ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Tier 1 general extension - shortage of total earnings

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

gprabhu
Newly Registered

Tier 1 general extension - shortage of total earnings

Post by gprabhu » Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:11 pm

Hi friends,

I need to go for Tier 1 General extension in Sept 2012.
I am working as a permanent employee. But unfortunately I need extra 1.5K for my total earning to qualify.

I am thinking of the following options to fill the 1.5K gap.
Please suggest me better options.

As I am already working as a permanent employee, can I register myself as self employed also?

- Help seeker
Last edited by gprabhu on Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Vega

Post by Vega » Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:06 pm

1a - You risk going to jail.

2a - Both of you risk going to jail.

3 - You risk getting fired from your current job.

thebionicredneck2003
Member of Standing

Post by thebionicredneck2003 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:54 pm

Hi,

Why don't you just get a second job that you can do at night or over the weekends?

Making £1,500 before September should be pretty easy by doing a second job.

Kind Regards

superman008
Newly Registered

Post by superman008 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:13 pm

Speak with your employer about getting your pay increased for the purposes of visa or get an early bonus from employer. Both of these methods require the employer to be very understanding of your situation.

Despite having a low success rate historically, might be worth a try before you go out looking for a 2nd job!

superman008
Newly Registered

Post by superman008 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:15 pm

Vega wrote:1a - You risk going to jail.

Bollox!! if you don't have anything constructive to add it's best to keep quiet!

gprabhu
Newly Registered

Post by gprabhu » Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:18 pm

superman008 wrote:

Bollox!! if you don't have anything constructive to add it's best to keep quiet!
Thanks Superman..even I hurt by that reply..

gprabhu
Newly Registered

Post by gprabhu » Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:20 pm

superman008 wrote:Speak with your employer about getting your pay increased for the purposes of visa or get an early bonus from employer. Both of these methods require the employer to be very understanding of your situation.

Despite having a low success rate historically, might be worth a try before you go out looking for a 2nd job!
Hi friend, I have tried this as my first approach..But I have recently joined and bonus and hike both are not possible.
I will try finding some parttime job but I was talking about the worst case options above.

Vega

Post by Vega » Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:24 pm

gprabhu wrote:
superman008 wrote:

Thanks Superman..even I hurt by that reply..
Prabhu, what you are trying is to "make up" the earnings with help from your friends. Do you truly think that will fly with the authorities (if they found out)? Harsh as it may sound, what you talk of doing does have a risk to it - but the risk is yours to take.

Just do what someone else has suggested, take up extra work and actually earn the extra money.

Good luck.

nolada

Post by nolada » Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:05 am

i will answer gprabhu first then answer VEGA,

to gprabhu:
all your ideas r fantastic but remmber u will pay tax on any money u earn away from employer, i do belive you should register as a self employed to earn any money and pay tax, once u register as a self employed u r free to do any thing brings u money doesn't matter what and u can keep ur current full time job (if u want to). keep all ur paperwork, money in/out etc safe but by september u will need an accountant to gives u an official letter as a prove of your self-employment income

to vega
You can be employed and self-employed at the same time and its known every where search about it on direct.gov or hmrc website and the other answers is no one willend up in jail coz what gprabhu said is very legal and all good ideas.

gprabhu
Newly Registered

Post by gprabhu » Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:26 pm

nolada wrote:i will answer gprabhu first then answer VEGA,

to gprabhu:
all your ideas r fantastic but remmber u will pay tax on any money u earn away from employer, i do belive you should register as a self employed to earn any money and pay tax, once u register as a self employed u r free to do any thing brings u money doesn't matter what and u can keep ur current full time job (if u want to). keep all ur paperwork, money in/out etc safe but by september u will need an accountant to gives u an official letter as a prove of your self-employment income

to vega
You can be employed and self-employed at the same time and its known every where search about it on direct.gov or hmrc website and the other answers is no one willend up in jail coz what gprabhu said is very legal and all good ideas.
Thanks nolada, your amswers really relieved me.

katwmn6

Post by katwmn6 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:18 pm

Hi gprabhu,

As others have mentioned you can work as self-employed to make extra income, but please note the burden of proof for self-employed earnings is different than earnings from salaried employment.

More information is available on pages 17-24 of the Tier 1 (General) Policy Guidance. I would advise carefully reading the guidance first so you're in the best possible position to prove your self-employed income when you apply.

Best of luck!