ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Promotion

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

neilroy

Promotion

Post by neilroy » Tue Oct 31, 2006 10:33 am

Hello,
One of my friend is getting promtion form senior engineer to Project Manager. Does this require a new work permit to be done?
Regards

olisun
Diamond Member

Re: Promotion

Post by olisun » Tue Oct 31, 2006 1:46 pm

neilroy wrote:Hello,
One of my friend is getting promtion form senior engineer to Project Manager. Does this require a new work permit to be done?
Regards
if it's within the same company, then NO

neilroy

Post by neilroy » Tue Oct 31, 2006 1:56 pm

Yes it is within the same company. Thanks

rooi_ding

Post by rooi_ding » Tue Oct 31, 2006 2:59 pm

You might want to read this first before assuming he is in the clear, point 119.

http://www.workingintheuk.gov.uk/workin ... /BC_A4.pdf

olisun
Diamond Member

Post by olisun » Tue Oct 31, 2006 10:31 pm

There is a difference between changing jobs and getting promoted...

My understanding is if sales executive wants to be a software developer then it's a change of job

And if a software developer gets promoted to a Technical Architect, then that's a promotion in the same job.

rooi_ding

Post by rooi_ding » Wed Nov 01, 2006 9:37 am

Okay so I was hoping that possible somebody would read the whole thing the heading does say "Change of employment applications" so read from point 119 to 130 especially point 120

Dawie
Diamond Member

Post by Dawie » Wed Nov 01, 2006 1:02 pm

It is absolutely clear from this document that ANY change in duties or responsibilities regardless whether or not through promotion requires a new work permit and, according the guidance notes, might even require the employer to do a new search of the resident labour market.

Olisun, your logic is a bit strange. If a software developer becomes a technical architect then that is quite clearly a different job. Software developers do not have the same duties and responsibilities as a technical architect. And in any case some people would regard moving from being a software developer to a technical architect as a demotion not a promotion!

I would say very definitely that Neilroy's friend will require a new work permit.
In a few years time we'll look back on immigration control like we look back on American prohibition in the thirties - futile and counter-productive.

olisun
Diamond Member

Post by olisun » Wed Nov 01, 2006 1:45 pm

Dawie wrote: Olisun, your logic is a bit strange. If a software developer becomes a technical architect then that is quite clearly a different job.
A Technical Architect can be a developer as well
Dawie wrote: Software developers do not have the same duties and responsibilities as a technical architect.
Not necessarily
Dawie wrote: And in any case some people would regard moving from being a software developer to a technical architect as a demotion not a promotion!
I can bet you not one software developer in this world will consider it as a demotion.

olisun
Diamond Member

Post by olisun » Wed Nov 01, 2006 1:46 pm

Dawie wrote: Olisun, your logic is a bit strange. If a software developer becomes a technical architect then that is quite clearly a different job.
Dawie wrote: Software developers do not have the same duties and responsibilities as a technical architect.
Not necessarily
Dawie wrote: And in any case some people would regard moving from being a software developer to a technical architect as a demotion not a promotion!
I can bet you not one software developer in this world will consider it as a demotion.

olisun
Diamond Member

Post by olisun » Wed Nov 01, 2006 1:46 pm

Not necessarily

olisun
Diamond Member

Post by olisun » Wed Nov 01, 2006 1:49 pm

there's something with this forum...

It's slow

I get a error message that I have posted a few seconds back even though it's my first

My post gets repeated 3 times automatically

olisun
Diamond Member

Post by olisun » Wed Nov 01, 2006 1:52 pm

there's something with this forum...

It's slow

I get a error message that I have posted a few seconds back even though it's my first

My post gets repeated 3 times automatically

Dawie
Diamond Member

Post by Dawie » Wed Nov 01, 2006 4:33 pm

Yes, can be, but not necessarily. I've met many technical architects who can't write a line of code.
Perhaps demotion is too strong a word. I am a software developer myself and I certainly wouldn't consider becoming a technical architect a promotion. They are 2 entirely separate jobs.

Certainly in the case of senior engineer to project manager there is a huge distinction between the 2 jobs. One does not have be an engineer to be a project manager. I think you would find it quite difficult to argue that the 2 jobs are so similar as to not warrant the need for another work permit. It doesn't matter for work permit purposes whether or not the new job means you will still be working for the same company, sitting at the same desk and eating your lunch in front of the same computer. If the duties and responsibilities change then the work permit has to change!
In a few years time we'll look back on immigration control like we look back on American prohibition in the thirties - futile and counter-productive.

neilroy

Post by neilroy » Thu Nov 02, 2006 9:10 am

Thank you very much for all this information. I have forwarded the PDF to my friend. Even if gets a new work permit does that means he has to get new visa's as well. The reason i amasking is because his family is in India at the moment and they came to UK under the old workpermit related visa...what he is thinking if he requires a new permit then he will get his family over here first and then apply for it...Is this feasible?