ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Dutch Ancestry

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Marsha
Newly Registered

Dutch Ancestry

Post by Marsha » Tue Oct 24, 2006 11:24 pm

Hi,
Has anyone ever got a passport based on their dutch ancestry in my same situation. Basically, I was born in Canada in 1976 but my parents did not become Canadian Citizens until 1978, so technically I would have been dutch at the time of birth. I am currently living in the UK on a two working holiday visa but would like to have the option of staying here longer or maybe even going to Holland to work. Does this sound realistic or do I not stand a chance? Any thoughts?

Thanks for your help

JAJ
Australia

Re: Dutch Ancestry

Post by JAJ » Wed Oct 25, 2006 12:12 am

Marsha wrote:Hi,
Has anyone ever got a passport based on their dutch ancestry in my same situation. Basically, I was born in Canada in 1976 but my parents did not become Canadian Citizens until 1978, so technically I would have been dutch at the time of birth. I am currently living in the UK on a two working holiday visa but would like to have the option of staying here longer or maybe even going to Holland to work. Does this sound realistic or do I not stand a chance? Any thoughts?
Start here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dutch_nationality_law

You may well have lost Dutch nationality when your parents did, or on the basis of long residence outside the Netherlands. If that is the case you need to investigate what rights you have to reclaim it.

If you have lost your citizenship, and are not eligible for immediate resumption of citizenship, then you may still have some immigration rights in the Netherlands as a former citizen. Start at http://www.ind.nl

joesoap101
Member of Standing

Post by joesoap101 » Wed Oct 25, 2006 5:09 pm

The Dutch are extremely fussy about nationality, i lived in holland for 2 years. A friend of mine from the US was kinda looking into it as her mom is dutch, but once you naturalise in another country you lose your dutch nationality.

Another friend of mine who is dutch was born in honduras and subsequently had to endure harrassment from the dutch authorities and told she was not allowed to have a honduranian passport and that she would have to follow an 'inburgering' course (integration course) which is absurd seeing that she had a dutch passport.

Generally there is a procedure for 'oud-nederlanders' or previous citizens, however this is very complex and you would need professional help with that.

http://www.ind.nl/en/verblijfwijzer/ver ... re&lang=nl

Marsha
Newly Registered

Thanks

Post by Marsha » Wed Oct 25, 2006 10:20 pm

Hi,
thanks to you both for getting back to me so fast. I see that my prospects are maybe not so promising but I will try anyways - I figure all they can say is no. I will also look in to the websites you gave me. Thanks again,

Marsha

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Wed Oct 25, 2006 11:38 pm

joesoap101 wrote:The Dutch are extremely fussy about nationality, i lived in holland for 2 years. A friend of mine from the US was kinda looking into it as her mom is dutch, but once you naturalise in another country you lose your dutch nationality.
Not if you fall into one of the exemptions of the 2003 Nationality Act and the foreign citizenship was acquired on or after 1 April 2003.

jkeuning
Newly Registered

Dutch Nationality

Post by jkeuning » Tue Oct 31, 2006 8:10 pm

Marsha,

I am also Canadian. I was able to obtain my Dutch Nationality and then Dutch passport back in 2004. My dad and grandparents were born in The Netherlands then came to Canada in the early 1950's. I contacted the Dutch Consulate General office in Toronto, ON and they send me a form to fill out to see if I qualify for Dutch Citizenship. Their website is: www.dutchconsulate.toronto.on.ca.

Apparently when my grandparents became Canadian citizens around 1959, my dad was only a child (minor) so they determined he did not give up his Dutch citizenship and therefore still had Dutch citizenship when I was born in 1973. Apparently I automatically had Dutch citizenship at birth, but lost it when I turned 28 as one had to apply for proof of Dutch citizenship before your 28th birthday or you lost it. I was totally unaware of this till after the fact.

They did have a special program to allow people who lost their Dutch citizenship to apply to regain it, but I believe that you had to apply before March 31, 2005. So it might be too late. It was called "Optieverklaring". You may want to check that out, as it could have been extended.

Hope this helps!

