ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Is what the immigration expert told me correct?

Questions and discussions about claiming benefits while living and working in the UK

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

John_Stevens20
Newly Registered

Is what the immigration expert told me correct?

Post by John_Stevens20 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:48 am

I am from the UK and my wife is American. We got married two years ago in America and have been living in America since. We are planning on moving indefinitely to the UK soon. I have always understood that if we have been living together outside the UK for less than four years then when we move to the UK my wife would not be entitled to any Government benefits in the UK for two years, but I asked this question to a guy who's an expert on Immigration and Government benefits in the UK, and he said that my wife would be entitled to Government benefits immediately upon entry to the UK, regardless of how long she and I have lived together outside the UK. Is what he told me correct?

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Greenie » Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:22 am

She will have no recourse to public funds so will not be able to claim most state benefits. Sounds like he's not much of an expert.

mochyn
Diamond Member

Re: Is what the immigration expert told me correct?

Post by mochyn » Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:41 am

John_Stevens20 wrote:I am from the UK and my wife is American. We got married two years ago in America and have been living in America since. We are planning on moving indefinitely to the UK soon. I have always understood that if we have been living together outside the UK for less than four years then when we move to the UK my wife would not be entitled to any Government benefits in the UK for two years, but I asked this question to a guy who's an expert on Immigration and Government benefits in the UK, and he said that my wife would be entitled to Government benefits immediately upon entry to the UK, regardless of how long she and I have lived together outside the UK. Is what he told me correct?
Sounds like a big misunderstanding here but many people claim to be experts when they are not.
You are right in your thinking and your so called expert is wrong as Greenie has said