ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILR after 29 Feb 2012, need to enrol biometric data again?

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

tumbi
Newly Registered

ILR after 29 Feb 2012, need to enrol biometric data again?

Post by tumbi » Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:27 pm

Hi,

I am applying for ILR in person at Croydon PEO after 29 FEB 2012. I have already been issued with biometric residence permit along with my previous Tier 1 extension in OCT 2011.

Do I need to enrol my biometrics again with ILR application?

Thanks.

atukflrn

Post by atukflrn » Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:02 pm

Yes. Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) is now a mandatory feature of all the ILR applications (effective 29-FEB-2012) both for Postal and PEO routes.

Check out the newly published forms and guidance at:

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... ement/seto

tumbi
Newly Registered

Post by tumbi » Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:16 pm

OK. It doesn't sound logical to enrol the same biometric data again when one has enrolled it earlier.

They have not written anything whatsoever to inform those having already enrolled biometric in earlier applications and now considering applying to ILR.

The SET (O) form itself asks details of biometric cards already issued if any.

atukflrn

Post by atukflrn » Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:25 pm

UKBA......and.....being logical.:?:

Nothing UKBA does fits well into the logical framework. You know what I mean....

linkers
Respected Guru

Post by linkers » Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:56 pm

The logic behind enrolling your biometrics at the time of every application is to verify that you are still the same person.

tumbi
Newly Registered

Post by tumbi » Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:34 pm

http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewtopic.php?t=92493

Q - I provided biometric information when I applied for leave to remain the last time. Do I need to do so again?

A - Yes, you have to give biometrics each time you make an application for which biometrics is a required, regardless of whether you have given them before.

quantum1
Member of Standing

Post by quantum1 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:56 pm

tumbi wrote:OK. It doesn't sound logical to enrol the same biometric data again when one has enrolled it earlier.

They have not written anything whatsoever to inform those having already enrolled biometric in earlier applications and now considering applying to ILR.

To be fair, the home office anounced this some time ago. It's not practical to write everyone so its your responsibility to keep up with the new regulations. If you visit the website regularly you will not be caught unawares.

I also agree that they need to take biometrics on each application otherwise how do they verify the person's identity each time they apply. I could steal your passport and get extension using your name!

tumbi
Newly Registered

Post by tumbi » Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:22 pm

quantum1 wrote:
tumbi wrote:OK. It doesn't sound logical to enrol the same biometric data again when one has enrolled it earlier.

To be fair, the home office anounced this some time ago. It's not practical to write everyone so its your responsibility to keep up with the new regulations. If you visit the website regularly you will not be caught unawares.

I also agree that they need to take biometrics on each application otherwise how do they verify the person's identity each time they apply. I could steal your passport and get extension using your name!
Sorry I don't mean or expect HO to contact each applicant from historic data via post or something to inform them, which is not practical.

I was talking about the news http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... nts/60-brp And also the updated guidance notes for SET O form from 29-FEB-2012.

Does it take a lot of effort for HO to write, "Applicants having already enrolled their biometric need to do this again for ILR"? Compare that with the premium price each applicant pays with the application.

How they use fingerprints is not clear, to verify identity or to check with other DBs?. So I can very well say that the biometrics (esp finger prints) were taken to verify against a criminal db; now they have your fingerprints, they can run the scan again to check if there are any fresh crimes with your fingerprints, each time you apply to them. That doesn't require taking fingerprints again, which don't change for lifetime. Regarding the photo, appearance can be significantly changed even after getting so called BRP.

Why confuse people by saying "biometric enrolment", just say "biometric verification" for the sake of simplicity.