ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Giving notice for a marrige

Archived UK Tier 1 (Post-Study Work) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

essexb
Newly Registered

Giving notice for a marrige

Post by essexb » Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:12 pm

Hi there,

Many apologies if this has already been discussed someone else, but I couldn’t find the information elsewhere. I am a British Citizen marrying a Colombian national in May in a C of E Church. She currently holds a PSW until January 2013. We have been told by our Registrar that all admin will be dealt with through the Church, so our vicar seems to think that a Common Licence will be needed.

Anyway, my question is – as my girlfriend is subject to immigration control, is she required to give notice to the Registrar? This is what it states on the UKBA website, so I’m a bit concerned, even though our Registrar and vicar seem to think it’s not necessary.

Thanks so much for your help

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Re: Giving notice for a marrige

Post by Greenie » Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:23 pm

essexb wrote:Hi there,

Many apologies if this has already been discussed someone else, but I couldn’t find the information elsewhere. I am a British Citizen marrying a Colombian national in May in a C of E Church. She currently holds a PSW until January 2013. We have been told by our Registrar that all admin will be dealt with through the Church, so our vicar seems to think that a Common Licence will be needed.

Anyway, my question is – as my girlfriend is subject to immigration control, is she required to give notice to the Registrar? This is what it states on the UKBA website, so I’m a bit concerned, even though our Registrar and vicar seem to think it’s not necessary.

Thanks so much for your help
You don't usually need to give notice if you are getting married in a Church of England church

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Governmentc ... /DG_175717

essexb
Newly Registered

Post by essexb » Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:58 pm

Thanks for that. I did read that section, but I was just a bit worried as the UKBA website says that notice should be given.

Thanks for your help

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Greenie » Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:00 pm

essexb wrote:Thanks for that. I did read that section, but I was just a bit worried as the UKBA website says that notice should be given.

Thanks for your help
where?

essexb
Newly Registered

Post by essexb » Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:20 pm

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Greenie » Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:22 pm

hmm yes this is misleading but they do refer you to the GRO (who in turn now refer you to the direct gov website), and CofE are the exception to the rule.

essexb
Newly Registered

Post by essexb » Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:58 pm

Yea that was my assumption and I'm sure it will be fine. It's just always a bit of a worry when one set of regs refers you to another, let alone when it's done twice.

I wondered if anyone else had been in a similar situation, but I'm sure we will sort it. I'll post it on here once we do in case it's helpful to other.

Thanks

essexb
Newly Registered

Post by essexb » Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:39 pm

Hi all,

Just in case anyone was interested - wedding went fine and now it's clear - if you are marrying in a C of E church then no notice is required. The vicar acts as a Registrar.

dimmer668
Newly Registered

Post by dimmer668 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:47 am

but I'm sure we will sort it. I'll post it on here once we do in case it's helpful to other. Image