it is odd that no other mainstream paper or site seems to have anything to say on this matter.

The MAC report in November 2011 has stated that 2016 is the first year that any settlement rules will have a direct effect in. They also state that the routes under consideration would be Tier 1 Exceptional Talent and Tier 2 RMLT, Shortage occupation, Ministers of religion and sportspersons. So hopefully this will apply to people with an original application dated April 2011 or later.

Could I ask anyone who has seen anything that would seem to indicate that this would apply to people with EC prior to April 2011 to please highlight the source.

t0mmy

Post by t0mmy » Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:44 pm

Hope u r correct barker.
Otherwise like most ppl here I am bust.

settled_now

Post by settled_now » Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:00 pm

lokesh wrote: Hi Settled_Now, it seems you have done a lots of research to say "less than 50K in IT sector is undercutting the market", can you please prove it?
How about here:

http://www.itjobswatch.co.uk/

Those are average advertised salaries. I have never accepted a role at an advertised salary and know nobody who has. I don't see a single figure in the average advertised salaries under 35,000. Do you?

I know of nobody with any experience working for under 50K - 35k is for somebody with 1 or 2 years experience.

Does the UK really need ICT visa workers coming here and earning 24,000? If you're not making 50k after 5 years then let me suggest this is why. Probably many ICT visa workers sitting right around you.

Now, show me a shortage of IT workers and tell me why IT workers should come to this country and work for less than 35k when there clearly is no shortage?! :

http://www.workpermit.com/uk/tier-2-vis ... n-list.htm

And before you bother slagging me as anti-immigrant, remember - I AM AN IMMIGRANT!

quantum1
Member of Standing

Post by quantum1 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:27 pm

Smam wrote:
settled_now wrote:It's pretty hard to live in the UK on less than 35k - once you get that range you'll be quite aware of the cost of benefits to your net pay!

Hi
Well I really agree with you up to some extent but let me clarify you one thing that I have met many professionals living in the UK outside London and they dont really earn any thing near to 35K. Dont go far take the examples of all the foreign Nurses working in the NHS I don't really think so that they are at 35K per annum.

The other thing is that atleast in the US its straight forward business that you stay 10 years and that's it. You dont really have to worry about the fact that one morning you'll wake up in your 10th year of stay and the US government will say that oh we just woke up now and we want to change this rule from now on its going to be some thing stupid like this.

The other thing is that few days back I read a statement given by the Immigration Minister Damian Green saying that the salary threshold should be above 31K that wasn't long ago I believe only a month and now just this Sunday on the 26th Feb 2012 we are hearing some thing totaly different from the Home Seceretary Mrs May.

Let me tell you one thing you go to Canada they'll ask you to stay for a certain amount of time period and that's it you'll get the Nationality so does the New Zealand, Australia as well.

You go to the Middle east no matter you can live their for your live but they say to you clearly on your face that sorry you can live here as much as you like but we'll never ever give you the Nationality of any of the Middle Eastern countries which is straight forward and fair thing to every body.

So in the end I would like to summarise this in a way that just be straight forward that's all about it. No ifs and no buts.

Many thanks for your replies I hope that I am not offending any body here in my reply.

Please keep us updated if you heard any thing more usefull.

Many Thanks.
I think you misunderstood what Mr Green said. They said they would set the threshold above 31K, not at 31K. This is consistent with what they have been saying of a threshold between 31 and 41K. With the threshold being 35K.