Jeff

Marsha
Newly Registered

Thanks Jeff

Post by Marsha » Wed Nov 01, 2006 7:18 pm

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for the info. That is so interesting that after two generations you were still able to get your Dutch citizenship. Did you have to give up your Canadian citizenship for that, because I have read that is sometimes required? How easy was the process? I have just given the embassy here in London some of my documents and parents naturalization papers to determine whether I am eligable to apply for the passport. The thing that kind of annoys me is that a few years ago I was looking into this and talked to the consulate in Calgary but they barely listened to me and said I had no chance. I have just found out now that I would have been considered Dutch at birth and actually did have a chance. Ahhhh! Anyways, I just had to vent. I'll cross my fingers and hope there's a loophole.

Thanks again,

Marsha

jkeuning
Newly Registered

Dutch Nationality

Post by jkeuning » Thu Nov 02, 2006 6:48 am

Marsha,

No, I did not have to give up my Canadian citizenship. From what I understand Canada and The Netherlands both allow dual citizenship in this case. If you were to go through the normal naturalization process, then yes, they would make you give up your current citizenship to obtain Dutch citizenship. Check out this website: www.cic.gc.ca/EnGlish/citizen/dualci_e.html. Dutch citizenship laws say I had Dutch citizenship at birth, I just filed out the forms they sent me to "regain it".

The process was fairly easy actually. The form they sent me was about 4 or 5 pages long. They wanted to know when and where I was born, where my dad was born, when he and my grandparents came to Canada, where my grandparents were born, when did they get married, when did they obtain their Canadian citizenship etc. It was actually pretty detailed. Then I just had to mail it back to them with a fee of $200 some odd Canadian dollars along with certain documents i.e. birth certificates etc., and that was it. They mailed the documents back saying it was approved and they gave me a letter to use inorder to apply for my Dutch passport. The process only took a month or so. I then applied for the Dutch passport which was around $74 Canadian dollars back in 2004. That also took about a month to receive.

So far I have not done anything with it, but I figured it is good to have just in case. In 2004 when I did all this, this option to regain Dutch citizenship was only allowed until March 31, 2005 as I mentioned earlier. I figured I better do it cause if I don't, I would probably kick myself later.

Hope this helps. I am hoping to one day move to The Netherlands or another EU country if I can find "the right job". So far, I have applied for jobs in Europe, but they say they are only able to hire local people, or I just never hear back from them. I figure my Canadian education does not help, as anything I've learned here won't apply in Europe.

Jeff

Marsha
Newly Registered

Post by Marsha » Thu Nov 02, 2006 12:51 pm

[quote
]I am hoping to one day move to The Netherlands or another EU country if I can find "the right job". So far, I have applied for jobs in Europe, but they say they are only able to hire local people, or I just never hear back from them. I figure my Canadian education does not help, as anything I've learned here won't apply in Europe.
Hi Jeff,

I think you may have better luck if you moved here first. I'm not sure what education you have but I am sure you would have no problem finding a job in the UK. There are tonnes of recruitment agencies and if you are able to be there on a permanent basis (which you would be able to because it is an EU country) you have a better chance of finding a good job. Because I am on the Working Holiday Visa it is a bit more of a hassle, but I know lots of Australians, New Zealanders and South Africans etc with Ancestry Visas who are working good jobs. But like I said, I think you almost have to take a leap of faith and move here first. Anyways, hope that helps.
Also I am totally amazed at how easy it was for you to get the passport. I should have contacted the office in Toronto instead of Calgary years ago. Oh well, we'll see how it goes.

Cheers,

Marsha[/quote]

milky
Newly Registered

Dutch ancestry visas for Barons

Post by milky » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:06 pm

Hi,
has anyone come across what the process would be for people who are Barons. I'm Australian and my grandfather was dutch POW through Indonesia and never returned to The Netherlands. I wouldn't know if he naturalised or not but he is on record and our family's history dates back to the early 1800s. My father was born in Australia and has Baron on his birth certificate. I've looked through the websites, not sure if the title holds anymore value. If someone could shed light this, would be much appreciated

Cheers
Christian