ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

American marrying British citizen - will I be interviewed?

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

ali2011
Newly Registered

American marrying British citizen - will I be interviewed?

Post by ali2011 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:30 pm

Hello,

I've been searching for an answer to this on here and haven't been able to find it, though I apologise if I've missed it.

I've been living in the UK for 5 years. I came over on a Student Visa, did my 3-year BA degree course in Cornwall, graduated in 2010 and switched to a Post-Study Work Visa.

I have been dating my fiance' for nearly 4 years, and we're getting married in Scotland in May. My current PSW visa doesn't run out til October, at which time I'll be applying for the Spousal visa.

We're all organised with the local registrar for the wedding, and as I've been here over 5 years, all they require from me is to view my passport and birth certificate and said that's fine.

A friend of the family though keeps telling me I need to be worried about us being interviewed. She's convinced that we will be asked to be interviewed before the wedding. Is this true?

Or is there a great chance we will be interviewed after I apply to change my visa? I'm not terribly worried as we've known each other for nearly 5 years now, and we've been living together for over 2 years, it's all very straightforward, etc. So if they do interview us, I don't think we could be in a better position.

However, I can't find any info on the UKBA website about interviews for Spousal visas. Can anyone fill me in?

Thank you!

Lucapooka
Respected Guru

Post by Lucapooka » Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:43 pm

The marriage is not an immigration issue so being interviewed by immigration officers before the marriage will not happen. For a civil marriage the registrar may request an interview but it's highly unlikely. A church wedding may involve an interview (or meeting) with the vicar but that, again, is not an immigration issue. If and when you apply for settlement on the basis of the marriage, you will not be called for interview either.

ali2011
Newly Registered

Post by ali2011 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:36 pm

Thanks for your reply, Lucapooka.

We're have a church wedding, and we already know the vicar as it's my partner's mum's church. Thanks for clearing up whether the marriage is related to immigration issues. I didn't think so, but it's nice to hear from someone else.

I'm surprised (pleasantly) to hear you say that we wouldn't be called for an interview either, when I apply for ILR. As I said, I'll be applying for a spousal visa (moving over from my PSW visa) in September/October, and haven't found a thing about face-to-face interviews.

Am kind of thinking this is a nosy family friend trying to be a negative nancy, to be honest...

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:29 am

Bear in mind that when you switch to Spouse, this will be on for Further Leave to Remain on form FLR(M)....not ILR.

ali2011
Newly Registered

Post by ali2011 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:24 am

Sorry, yes, that's what I meant. Cheers!