ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Settlement pay threshold to be applicable from April-16

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

push
United Kingdom

Settlement pay threshold to be applicable from April-16

Post by push » Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:21 am

Written Ministerial Statement:
We will apply the new settlement pay threshold to Tier 2 migrants applying for settlement from April 2016. To provide certainty for migrants and employers, we will hold the threshold at £35,000 until April 2018. We will confirm the threshold for 2018-19 next year and review it annually thereafter.
regards,
push
Important: Please read this Disclaimer

push
United Kingdom

Post by push » Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:41 am

With the exception of the Tier 2 settlement rules changes, the rules changes laid in mid- March will apply to those submitting applications on or after 6 April 2012. As previously notified, the new Tier 2 settlement rules will affect those who entered the Points Based System under the rules in force from 6 April 2011 and who will be eligible to apply for settlement from April 2016. Further details are provided in the Statement of Intent.
regards,
push

navodwickra

Post by navodwickra » Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:42 am

push wrote:
With the exception of the Tier 2 settlement rules changes, the rules changes laid in mid- March will apply to those submitting applications on or after 6 April 2012. As previously notified, the new Tier 2 settlement rules will affect those who entered the Points Based System under the rules in force from 6 April 2011 and who will be eligible to apply for settlement from April 2016. Further details are provided in the Statement of Intent.
Thank you very much push. thank you!

push
United Kingdom

Post by push » Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:43 am

Found the following a bit confusing though:
Tier 2 is intended to provide a solution to temporary skills gaps in the domestic labour market. So in future, temporary leave as a skilled worker will be limited to a maximum stay of six years and Tier 2 migrants who leave the UK will need to wait 12 months after the expiry of their leave before they may reapply to return under Tier 2. At a time of high unemployment, we owe it to British workers to ensure that our migration system does not perpetuate reliance on migrant labour.
probably more changes on the way, but let's wait and see what the detailed Statement of Intent on the HO/UKBA website says.
regards,
push

barker

Post by barker » Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:47 am

push wrote:Found the following a bit confusing though:
Tier 2 is intended to provide a solution to temporary skills gaps in the domestic labour market. So in future, temporary leave as a skilled worker will be limited to a maximum stay of six years and Tier 2 migrants who leave the UK will need to wait 12 months after the expiry of their leave before they may reapply to return under Tier 2. At a time of high unemployment, we owe it to British workers to ensure that our migration system does not perpetuate reliance on migrant labour.
probably more changes on the way, but let's wait and see what the detailed Statement of Intent on the HO/UKBA website says.
I think this has to do with breaking the link between employment and settlement. This would take away the right for someone on a WP to apply for settlement alltogether as leave would be restricted to a maximum of 6 years. The 12 month break would ensure the clock is restarted for a 10 / 14 year application every time they leave the UK.

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Greenie » Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:49 am

barker wrote:
push wrote:Found the following a bit confusing though:
I think this has to do with breaking the link between employment and settlement. This would take away the right for someone on a WP to apply for settlement alltogether as leave would be restricted to a maximum of 6 years. The 12 month break would ensure the clock is restarted for a 10 / 14 year application every time they leave the UK.
it has nothing to do with people on work permits (a closed category) it is about tier 2.

barker

Post by barker » Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:50 am

Sorry, my error. I meant Tier 2

Would you agree with the rest of what i said?

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Greenie » Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:08 pm

barker wrote:Sorry, my error. I meant Tier 2

Would you agree with the rest of what i said?
not completely - obviously there will be provision for tier 2 migrants to apply for settlement if they meet the minimum 35k threshold (or higher if required in the code of practice), or if they fall within the 'Phd' level exception. I agree that the limit of 6 years will make it harder for a tier 2 migrant to qualify under the 10 year rule in the future, but this presumes that they have not already been here for 4 years prior to switching to tier 2 (e.g. student- psw - tier 2), and also that they won't be able to switch into another category. But yes, basically, if a tier 2 migrants does not qualify for settlement under tier 2, the fact that they can only stay here for 6 years at at time under tier 2 will make it harder to qualify under the long residence categories but not impossible.

niruv

Post by niruv » Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:33 pm

So it is clear that Tier 1 applicants going for ILR will need NOT have to show 35K earnings.
Page 2
We intend to leave the settlement rules for Tier 1 migrants unchanged. These
arrangements, for investors, entrepreneurs and those of exceptional talent, were put in
place as recently as 2011 and are consistent with welcoming the high value individuals the
UK needs to drive economic growth.

Thanks,
Niruv

doc44
- thin ice -

maintenance funds for dependants under new rule

Post by doc44 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:19 pm

Hi,

Need some advice, very worried. I am quite stressful after the arrival of these new rules.
I am maintaining funds in UK for my deendants (2) from 6 jan 2012 so that they could apply dependant visa in April 2012 from outside UK.

Just come to know that from April 2012, maintenance fund will rise to 600 pounds for each dependant. I was maintaining mine under the old rule that was 533 pounds for each dependant so was maintaining 1100 pounds for 2 dependants from 6th of January 2012.

I am very stressed out now. Any one knows if there will be any grace period? Will this rule affect all the application from April or from July (three months after April). I will appreciate your advice. Many thanks.

saayinla

Re: maintenance funds for dependants under new rule

Post by saayinla » Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:56 pm

doc44 wrote:Hi,

Need some advice, very worried. I am quite stressful after the arrival of these new rules.
I am maintaining funds in UK for my deendants (2) from 6 jan 2012 so that they could apply dependant visa in April 2012 from outside UK.

Just come to know that from April 2012, maintenance fund will rise to 600 pounds for each dependant. I was maintaining mine under the old rule that was 533 pounds for each dependant so was maintaining 1100 pounds for 2 dependants from 6th of January 2012.

I am very stressed out now. Any one knows if there will be any grace period? Will this rule affect all the application from April or from July (three months after April). I will appreciate your advice. Many thanks.
Is there a chance you can provide a link to where it says the maintenance fund will be increased?

Thanks in advance.

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Greenie » Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:59 pm

saayinla

Post by saayinla » Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:00 pm

Never mind I found it, Thanks.

saayinla

Post by saayinla » Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:01 pm

Greenie wrote:Statement of Intent
Thanks Greenie.