ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Adult Dependant - Reverse Discrimination Directive 38

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Rip v Winkle
Newly Registered

Adult Dependant - Reverse Discrimination Directive 38

Post by Rip v Winkle » Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:58 pm

Ref Report Saturday's Irish Times
http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ire ... 74191.html

It seems to me from Justice Cooke's ruling (and Justice Hogan and before that Justice Edwards (Moylan Case)) that the Irish Constitution offers protection of family rights at least equal to that available under Article 8 ECHR. I can't see how there can be a question of "reverse discrimination" on this issue.

Any Comments??

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:32 pm

This is a very positive judgement, which i am sure everyone on this forum will welcome.

I was about to do a topic on this judgement over last weekend but was too occupied.

It was well explained on this blog High Court finds in favour of Irish citizen married couple fighting for a right of residence in the State for their dependant parents

It was not a ruling under Directive 2004/38EC, as the heading of your post might suggest, but rather under Article 41 of Irish constitution.

It shows Irish law can be humane indeed, if interpreted according to it letter and spirit.

I wish the family all the best.
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors

fatty patty

Post by fatty patty » Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:04 pm

This is long time coming and good one. I am a bit surprised that it was Justice Cook who gave that ruling (as he is considered to be a wee bit pro DoJ). Hope it don't get taken to the Supreme Court by DoJ (although don't see a reason why) as it might according to their interpretation open floodgates.

Rip v Winkle
Newly Registered

Post by Rip v Winkle » Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:18 pm

It was not a ruling under Directive 2004/38EC, as the heading of your post might suggest, but rather under Article 41 of Irish constitution.
I thought that the "reverse discrimination" situation arose from the statutory instrument transposing directive 38 into the Irish system. This appeared to create a situation where "freedom of movement entitled" families would be somewhat favoured when compared to Irish citizens. Perhaps I am mistaken .. I'm not a lawyer. My point is that if article 41 grants equal or superior protection, it is hard to see how the Statutory Instrument could itself be discriminatory. It simply sets out how directive 38 is implemented.

Anyway, as an Irish citizen I would be horrified to think that "equality before the law" together with "charity and justice" were being routinely ignored in pursuit of vague and, frankly, unjustifiable concerns.

walrusgumble
BANNED

Post by walrusgumble » Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:29 pm

Rip v Winkle wrote:
I thought that the "reverse discrimination" situation arose from the statutory instrument transposing directive 38 into the Irish system. This appeared to create a situation where "freedom of movement entitled" families would be somewhat favoured when compared to Irish citizens. Perhaps I am mistaken .. I'm not a lawyer. My point is that if article 41 grants equal or superior protection, it is hard to see how the Statutory Instrument could itself be discriminatory. It simply sets out how directive 38 is implemented.
It was EU law principle, (and not the Irish transposing of the Directive - the principle has always being around, the Directive updates the specifics and unifies all the previous directives and regulations, which some new stuff) and its comparison with normal Irish immigration law, that attracted arguments of reverse discrimination, which has, for now, being rejected by Europe. The Statute itself was challenged for other reasons (where the State itself in Metock, had argued oh, this is reverse discrimination - the ECJ said no, Irish policy was Irish problem)
Rip v Winkle wrote: Anyway, as an Irish citizen I would be horrified to think that "equality before the law" together with "charity and justice" were being routinely ignored in pursuit of vague and, frankly, unjustifiable concerns.

THose terms, "equality before the law" together with "charity and justice"
have always being ignored and lip service given. Article 40.1 is one of the weakest, less successfully cited provisions in the Constitution (the test is very very hard) - You doubt me, read Oran Doyle's books on it - any decent library will have them.

Charity and Justice in the preamble, meh (one of the most vaguest terms around along with other natural law terms - again, see Doyle or even Hogan's works) , gets ignored , especially if a conflicting interest is more important.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This judgment, which was started by Hogan, is unique and I don't it will apply to every case. The circumstances were significant

More over, the State lost because there was no Real Constitutional consideration of the case in the first place. I strongly assume the State used the Lobe 2003 line of caselaw as a copy and paste (numerous other cases involving other members of the family in 2007 with Dunne J and Birmingham J) which is inappropriate without proper consideration of the facts of a case - Even Dimbo 2008 warned the Department about this

Being Judicial Review, and the deference that does be given, if the State had considered, in full the Constitutional rights, and relate them to this unique factual case, and came out with a decision in their favour, the circumstances might have being different in Court - they would, I accept, in light of this case, have a very difficult case to justify why the immigration system must prevail.

It greatly helped that there was no family in the country of origin, and it was proven that not only was the country no safe, but also, more significant, that the parents actually had problems of safety.

The Irish families commitments in Ireland would have saved them from the ECHR Article 8 test of insurmountable obstacles (to go elsewhere)

I don't think there will be many more cases like this , for a while, because, if they have money, and are well to do, I think Shatter, being an actual family law expert unlike Ahern and others, will quietly grant status.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

By the way, Hogan wrote some great articles on why Ireland did not really need the ECHR and the Constitution was fine in or around 2003. You might get some via googling