ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Q: Naturalisation based on spouse of a NEW irish citizen?

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

xxxtieee

Q: Naturalisation based on spouse of a NEW irish citizen?

Post by xxxtieee » Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:41 pm

Here is a question that is not clarified well on this forum yet. I could find only speculations.

Case: My spouse and I are married for the last 3 years and we are both residents here for more than the same period (my wife = 9+ years). My wife got her citizenship last month. Can I apply for citizenship based on the fact that I am the spouse of an Irish citizen?

The following statement in the eligibility clause confuses me:
"You must be married to or in a recognised civil partnership* with the Irish citizen for at least 3 years "

so, does the count for 3 years start:
a) when your spouse turns into a citizen?? OR
b) when you are married to the person who is currently a citizen?

Does anybody have confirmed answers and not speculations?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Cheers
-xxxtieee-

xxxtieee

Post by xxxtieee » Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:43 am

I am sure there will be a few who have had some experience. Please share if you know anything.

Majority of posts in this forum are viewed less than 100 times. So before this post dies without an answer, there are another 30+ views left.

Cheers
-xxxtieee-

fatty patty

Post by fatty patty » Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:26 am

The DoJ's requirement on this is very vague. But if you take their word for it it said married to an "Irish citizen" for no less than 3 years and at no point it goes in details regarding naturalised citizens etc. My take on this is once your spouse is Irish and you are married you are classed as Irish spouse.

Eastend

Re: Q: Naturalisation based on spouse of a NEW irish citizen

Post by Eastend » Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:49 am

xxxtieee wrote:Here is a question that is not clarified well on this forum yet. I could find only speculations.

Case: My spouse and I are married for the last 3 years and we are both residents here for more than the same period (my wife = 9+ years). My wife got her citizenship last month. Can I apply for citizenship based on the fact that I am the spouse of an Irish citizen?

The following statement in the eligibility clause confuses me:
"You must be married to or in a recognised civil partnership* with the Irish citizen for at least 3 years "

so, does the count for 3 years start:
a) when your spouse turns into a citizen?? OR
b) when you are married to the person who is currently a citizen?

Does anybody have confirmed answers and not speculations?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Cheers
If you are married +3 years and your wife already have Irish nationality then you can lodge an application as a spouse of Irish National.

They cound 3 years from the date of marriage cert but make sure you are legal and registered with Garda as wife and husband.

I have the same case and lodge application for my wife and got reference number.

xxxtieee

Post by xxxtieee » Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:37 am

Thaks fatty patty and Eastend,

It is kinda unclear, and the fact that they ask for the origin of the irish citizenship almost swings it to the arguement of fatty patty.

It is reassuring to hear that Eastend's application is accepted at the first stage. Although, there is no surity of approval, it would be good to hear back from Eastend on how things progress.

Thanks again
-xxxtieee-

Eastend

Post by Eastend » Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:56 am

xxxtieee wrote:Thaks fatty patty and Eastend,

It is kinda unclear, and the fact that they ask for the origin of the irish citizenship almost swings it to the arguement of fatty patty.

It is reassuring to hear that Eastend's application is accepted at the first stage. Although, there is no surity of approval, it would be good to hear back from Eastend on how things progress.

Thanks again
Not only the accept my application but also they issue a reference number and you know you get reference number if your application is a valid application.

Second i applied for my kid at the same time and already have his approval. i am sure spouse and kid have same timeline for naturalization as dependent of a new Irish citizen.

i know few more people those applied in the same way.

xxxtieee

Post by xxxtieee » Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:34 am

Hi Eastend,

That clears up my question.

Thanks very much. And good luck with your application.

Cheers
-xxxtieee-